Two graphics cards - one computer - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-01-04, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Two graphics cards - one computer

I got an Asus HD 6570 PCIe card for Christmas. Looks fantastic on my Samsung plasma TV. Here's the problem...

My computer has a dual function - personal computer and HTPC. In the past, I was using the onboard nvidia 8200 video - VGA to the desktop monitor, HDMI to the TV. When the TV turned on, the desktop monitor went blank and the graphic properties of the plasma took effect. It worked, but I now find that the HD6570 video quality (on the TV) to be much better.

With the new video card, desktop monitor and TV do not play nice. The graphics drivers try to force the TV graphics properties on the computer monitor - causing poor picture quality on it.

What I thought I could do was to run the old nvidia card for the desktop monitor and the new card for the television. I made the changes required in the BIOS. Both sets of video drivers appear in Win7 Device Manager. However, the drivers for the HD6570 seem to override the nvidia drivers and still tries to create a dual screen setup.

Any thoughts to a fix?

As a side note, I really hope that one day I can provide assistance to people on this board rather than always be the one that's asking questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-01-04, 05:02 PM

in windows proporties are you selecting clone? or some other setting like expanded desktop?

you should be able to run both off the 1 card without issue.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-01-04, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

I am running as a duplicate (clone) screen now. The problem is that the new card driver is trying to force 1080i resolution through the VGA connection. As a result, I get a horrible image on the desktop monitor.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-01-04, 10:53 PM
Veteran

The best remedy for that would be a TV capable of 1080p. If that's not possible, setting up dual screens is the best way to go. The Hydravision drivers from the AMD web site may be needed. Make sure the version matches the video drivers. Haven't used them lately so not sure of all the latest details. With dual screens, the desktop will only be visible on one, preferably the monitor. IIRC, desktop shortcuts for required programs can be placed on the second screen (TV) and they can be configured to run there by default. Running programs can also be dragged or transferred between screens.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 08:59 AM
Veteran

Extend the desktop. Then each screen will can run separate resolutions.
That works for me, but on all the systems I do or did that, I have a single GPU that has multiple outputs.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 09:30 AM

I know it is "possible" to have NVidia and AMD drivers play together, but it is never without constant challenges. I think this may be the crux of your issue.

I might suggest removing all drivers (use the driver removal tool from the OEMs), then disable the onboard VGA driver. Afterwards, reinstall the add-in card and drivers then you should be able to use the extended desktop feature (or clone), as previously suggested from your new 6570. It should work like a champ.

Best of luck!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-01-18, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to buy a DVI cable for the desktop monitor. Perhaps the VGA connection didn't match well with the HDMI connected plasma TV.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-02-20, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

I think I've messed things up completely...

I added the DVI cable - which greatly improved the image on the desktop flat screen monitor. It did nothing to improve the communication between the PC and my HDTV. It actually made the situation worse. Now, I have crashing software on my PC - mostly WMC and TMT. I am unable to open/see movies anymore - which leads me to believe this is a graphics issue. I opened a support ticket with Arcsoft - they indicate that it's a graphics issue too.

I have tried to undo what I had done. I removed the AMD graphics card and all supporting drivers. I changed the BIOS back to the onboard nvidia 8200 and reinstalled its required drivers. Now I still have the crashing applications and the TV is not recognized through HDMI. The TV screen has an error message, indicating that what the PC is sending is "not a supported mode".

I unplugged the desktop monitor and reinstalled the graphics drivers with only the TV connected (thinking that the resolutions between desktop and TV were conflicting). No fix.

I'm now wondering if a complete o/s reinstallation is required (ugh). I don't know what to do next.

Nothing's ever easy...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-02-20, 04:39 PM

Don't panic. Did you consider doing a system restore from before you added all these new things? Might save you a ton of headaches.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-02-20, 04:44 PM

You could try booting into safe mode with just the TV connected. Then you can set the proper video mode and boot back to normal mode. You might have to redo the setup in WMC to get the video working. Try Tasks/TV/Configure your TV or monitor.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-02-21, 12:35 AM
Veteran

I would try to get it stable with the monitor only first, if only because it will be easier. TVs can sometimes be finicky to get working right. Uninstall the crashing applications, then any video drivers. If the software and drivers don't uninstall cleanly, look for driver and application cleanup utilities or instructions on the publishers' sites. (There are generic uninstaller and cleanup utilities but they should only be used as a last resort, and then with caution.) If no cleanup utility is available, it can sometimes take two uninstalls and installs to clean out the crud from a corrupted software or driver installation. Then install the video driver and the applications, in that order.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-02-21, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers, what I think are corrupted software applications - 3 times and same results.

I did the above in Safe Mode - same results.

Windows Update overwrote my restore point (grrr), so I can't go back to before all of this started.

I am resigned to the fact that I need to do a clean o/s install - start from scratch. Too much has been adjusted.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-02-21, 01:02 PM

You can't go back even before that install?

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-02-21, 01:11 PM
Veteran

Try this first. Open a command window (cmd) as administrator and type the command: sfc /scannow. It will check the integrity of Windows.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-02-21, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

No integrity violations in Windows - as per the scan. As I'm having no luck with the onboard graphics card, I think I should install the AMD card again and see if I have better luck with it.

It is difficult to go back and use Restore, as I created too many in this process.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in