Home Networking with Wired/Wireless Connections - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-04-01, 04:11 PM
Rookie

For those leaving one ip open only, do you not have friends that come over and use your wifi on their cell phones these days?

Seems the wifi pass is the first thing some guests ask me when they come over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-04-01, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Hopefully my attempted attachment of the menu portion for my router setup comes through.

Bob; My gateway IP is setup fine and I've done all the proper encryption. I do have the proper static DNS numbers which I've entered on those devices with which I want a static IP. My confusion with all of this is choosing numbers for the static IP addresses. For example, if I have 5 devices that I would like to have static addresses but would also like to keep two dynamic addresses for people to use WIFI etc..(Iphone for example)---do I not have to enable DHCP server, then allow 2 maximum users. I set an initial IP address range (192.168.1.101 for example--not the one shown above) and then my router then tells me that my DHCP range will be between 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102. Shouldn't I then assign static IP addresses on each of my devices making sure not use any of those two numbers? And if so, they can be (example 192.168.1.2...192.168.1.3...and so on)?

I am familiar with how to enter the static numbers, just not sure of the numbers to use. I used to be so good with electronic stuff...sigh.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-04-02, 10:40 AM
Veteran

You can safely assign statiic IP addresses on devices to anything below the DHCP starting address, except for the IP address of the router (.1), which means you can technically start at .2 .

I would do what Bob_Mtl does, and reserve ranges for particular devices.

Personally, at this time, I am fine with DHCP, since I am always futzing with the network and the routers which have different default IPs.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-04-02, 10:47 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor View Post
For those leaving one ip open only, do you not have friends that come over and use your wifi on their cell phones these days?

Seems the wifi pass is the first thing some guests ask me when they come over.
If you have a bunch of people over, you can quickly open up some more addresses. I find having only one covers 99% of the situations. If you regularly have the same people over, consider assigning static IP addresses for them. I have done this and it works great.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-04-02, 11:42 AM

Some of my colleagues use DD-WRT on their Linksys WRT-54GL's, saying that it's more stable than the Linksys "OS", and there is more control on WI-FI settings. However, this information is anecdotal. ( I use a D-Link DIR-655)

Security settings should always be the highest encryption possible, WPA2-PSK, with a very long passphrase, with a combination of upper and lower case letters, misspelled words and numbers. If you're experiencing WI-FI drop-outs, it's not because of the encryption. It could be interference from older cordless phones.

Do you or your neighbours use the older 2.4GHz cordless phones? That's the first suspect. If you do have cordless phones in that frequency range, go to Costco and get the newer DECT 6.0 sets, they will not interfere with WI-FI. If your neighbours use the older cordless sets, maybe you'd like to "help" them upgrade?

As for DHCP or static. There's nothing wrong with DHCP, you can also reserve IP addresses with DHCP enabled, which means that no matter how long the client PC/device is off, every time it reboots, it'll always get the same IP address.

If you still want to use static IP addresses, you'll need to set your gateway and DNS settings.

The easiest DNS setting is the router (also the gateway). The router will "route" DNS requests to your main ISP's DNS servers. But I have a suggestion that might speed things up. Use OpenDNS, it's very fast and FREE! There are two ways to set up for OpenDNS. You can either point each of your devices to the OpenDNS servers or you can still point your devices to the router and have your router point to the OpenDNS servers (primary = 208.67.222.222 secondary = 208.67.220.220)

Just try OpenDNS and you'll see how fast new pages load.

On another, related note. For people that are new to home networking, and don't want to take courses on networking to be able to set up their home network, I have a suggestion for a good "How-to" book.
Home Networking Simplified by Cisco. The link (if approved by the moderator) will bring you to Amazon.ca where you can purchase the book for about twenty bucks. It's written in plain English, and will help you get your home network running smoothly in no time.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-04-02, 02:35 PM
Veteran

^^^^
A source of strong passwords is www.grc.com. Click on Services > Perfect Passwords. That page will generate a new password every time it's loaded. I use the 63 character alpha-numberic passwords because I've found some devices choke on certain punctuation characters.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in