I've had enough of this!!! (D-Link 615 wireless router) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-17, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Well, I went to go check out Canada Computers yesterday and I decided to buy a 50ft cat5e cable and hooked it up last night. Took me about 30 minutes to figure out that I needed to input my username and password in my Xbox 360 in order to get it to work.

When I was there I did see lots of routers and I will definitely come back here and ask which one you guys recommend. Ever since I had this happen to me it sort of leaves a bit taste in my mouth about D-Link.

Do you necessarily have to go spend $60+ bucks to get something reliable? They have some inexpensive TP Link models.

Anyone recommend something on here:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...th=27_1046_365

I know everyone's experience with a specific brand will differ....but is there a really good choice for say under $50 bucks? Is there a huge difference with only one antenna as opposed to 2?

This time around I'm going to be making a better choice with your help of course! Suggestions from that link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-17, 11:54 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Had a D-Link WBR-2310 in the past and had issues when WPA2 encryption was enabled where no clients were able to associate and hold a connection. No problems when using WPA encryption instead and updating the firmware to the latest version did not work.
I also have a WBR-2310. While I had no problem using WPA2 with it, I found that it would occasionally just drop WiFi connections. I'd have to power down/up to restore operation. I haven't had that sort of problem with other routers or access points I've used.

Quote:
They have some inexpensive TP Link models
I have an TP-Link TL-WA901ND that works well. However, it's an access point and not a router, so if you already have a router and just need WiFi, it's great.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-17, 11:54 AM
Veteran

$60 is probably the minimum you want to spend, and that's on sale. Markups on routers can be fairly high so you definitely want to shop around on the 'net. There are often good deals on recently discontinued models. Canada Computers' prices are reasonable but they can be beaten. I recently purchased a D-Link DIR-827 for it's price/performance ratio (before reading this thread.) I knew it's wireless performance is a bit weak but I don't plan on using it for wireless. It's wired to a Linksys e3000 that is set up as an access point in a better location. (That's two $100+ routers to get decent coverage.) In any case, I didn't pay that much and they do the job. (There are better routers out there but at $150-$250.) The DIR-827 is a PITA to configure and it's reliability doesn't seem as good as the e3000.

There are lot's of sources for router reviews. SmallNetBuilder is a good source of information and their reviews are above average. Newegg and Amazon have lots of end user reviews.

Things to consider are:
1. WAN throughput. Some routers perform better for high speed connections and heavy loads. (Multiple videos and downloads/uploads at the same time on a 10mbps+ internet service.)
2. Range. Some routers perform better at lower signal strengths.
3. Wireless throughput. Some routers perform better at any signal strength.
4. LAN throughput. These days it's better to get a unit with 1GB LAN ports.
5. Feature set. Many OEM firmwares are lacking in features. Make sure you get the ones you need. A router that is DD-WRT compatible opens up a new range of features but is only recommended to people who are comfortable with hacking their router firmware.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-08-21, 12:49 PM

Probably what is happening is every time you power up your modem it is changing IP addresses via your provider and the router needs to be reboot to acquire the address. I ran teh same router and never really had a issue. Maby 2x a year i had to reboot it.. Changing to DDwrt made the router much more reliable and its easy to do

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in