Wireless to Wired solution for Receiver - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 04:41 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Be careful. Most devices will not connect via WiFi that way, because they don't know how to talk to a wireless device. The two portable access points I mentioned have that function included, as do some others.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 08:03 PM
hmb
Rookie

The current model Apple Airport Express can be configured to provide a "wireless to wired" bridge function that will work on any WiFi network (not just Apple's).

As an added bonus you can connect the audio output of the same Airport Express to one of your receiver's audio inputs, thus adding Airplay functionality to your receiver.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-11-08, 10:20 AM

putting two router on the same network is not such a good idea for a novice. you have to disable DHCP on one or you will have 2 DHCP servers on the network and that is a no no. the simplest way to connect to a network if pulling wires is not possible is to use an ac power bridge. you buy the ac wiresless bridge such as the one produced by Belkin in pairs. pug one into the wall ac socket near your router, connect a cat 5 patch cord to an empty port on your router or switch. pug the other one into another ac sockey near your other network device and you have for all intense purposes just created an active network data port just as if you pulled a direct wire link to your router directly. the data packet is transmitted via the ac power lne at high frequency between the devices. the nice thing is you can add more location by installing more transcevers on the ac network. the ac sockets must not have filters on them. the network is limited on your immediate ac power loop and a password can also be used to block out intruders.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-11-08, 12:20 PM
Veteran

^^^^
There is no problem with having more than one DHCP server on a network, provided there is some means to prevent them from trying to hand out the same address. Some DHCP servers will ping an address, before issuing it. An easy way is to just configure the DHCP servers to use different portions the address block e.g. server 1 - 192.168.1.100-149 and server 2 192.168.150-199. This way there'll never be a conflict. The other info, such as default route, DNS etc. would normally be the same.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-11-08, 01:17 PM
Veteran

I actually have four routers operating in my house - one as a true router and three as WAPs/switches (I have a very large house with basement + 2 floors). All you have to do is to turn off DHCP and assign a static IP like 192.168.1.2 (assuming that your router is 192.168.1.1) to your non-routing routers. That is pretty simple to do. Many of the newer routers can also act as bridges.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Does my router being a 2Wire DSL Model/router have any concerns with double networking?

Are there any Pro/Cons to using the Powerline adapters?
Aside from being ~$100? seems like it might be the easiest thing to do

I am thinking now, having more then one port would be nice. I could plug not Just the AV Receiver but also the PlayStation in too. it might help boost downloads for the PS should I decide to stream anything.

so The DAP-1350 and WL-330gE are out.

so
Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N $49
D-Link DIR-655/RE $43
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 07:06 PM
Veteran

Powerline can be hit or miss.

The 2wire being a modem-router isn't important. If you wish to use a separate router, you can set the 2wire to bridge mode, in which is just acts as a modem (note that user name/pass would then go in your router settings, not the modem)
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Powerline can be hit or miss.
Not really; there's no guesswork involved. It works great, as long as both adapters are on the same phase. Most homes have two power phases; if you put one Powerline adapter on each, the signal essentially has to travel via the nearest power company transformer... generally to rather detrimental effect.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 08:27 PM
Veteran

I agree that it can be ht or miss. I tried it but could not sustain the 19 Mbps required for streaming HD OTA video.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 11:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Not really; there's no guesswork involved. It works great, as long as both adapters are on the same phase. Most homes have two power phases; if you put one Powerline adapter on each, the signal essentially has to travel via the nearest power company transformer... generally to rather detrimental effect.
I had that problem with x10 devices... solved it with a Phase Coupler... should also work with internet over power lines.

x10-store.com/phasecoupler.html
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-11-10, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your help.

I think I have decided on the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/pr...-cable-router/

it's a $50 access point with multiple ports.

Tags
ethernet , receiver , wireless to wired

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in