Which Router? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Which Router?

Hi: I'm going to replace my D-link DIR-655 very soon as with now using the following devices: PC,PS3(streaming from netflix),Ipad 3, Laptop, sometimes 2 or more of these items it seems really is no longer able to do the job(If I'm using say my CPU(On youtube) and have a person using anything else listed above the youtube video's really lag to the point I go off the net,conversely if I'm the only person using the network it runs just fine. Will be upgrading the network card using a D-link DWA-552 (I think that is the model number?)Here are what has been recommended so far what do you think? Thanks for the help!!

Netgear Dual-Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router (R6300)

Asus Wireless N Router (RT-N66U)

ASUS Dual-Band Wireless Gigabit Router (RT-AC66U)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 03:18 PM

Have you checked your network speed? just a thought

Panasonic PT47WX53, Humax HFA100, Denon AVR 1610 surround, CM4228 Antenna, WD TVlive
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 03:23 PM
Member #1

That router has 1 GB ethernet ports so I doubt a new router will solve your issue.

To improve, make sure all your NICS are Gigabit and avoid wireless connections and go wired.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 03:37 PM
Veteran

The Asus RT-N66U is generally considered to be top of the pack right now. It does come with a hefty price tag though. The RT-AC66U makes bigger claims but doesn't deliver a whole lot more in terms of speed. To take full advantage, it will also be necessary to upgrade the PC wireless to a simultaneous dual band card with similar capabilities (ideally the matching ASUS version.) Another thing that often helps is to place an access point in a more central location. The AP would ideally be wired. Many routers can be configured as access points and configurations can vary with need. As Hugh stated, wired connections to streaming PCs is much better.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 04:02 PM
Veteran

I can't speak for the ASUS stuff, but Netgear has some really decent dual band gigabit hardware for around the $100.00 mark. I don't know if others do this as well, but Netgear has a QOS setting for streaming video over wireless that seems to help for Netflix, Youtube etc. It wasn't good enough however to stream 1080i recordings from Windows Media Center to Xbox 360 acting as an extender. For this I had to add a 200Mbps power line adapter to one of the gigabit ports for the Xbox.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-10-23, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi: Thanks for the repiles so far!!! Here is a stupid question, which devices run on which 2.4ghz or 5ghz. I have the following devices PS3, Apple TV 3, Ipad 3,Iphone 4 ,Laptop.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-10-28, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

The winner is.....

I'll be buying a Asus Wireless N Router (RT-N66U) in the next 7-10 days!!! Thanks for the help!!!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-10-30, 10:20 PM

I've watched from Linksys to asus in the last year and I a, very pleased
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-10-30, 11:08 PM
Veteran

Another option is the ASUS RT-N56U Black Diamond router. It's almost as good as the RT-N66U but the street price looks like it just dropped. That makes the RT-N56U a very good deal at about $60 cheaper than the RT-N66U. The wireless speed is rated lower for the RT-N56U but the maximum is rarely achieved anyway. Most wireless devices are stuck at much slower speeds than the RT-N66U is rated at. The RT-N66U has the external antennas, which help a bit with range but that requirement depends on local factors.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-11-10, 06:28 PM

Wow, I've also been thinking about a new router.

Wife and I like to play online poker and she's been having connection issues on her mac mini which is supposed to be wireless. Bad connection. Tried wired, still bad connection. Nothing like watching your buyin get whittled away as your cards get auto folded and there's nothing you can do about it.

I've been researching which one is the best to buy for the day. Nothing but conflicting information to be found. The number one rated on one site was called an absolute piece of junk on another. Very frustrating.

I found this thread today and checked out some reviews of some of the ones mentioned. Again, mixed reviews. Some said great value, others said "buy it if you absolutely have to."

At the end of the day, I guess you just have to bite the bullet and pull the trigger. Like everything else, life is a gamble.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-11-19, 02:25 AM

Also looking for a router to replace my older Trendnet which keeps dropping out. Besides the highly rated Asus RT - N66U I have read about new Lynksys 6500 and WD My Net 900 with 7 Gigabit Ethernet Ports from Costco or other sources. Maybe there will be some sales for Black Friday!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-11-20, 04:53 PM

I was looking at replacing an aging wireless router myself, wanted a dual-band as I have some G devices, some 2.4G N devices, and 1 or 2 5.4G N devices.
So after reading this thread, decided on the Asus N66U.
I have a personal hate for Asus motherboards, but I'll put that aside for now

Got it set up last night and seems to be working fairly well. The manual is useless, but most of the web-based config is reasonably intuitive.

So far so good.

Panasonic TH46PZ80 , Samsung PN50B850
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-02, 04:48 PM

I see that the spec of that Asus router does not mention if it has IPV6 support. The downloadable manual doesn't mention it either. I am sure that the device will, sooner or later, get an upgrade but why not buy one with the support already there.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-03, 06:59 PM

I've owned at least a half dozen routers over the last 15 years or so.

A couple of Linksys units, a D-Link and a couple of Netgears.

The Linksys units were serviceable and generally I have no big complaints about them. However they were not outstanding in any way.

The D-Link was marginal at best. It could not even see a wifi connection 15 feet down to a first story. It's the reason I looked at Netgear; the D-Link didn't last even 3 months in service before I gave up on it.

The first Netgear was, in contrast to the Linksys, outstanding. It never gave me one bit of trouble whatsoever, and I could connect to it 200 yards away from a different building.

The second Netgear was just as good.

I don't suppose I have to tell you what my third would be if I were buying today.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-03, 11:31 PM

I used couples of routers from different companies including NetGear, D-link, Linksys, and Asus. You can't tell which brand is the best because they have both good and bad models.
I just returned my Asus RT-N56U because it was not better than my previous Linksys WRT310N (a bad apple) and much more expensive ($105 on sale).
I'm using WD My Net N750 (WD just entering the market for media contents), (Dual bands, Gigabyte LAN, $100 on sale). It solves all my problems from my old Linksys router, so far I'm happy with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in