Chrome-based notebooks to go on sale next month - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-11, 05:41 PM
Veteran

Google sets sights on enterprise, education with subscription 'Chromebooks'

Launches in June on Samsung hardware...looks like they are trying to eat into the PC paradigm in a big way, and if they get the Chrome "App Store" up and running with all the critical bits, I think they can really do it.

Pros, as i see it:
  • easier on working capital for businesses
  • low cost of entry, and free hardware upgrades
  • Much lower support costs
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-11, 08:41 PM

I'm guessing that this will be an epic fail. I love computers and I work in the industry and I see no use for a product like this for the vast majority of people.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-11, 09:10 PM
Veteran

Looks like a fun computing option, but I doubt a small business or government would get involved until it's more proven.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-11, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I'm guessing that this will be an epic fail. I love computers and I work in the industry and I see no use for a product like this for the vast majority of people.
That the problem you love computers. But for a business computers are just tools that need to be upgraded, maintained and secured on top of being used you know to do real work.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-12, 02:08 PM
Rookie

The Cloud

The big problem I see right now, is how secure is the data?

We have seen so many cases where data is lost (by companies that go bankrupt) or are anadvertently "shared" or hacked. I just don't see how any business would rely on a server maintaining data off premises. If your net goes down, you're screwed. What if google decides that 2 years into it that 29 per computer isn't enough and that now it's 89.00 per seat per month?

Who do you call when the thing breaks down? who's going to connect it up to your unique server configuration and active directory service? You aren't going to get away from IT guys, they are just going to be doing different jobs.

Can't see it working. If people at my work suggest this, i'm going to bash them over the head with common sense and hope they snap out of it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-13, 05:19 AM
Veteran

Some management is very naive and short-sighted.

"Get rid of IT for $28/month / employee?? No brainer!"

"no use for a product"....remember when the head of IBM thought there would be a need for at most 3 computers in the world and Mr. Gates didn't understand the Internet Never say never!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-14, 01:27 PM

The "experts" have been praising cloud computing for ages but the recent Amazon and PSN problems shows that reality might be different.

That being said, there are positives and drawbacks for the Chrome OS notebooks.

Positives:
-Fast boot times and less demanding OS than Windows.
-Less vulnerable to viruses.
-Programs are always updated.
-Simpler to use than Windows notebooks.
-Data cannot be lost in case of hardrive failure.

Negatives:
-Requires an internet connection to work.
-Small local storage.
-Can only use Chrome as a web browser.
-Data can be unavailable or even lost if hosting server crashes.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-14, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmunnelly View Post
The big problem I see right now, is how secure is the data?

We have seen so many cases where data is lost (by companies that go bankrupt) or are anadvertently "shared" or hacked. I just don't see how any business would rely on a server maintaining data off premises. If your net goes down, you're screwed. What if google decides that 2 years into it that 29 per computer isn't enough and that now it's 89.00 per seat per month?

Who do you call when the thing breaks down? who's going to connect it up to your unique server configuration and active directory service? You aren't going to get away from IT guys, they are just going to be doing different jobs.

Can't see it working. If people at my work suggest this, i'm going to bash them over the head with common sense and hope they snap out of it.
If you're one of the many companies that already uses Google Apps for business then you already have everything set up and ready to go. You still use a corporate email address for your account, but on the user side everything looks like Gmail, Google Calendar, etc. In fact, you would just sign in with your corporate email account and everything would just work; email, calendar, docs, and any other Google provided services you use. For companies already using Google Apps, this is perfect. What Google is doing here is making their whole ecosystem that much more attractive. They don't care about selling the actual hardware, they want to sell their software.

I've been running various builds of Chromium OS on my Acer Aspire One A105 for months now, but I'm really drooling over the Samsung Chrome OS netbook. My Acer works great and the old first-gen Atom still runs Chrome OS smoothly, but it doesn't auto-update and the keyboard is awful. That Samsung just looks beautiful.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-17, 10:42 AM

It will be a very small niche for some bussiness users.Rememeber everything is clod based an requires an allways on internet connection.I'm not a big fan of cloud storage (not for personal use), and whatever anybody promises you, once you keep any of your data on the cloud you should not expect that will remain "private". But for some bussiness users may be OK.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-17, 05:40 PM

Cloud computing is the way forward, there are a few good points here and a few outdated ones.

One big misconception is that you MUST have always on internet with chrome OS this is not true
"content such as word processors and games like Angry Birds will be accessed within the browser, and can even be accessed when the device is not connected to the Internet."

As with any new technology some will embrace it others will wait. But usually its only a matter of time! How many on here used to say " I want a phone that can simply make phone calls" FFW 3-5 years likely 80% of us on digital home have a smart phone that can do pretty much everything a home PC can do with the exception of serious gaming and some specialized software?

Or even look at PC's and Bill Gates famous quote
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Times change FAST now, and computing is evolving in a smarter,more manageable and sustainable way by going to cloud computing I think.

Many home PC users use computers simply for email and social networking, and worse yet the average home use has ZERO data backup! Move to cloud computing and you have 100% data backup including your operating system and all applications.

I can easily envision a time when you won't even need to take your chromebook with you traveling, simply check into the hotel and borrow a supplied one at the hotel or at the airport lounge, log onto your account and everything is ready to go. Even airlines could easily implement these types of systems into seat backs as an "extra service" Google by going this route could easily infiltrate many more avenues for advertising.

Just a few of my views

TBD yet again :)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-18, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post
It will be a very small niche for some bussiness users.Rememeber everything is clod based an requires an allways on internet connection.I'm not a big fan of cloud storage (not for personal use), and whatever anybody promises you, once you keep any of your data on the cloud you should not expect that will remain "private". But for some bussiness users may be OK.
Again, if you're a Google Apps user your data is still stored at your domain. Your cloud in this case is your own servers, which is the same as accessing remotely on a PC.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-19, 12:46 PM

I agree that there are uses for a cloud based system outside business.Do you use your PC to read your e-mail and browse the net only ? Great, a cheap Chrome system is what you need. Heck, if it's cheap enough ($100) I will get one for the kitchen. Would I get one if it's only $50 less than a Windows one ? No. Would I use one as my main "PC" keeping all my data on the cloud ? Definitely not.
The cloud is a new option ( in fact not so new, there were may previous trying but not very succesful ones) with it's uses but I really hope I will not be around when will become the ONLY option. But for the "Facebook generation" is probably a good option.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-20, 03:29 PM

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2011-05-20, 06:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown6412 View Post
Cloud computing is the way forward
Been there, done that. I'll be turning 60 this fall. I remember timeshare computing. The whole idea behind the PC (Personal Computer) was to get away from the dumb-terminal-hooked-up-to-a-mainframe paradigm. Anyone else remember Microsoft's first attempt at pusing "DOT-NET"? It was essentially the same as "the cloud". It failed to get off the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown6412 View Post
How many on here used to say " I want a phone that can simply make phone calls" FFW 3-5 years likely 80% of us on digital home have a smart phone that can do pretty much everything a home PC can do with the exception of serious gaming and some specialized software?
Thanks for destroying your own argument. Going from a regular notebook/netbook to a chromebook is the computing equivalant of going from a smartphone to a dumbphone.

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.

Tags
chromebook

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in