Which Router? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-03, 11:43 PM
Rookie

Sounds like a problem with your config. I run a DIR-655, my family have no problems running 2 netflix streams, surfing the web on multiple tablets, and/or playing PS3 at the same time. I'd look into that before you spend money on a new router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-04, 11:34 AM

I have a Bell/Sympatico 2Wire that seems to have a personality. I understand I can just use it as a modem and resurrect an older (4-5 years) Netgear router. Do routers, or the demands we make of them, require newer technology than that?

Yamaha HTR 5920, Windows 7 HTPC, Hauppauge 7164
CM 4228, CM 7777, 50' tower
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-04, 06:29 PM

Netgear R6300 has fantastic Wireless N speed and range in my experience

I had a Dlink DIR-825 previously and found the range with Wireless N to be awful as the signal in my home has to travel through one floor and through a couple of walls. My house is wooden frame construction but still the signal would drop off after only travelling a short distance.

I replaced the Dlink with the R6300 and straight away noticed that the signal reaches a far greater distance and is much stronger and more reliable.

Before the R6300 I was thinking that I had to start adding power line adapters (hard wired Ethernet wasn't really an option)

My R6300 has been running flawlessly for months. The only real criticism is that the parental controls are pretty basic on the R6300 compared to the Dlink. Netgear seem to think that using openDns is sufficient but in my experience I need control over individual ports and individual computers and with different schedules. Also there is the issue that with openDns they don't have an app yet for IOS which allows you to exclude it from the list.

My children are at an age now where I don't need to 'babysit' them and besides, they probably know enough about this stuff to find a way around the parental controls anyway.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-04, 07:21 PM
Veteran

The CHOKE point is your Internet Connection (10's of Mbps if you are lucky.
less than 10 Mbps if you aren't), rather than the Wireless-N connection
(typically 300 Mbps). Unfortunately, the cure is usually a more expensive,
higher speed Internet Connection...and/or perhaps a change to a "better"
provider....

Suggest you run a short Internet Speed Test:
[Search for "dsl stest" or "dsl speed test"] and
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest
http://formyip.com/internet-speed.php
[Notice slow down when chosen test site is further away.....]

And a LONG Download Speed Test to see the effects of THROTTLING:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download

Now to the same tests simultaneously with MULTIPLE devices..
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-04, 08:11 PM
Rookie

Try researching w w w.smallnetbuilder. com - they have extensive specs on most wireless routers on the market. It's a very good resource for router information in my humble opinion. Good luck and don't forget to tell us what you ended up buying or doing.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-04, 09:02 PM
Rookie

I'm using a D Link DIR-825 dual band router, which can stream Netflix, download, Xbox live, watch youtube videos, stream from the xbox. At least. Currently I have a treadmill, two macbook pros, two wireless desktops, two xboxes, two wiis, (soon to add a wiiu and a ouya) two ipods, an iphone connected at any given time, I've had 10 or more devices actively connected at the same time. This router runs everything perfectly.

I did use a DIR-655 for a couple weeks just fine as well but I decided I wanted two bands instead for the future (hadn't signed up for netflix yet). The 655 does have better range but the 825 has all the range I seem to need so I'm happy.

I don't get people who swear off this brand or that, it's odd. Especially without trying specific products first.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-05, 09:33 AM
Rookie

I've had a 'Buffalo AirStation™ HighPower N450 Gigabit Wireless Router' for almost a year, and I love it. Infinitely configurable via the GUI, and if that's not enough, it's Linux based running DD-WRT software so you can access the command line to have more fun as needed. It's b/g/n capable (with the ability to adjust gain, etc) and 10/100/1000M on all ports including WAN. Has VPN capability (to reach your LAN remotely), guest wireless network capable, can be VLAN-aware and so on. Worth a look for the advanced user.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-05, 11:55 AM

I have given a few expensive high end dual band router’s a shot; we have new technology (under 3 months old) mixed with 1-year old tec. Having both high speed DSL and CABLE internet connections.
What I found was all units including the new amassed on the lower band. It became a quest to have at least one unit switch up and use the high band; I was inviting friends over because of a new piece of tech they had purchased. No Luck! I could find nothing that switched up using over the air, wireless methods.

I started manually switching units that had the ability to be switched onto on the high band; most do not have the ability to be assigned to the high band. Internet connection speed and ISP bandwidth come into play; this also changes with congestion on the band from your ISP and time of day constraints.

When assigned to the high band all units ran slower than on the lower band, some switched back to the lower band.
I wanted to spend a couple hundred dollars on a router but found in my case with my connection I got better connections without knock offs along with faster speeds with a single low bandwidth affordable router.
Has anyone else done actual bandwidth speed tests on their own routers to determine if using a dual band router is of any consequence at your location, with your ISP and at a specific time?
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-05, 12:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands
The CHOKE point is your Internet Connection (10's of Mbps if you are lucky.
less than 10 Mbps if you aren't), rather than the Wireless-N connection
(typically 300 Mbps).
Funny. Wireless routers almost never get anywhere near their theoretical (read: advertised) performance levels.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 01:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moehunter View Post
I have given a few expensive high end dual band router’s a shot; we have new technology (under 3 months old) mixed with 1-year old tec. Having both high speed DSL and CABLE internet connections.
What I found was all units including the new amassed on the lower band. It became a quest to have at least one unit switch up and use the high band; I was inviting friends over because of a new piece of tech they had purchased. No Luck! I could find nothing that switched up using over the air, wireless methods.

I started manually switching units that had the ability to be switched onto on the high band; most do not have the ability to be assigned to the high band. Internet connection speed and ISP bandwidth come into play; this also changes with congestion on the band from your ISP and time of day constraints.

When assigned to the high band all units ran slower than on the lower band, some switched back to the lower band.
I wanted to spend a couple hundred dollars on a router but found in my case with my connection I got better connections without knock offs along with faster speeds with a single low bandwidth affordable router.
Has anyone else done actual bandwidth speed tests on their own routers to determine if using a dual band router is of any consequence at your location, with your ISP and at a specific time?
Are you saying that you tried running only the wireless N on the 5ghz band and everything else at the 2.4 ghz band and everything was slower???
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-12-09, 12:46 PM

I’m sorry I’m not quite sure what you’re asking?

All my devices are up too n compliant. Assigning device actions to the high band, torrents, gaming, and streaming is a rob Peter to pay Paul situation; put a device on one and it reduces the others ability as both bands conceptual max is 54mb/ps
Manufactures have over marketed to the home computing market when in fact few will ever benefit, but they have covered themselves by defaulting to the min, low G For the max profits.

Last edited by 57; 2012-12-20 at 04:30 PM. Reason: UQR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in