Extending Airport Extreme network with DD-WRT - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-29, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Extending Airport Extreme network with DD-WRT

I have everything working on my Airport Extreme 5GHz network, so I don't really want to mess with it.

However, we lose the 5GHz on the other side of the house, so I wanted to use the Cisco/Linksys E3000 router to extend the 5GHz network.

I put DD-WRT on it, thinking that it'd provide me with more options, but after messing around for four hours, I keep getting nothing. I've read more how-tos and tried more different options from the DD-WRT wikis, but I keep losing access to the router as soon as I set any kind of IP to it (whether I try the dd-wrt 192.168.1.x system, or the Airport 10.0.1.x method of assigning IPs).

Is this even possible? Or should I bit the bullet and go get a new Airport Express and make my life easier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-29, 11:24 PM

An AirPort Express will definitely make your life easier. When using multiple AirPorts it creates a WDS (Wireless Distribution System) that allows the routers to act as repeaters so that as you move about the house you stay connected to the same network without having to re-acquire a new IP address as you connect to the next closest router.

Some routers and access points have this repeater functionality but not all of them. If you try to extend a wireless network with a router or access point that does not act as a repeater then as you move about the house your devices have to re-acquire an IP address from the next closest router. Something you may have to initiate manually as you move about.

If you do go out and buy an Express you might be able to sell the Linksys and recoup most of what you pay for the AirPort Express.

Some good info about this here.
http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

Notice the recommendation to stick to one manufacturer when trying to create an extended wireless network. Each manufacturer handles this slightly differently so mixing different manufacturers may not always work.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-29, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks, Gino. That's kinda the conclusion I was starting to come to; I think the Airport Express now has "n" capability, so I'd be able to keep the 5GHz going around the house.

It seems like it *should* work, though, dammit. Something to play with this weekend in the wee hours when I won't get yelled at for rebooting the Airport Extreme.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 12:25 AM

Yes, the Express is compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n and is 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz. The only thing it does not do as compared to the Extreme is have a Guest mode.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 07:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I think the Airport Express now has "n" capability, so I'd be able to keep the 5GHz going around the house.
"N" does not mean 5 GHz. It's a modulation method that's available on both 2.4 & 5 GHz. I have a couple of computers and an access point that all support 802.11n, but none of them support 5 GHz.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-11-30, 01:20 PM

I don't have an Airport, but I do use my Linksys router as a range extender and it works fine on the 5 and 2.4 spectrums.

Have you set up the linksys as a repeater bridge? Does it have the same SSID as your Airport?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-01, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah - I've tried following the instructions to set up the dd-wrt as a repeater bridge, but I don't know whether to set the IP address on the Linksys as 192.168.1.6 (as instructions dictate, but that assumes the primary rougher is 192.168.1.1), or the doing something like 10.0.1.50 (like the Airport Extreme uses).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-01, 12:48 AM

Yes, you have to use the same subnet as that on the Express. In your case 10.0.1.x. You can use the one adjacent to the Express's address if you want but make sure it is not an address in the range reserved for DHCP.

The instructions stating to use 192.168.1.6 is just an example. It would be appropriate for a subnet of 192.168.1.x which your network is not using.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I found there was a setting in the Airport Utility to "allow this network to be extended", which apparently turns on WDS capability from the "home" router.

I found some other instructions that specifically detail what I'm trying to do as well, but I just realized that I used the wrong MAC address - the Airport Utility now shows me the MAC address for both 5GHz and the regular 2.4GHz.
Something to mess around with tomorrow.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-09, 12:44 PM

I use a Linksys WRT-54G as a client bridge using DD-WRT. It works well. The "extender" router just needs to be assigned a different IP address and a different wifi name than the host router. I'm far from an IT guru and I found the instructions that DD-WRT has on their website to work.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-10, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

So you did this using a WRT54G as the "extender" and an Airport Extreme as the "primary" router?
Do you have a link to the page you used?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2011-12-10, 07:07 AM

I believe this is the instruction that was used for Client Bridge.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridge

However, my experience has been that a Repeater Bridge is much better.

Let us know how you make out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in