I've had enough of this!!! (D-Link 615 wireless router) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

I've had enough of this!!! (D-Link 615 wireless router)

I'm seriously ready to throw my D-Link 615 wireless router out the window and hope that the garbage truck driving by runs it over.

For some reason, it keeps giving me problems. I use it to wirelessly stream Netlifx to my Xbox 360 or Wii and I've never been able to get online without having to unplug the unit and plug it back in. As soon as I turn my modem on (I turn it off when I'm not using it because it gets quite hot) I get an orange light on my router each and every time. I have never been able to get it to work without an orange light.

When my modem is off, the router's lights are all green but as soon I turn on my modem, the orange light comes on and that means it won't work. I did confirm with my ISP that my internet account is active and working...so I know it's not that (one time I was on the phone with D-Link tech support for nearly an hour only to find out that my internet was down ) so needless to say, I always call and check with my isp first to rule that out.

I know it's not my modem because modems aren't that sensitive as router's are. Before I give up and go out and buy a 30 ft RJ45 cable and set up a wired connection, is there a reason why my router keeps crapping out on me? I bought it brand new roughly 1 year ago. I set it up according to what D-Link's tech support told me but for some reason, it's just not working out for me. It's as if the settings keep getting reset every time I unplug it. Could this be the reason? Btw, I don't turn off my router at night...it actually stays on all day.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this before I go nuts!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 11:10 AM

Who is your ISP and what make and model of modem did they give you?

I'm wondering about the order you power up the equipment. Usually it is modem first, then router. But, I keep both on a single power bar and power them up at the same time.

Samsung LN40A550, Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 64 X2 3800, XFX HD One 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray, Windows 7
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 11:11 AM

Have you updated the firmware?

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael DeAbreu View Post
Who is your ISP and what make and model of modem did they give you?

I'm wondering about the order you power up the equipment. Usually it is modem first, then router. But, I keep both on a single power bar and power them up at the same time.
I'm with Velcom and I have purchased my own equipment. My router is a D-Link 615 and I have a Tenda modem (just purchased 3 months ago).

I did forget to mention in my post that I'm on a dry loop connection (I cut my land line).

Magnet: How do I check to see if it's current? And if it's not, please provide a step by step on how to update it. Also, what will a firmware update do? I highly doubt it'll fix my problem. I think it's more about my modem and router not communicating properly.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 12:41 PM

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solu...s-n-300-router

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 12:43 PM
Veteran

Seems to me the solution is staring you in the face. Either don't turn the modem off or turn the router off as well.

D-link firmware updates are available from the D-link site. An improperly installed or incorrect update can brick the router so proceed with caution.

Quote:
I know it's not my modem because modems aren't that sensitive as router's are.
Huh???

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link magnet. I'll be sure to try it once I get home tonight.

What I meant by saying "sensitive" was that there's not much you can do wrong with a modem because there's really no settings to change compared to a router's settings which require you to know what you're doing. I just find modems to work alot better or more than routers do. If there's something wrong with the connection at home chances are it's the router. That's what I meant Bob.

I'm not worried about bricking the router.....doesn't seem to work most of the time anyways. Gives me a reason to get rid of it if I **** it up. As for leaving my modem on all day.....it gets really hot. Does that mean it'll end up like my 1st gen Xbox 360?

Thanks again folks.

Last edited by 57; 2012-08-16 at 03:01 PM. Reason: UQR
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 02:15 PM

I used to have the 615 as well. Like you, I would get the orange soccer ball icon instead of green. I had installed the firmware but nothing made it come back to life. When I checked how long I had it for, it was deemed pass its shelf life. You might be there as well.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Well, if that's the case, that really sucks. I just got it last year.

Well...there's always the good old reliable cat5 right? I think I'll just head over to Canada Computers and pick me up some. Might be tripping on it once in a while but if it means a reliable connection so be it!

Last edited by 57; 2012-08-16 at 03:01 PM. Reason: UQR
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 03:05 PM

I had the 615. Moved to a 825. Had that for about six months. Threw it in the garbage (recycle) and bought an Airport Extreme. Have never been so happy in the 5 years I have had high speed at my house. I am on Eastlink Cable. I am a fairly heavy user with multiple streaming from internet, local Lan and xbox live. I will never ever buy a dlink or linksys router again. This is only my opinion.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 03:25 PM

I have a d-655 d-link, and in the past year I've had to reboot the Shaw Modem about every 3 months while that keeps on chugging.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 03:59 PM

I've used that router before.....nothing but problems. Take a look in to flashing it with DD-WRT firmware.....rock solid once you do it.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 04:27 PM
Veteran

I'll never buy D-Link again. Nothing but trouble for me.

IIRC, they don't provide enough flashing current when the EEPROM spikes to 15VDC, which means the update process is extremely risky. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 11:04 PM

If you do a search on the DIR-615, you'll see that it seems to die pretty quickly. It's like too much data confuses/fries its brain. Very weak router if you ask me.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-17, 11:15 AM
Veteran

My frustrations with DLink and their customer service can be found in this thread.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142546

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in