Scam Phone call offering to clean infections on your computer - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 05:32 PM
Zod

I got a call a few days ago. I think the person was claiming to be from microsoft tech support and that my windows had viruses (yes i know it should be virii? ).

I told him to lick my *1*@ and hung up.

I need to come up with something more creative. I usually don't pick up when the call display doesn't show a number I know of (especially when its blocked, or is something like 00000000 or 1234567890). However I was waiting for a call back from my cable company and I wasn't sure what would come up on the call display.

It was also a pretty rude call. When I first picked up the phone, all I could hear were people making jokes and laughing (in what sort of sounded like punjabi). It took about 20 seconds before the guy even tried to con me.

I should probably let my grandparents know to hang up if they get this call....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 06:05 PM
Veteran

In my experience, the only way to get rid of these people is to be rude or ludicrous. If you ask them not to call back or just hang up, they will call again.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 02:05 AM

I often wonder why we pay for Call Display. 90% of all calls we receive are Unknown Name, Unknown Number. Of course we don't respond to them for it is one way to stop phone companies being able to charge for Call Display and also charge others for not displaying their names and phone numbers.

We also get a slew of calls with a number shown but when you check Canada 411 it turns out that there is no such listing for that number with that area code, but they show the same number with various other area codes. Now how do people manage to make a call from a phone that isn't even listed nor is it a cell' phone number ?

Maybe you should have asked him if he had anything to rid your phone of a virus.

post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-10-29, 03:31 PM

I told them I had an abacus !
They hung up on me.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-10-29, 04:47 PM
Rookie

I had the call again last night, the guys name was "mack', when I said how ironic he is called Mack and telling me about a virus on my Windows machine, he hung up.....lol
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-10-29, 04:48 PM
Veteran

They called my father's place 8 times in a two hour window last night. Very annoying.
post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-10-30, 07:16 PM
Veteran

Helped someone with their computer yesterday (clean up junk/performance/upgrade RAM/etc)
Needless to say, it was in perfect order when I left.
I got a call that same night that they had received a call from these people and they were fixing things before the imminent hard drive crash ("If you don't get it fixed now, everything will be gone by tomorrow!")

I informed them it was a scam and told them to hard power off the computer before they could do any (more) damage. Went back this morning to find a couple BS security programs and a big "uninstall programs" shortcut (which points to their same software).

It's a little ironic how they were 'grilling' this lady for having an unofficial MS Office install, when they're scamming people left and right.
(she had a legit copy regardless.. the 'unoffical' one was the 60 day 2003 trial, she had a full install of 2007 activated on the same machine)

How have these people not been caught yet?
Surely the police can trace them.
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-10-30, 07:45 PM

I received a call last night and this guy who could hardly speak english was trying to tell me I had viruses and he would fix them.

I know it's a scam and I played it up and really played dumb and just kept this guy talking and talking until I got bored and then flipped the conversation around that I was a police officer in the internet fraud squad and he has made a big mistake with this call and that forces had been dispatched to take them down witin 10 minutes.
He did seem honestly nervous but I really enjoyed screwing with him.
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-10-31, 08:16 PM

Phone calls from India asking about our Microsoft computer problem

We have gotten 2 or 3 calls the past couple of weeks from people with Indian accents asking about our computer Microsoft computer problem. The caller ID says all 00000's. We are on the DNCL, and I have no idea which company the calls are originating from.

Has anyone else been receiving these calls?

Thanks
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-10-31, 08:27 PM
Veteran

Could it be related to this scam?

http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=138334

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #41 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-10-31, 08:28 PM

Just nasty telemarketing

Such calls appear to be the current rage. Typically they will try to get you to access a website which will show your computer to be infected - and they have a $$$ plan that will fix the problem. It's a scam.
post #42 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-12-29, 05:35 PM
Veteran

I just received one of those phone calls, but there was no caller ID available. I let him get into his bit about how they realized I had a problem with my computer and it was running slow and followed his directions. It got fun when I was asked if I saw the little flag at the lower left corner and I said no. He asked if my computer was turned on and saw icons etc. He then asked again about the flag and I again told him I didn't see it. He started getting all mixed up. I then blasted him saying that he obviously was a fraud, otherwise he would have seen my computer was running Linux, not Windows and tossed in a few more choice words and told him never to tall again. He tried to talk some more, but eventually hung up after again calling him a fraud and about how what he was saying was garbage.

Gee that was fun!!!
post #43 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-12-29, 06:32 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I got the calls twice in the past month and the fellow asked me to go to my computer, which is a Mac and started talking about Windows. I also wasted a bit of his time (perhaps a minute) eventually telling him I had a Mac. I don't even bother asking them to remove my number from their call list because I know they never do. I also now rarely answer the phone unless I get the distinctive ring of someone in my directory.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #44 of 74 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 02:21 PM

I got a call a couple months ago the guy claimed to be a rep from Microsoft, and told me my computer was infected blah blah blah, when i could finally get a word in i told him, it must be a mistake cause i run Linux, he hung up.I actually run windows.LOL!!!
post #45 of 74 (permalink) Old 2012-01-05, 03:44 AM

Some schmuck called home recently telling me my Windows 7 security software needed to be renewed! I laughed a lot and told him my Linux desktop will be fine thank you very much. loll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in