Disabling wifi transmission of a wireless router for certain times of the day - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-03-02, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks Tikker. I've been on ASUS website and looked at the UI and it seems easy to use.
The RT-N56U is less expensive than the Airport Extreme and seems to have all the features (ie 4 wired ports, printer port) that I need.

Since I'll have the radio off for periods of the day, I'll have to use one of my wired Windows servers to go in and turn it back on outside of the timer schedule.
I didn't see Mac OS as an option on their download site so I'm going to assume I can't use my wired iMac to access the UI.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 01:58 PM

Wired is wired as long as it can load a webpage

It also has USB port, can do some basic dlna streaming
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2014-09-08, 04:36 PM

Want schedule similar to DIR-655

I liked the WiFi schedule that was supported by the D-Link DIR-655, but always hated the router because it required rebooting all the time. We have the Rogers router now which doesn't support schedules, so I want to put it in bridge mode and buy a separate router that supports WiFi scheduling.

I am gun-shy re: going back to a DIR-655, because I want a router that doesn't require constant rebooting.

Any suggestions?

Cisco 8642 500Gb PVR

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2014-09-08, 04:47 PM
Veteran

Just about anything but a D-Link is better. Asus has some very nice routers. The RT56 and RT66 models are good performers and have lots of features. I don't see any scheduling options for the RT-N66U in access point mode. It probably has them in router mode (which is what you want) but it's worth checking out. It will also flash with DD-WRT firmware which definitely does scheduling (and lots more.)

Tags
wifi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in