Anyone here have a Raspberry Pi? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 2012-11-26, 10:51 AM
Veteran

I ordered one from Allied Aug-Sept and was told to wait until Dec but mine showed up in late Oct. Early Oct is when they started shipping the 512mb model but I ended up with a 256mb.

I loaded up XBMC for RPi copied a few .MP4 files to a usb stick, popped it in and play back was awesome. That is all I have done with it so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 2012-11-26, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

What a coincidence - I haven't heard from them in a long time but I just got an email from Allied Electronics saying that my Pi will ship no later than Dec 21. It almost makes me think that they are monitoring this forum!
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 2012-12-12, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

My Pi finally arrived - order date Sep 4, 2012, product received on Dec 12, 2012. Three months and eight days.

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 2012-12-12, 05:04 PM
Veteran

Congrats! Did you manage to get a 512Mb Pi? You can tell like this.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 2012-12-12, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I think so but the text on the chip is so small that I will need a magnifying glass to see for sure.

edit - it is a 4G so I am good. It sure is hard to read that printing on the SoC.
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-02-06, 11:15 PM
Veteran

How have you Pi owners been enjoying it? Done anything cool?

I just got one the other day, intending to turn it into an XBMC media player to stream content from my NAS, as well as using some of XBMC's interesting add-ons.
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I have three Pis but I haven't spent too much time playing with them. I have installed RaspBMC and have this running but it isn't really totally configured.

I was planning on using one as a temperature sensor/logger in my wine cabinet using this project: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/freshers/ras...s/temperature/

And I have been thinking about using one as a PBX using IncrediblePBX http://nerdvittles.com/?p=3026
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 05:08 PM
Veteran

I played with XBMC on it as well. Almost tried the other day to get Chromium on it. I Really can't wait to try it as a Minecraft client. That should be fun! Sadly its been sitting collecting dust mostly.
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-02-11, 11:33 PM
Veteran

I have mine up and running with XBMC now (RaspBMC). Very impressed. Works great as a media extender, streaming 1080p movies from the NAS. Hardly a hiccup. Coupled with an iPhone remote control app, it's great. Even can control it via my TV remote via HDMI-CEC. Also installed some of the goodies like 1Channel and IceFilms on it. Very pleased so far!
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-02-15, 09:25 AM
Veteran

MinecraftPi released!

Installed Raspbain "wheezy" on a new 8GB Sandisk high speed card from Superstore ($19.00) and loaded up Minecraft! It's a port of the Android version with much less features such as no survival mode, but it ran really smooth.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-02-21, 08:26 PM
Rookie

PIs may be available locally from Sayal and Active Electronics. I bought one a few months ago from Active for $50, and I seen them for sale at Sayal for a bit more. I bought one of those inexpensive plastic cases which makes it much easier to handle.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 11:43 AM
dgm

Received a Raspberry Pi as a Christmas gift and just recently started to fiddle with it. Purchased a small TV (1080P, 22", $150) with HDMI to serve as monitor.

This worked straight away with the supplied OS. All set if I wanted to write PEARL and "C". Didn't.

The main app I found, a media center, was an implementation of XBMC for the Pi called "Raspbmc". It was one of three on offer, reviews of it, "OpenELEC" and "Xbian" indicated the latter were more particular. May try them later.

In any case, downloaded Raspbmc and put it on a fast SD card, put the SD in the Pi, connected and powered up. After some waiting and burps the assembly came to life and I now have a XBMC media centre which performs quite well. Plays videos from my laptop hard drive at 1080P over the LAN flawlessly and steams material from the internet (YouTube etc.) though that is slow in the condo.

Remote control is an app on the iPhone/iPad. Cool.

Using SSH from a laptop to log into the RPi running 1080p shows CPU utilization about 60-80% so there is a little headroom. 720p runs ~ 30%.

Works with AirPlay as well !

Have not previously used XBMC so having fun exploring that now.

Last edited by dgm; 2013-03-04 at 12:26 PM.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 02:00 PM
Veteran

I have been trying to use it as a desktop OS with "wheezy" loaded. It is painfully slow and I don't really like Midori much as a browser. It was much better at a Media Center with Raspbmc purpose built. Too bad there isn't Chrome ported to it.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 02:39 PM

Raspberry Pi

I have had mine for 6 months or so and just ordered a couple more.
I have used the first one to run XMBC - more on that in a minute.

Plan to use the next two for another XMBC box and the other one as a file server.

Have tried both the XMBC releases, i.e. Raspbmc & Openelec. Both work pretty well with a few common frustrations.

1) Biggest problem is getting Wi-Fi to work. I have half a dozen Wi-Fi dongles ranging from really old to pretty new. None of them have worked. Even when I go look at the recommended dongles, you still see people saying they can't get them to work. You can not drop to a terminal window so you have to use SSH to debug. BUT you can not have both a wired network and a Wi-Fi network at the same time. Makes it almost impossible to trouble shoot the Wi-Fi connection.

2) Remapping the TV remote would be pretty easy IF there was a way to capture the remote transmitted key ID. They tell you to use debug and look for the keys, but that is an exercise in frustration since the debug captures everything and you have to sort through a long list of commands looking for a specific key entry. Worse, the log seems to be written to file with a long delay. So you can't just press a key and then go read the log.

3) Using the Analog audio out has a number a issues - the worst is clicking/popping when the audio is stopped/started. For example between tracks, when jumping forward or back during video playback, etc. There are a few work arounds but I have not been able to make any of them work. (And I am a pretty experienced geek). There is also seems to be a lot of noise on the output. These appear to be hardware related issues not related to XMBC. The HDMI sound works great, but I hate to leave the TV on when listening to music.

4) I have a 40,000 file music library, Raspberry/XMBC apparently can't handle that size. Simply crashes. I am hoping the 512M version solves this problem.

5) The Web interface seems to crash freeze / not work quite a bit.

Sounds pretty negative, but all in all I like it enough to have ordered two more!

Last edited by snowman53; 2013-03-04 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Wasn't Done!
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 03:40 PM
Veteran

The Raspberry Pi was designed as an educational computer, not a fully functional PC. Getting it to run XBMC, or any other high level application, well is quite an achievement. I've got an old 1.2GHz P3 mATX motherboard that I play around with for stuff like this. It sounds like the RP is actually better and at a tiny fraction of the size.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in