Wired LAN loses Internet connection. - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-14, 09:13 PM

It does seem fishy but it was his wired PC dropping out not his wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-14, 10:57 PM
Veteran

^^
But his modem isn't directly connected to his PC. The router is in between the computers and modem.

If it is the modem, I'd appreciate if someone could explain how that would happen, so we know what to look out for. In the same setup at my home, we have a problem sometimes where one computer has slower internet than the others (pages take forever to load). I always assume that would be a problem with the computer itself.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-14, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

I do not get it either, but computers are funny that way.

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 12:25 AM
Veteran

I had a similar problem recently and it appeared to be that the NIC on my mobo (an Asus P7H67) had gone bad as it would dop the connection and then I got to a point where it would only connect with a 10 Mbps connection. I put in a PCIe ethernet card and now all is working well.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

My speed has always been 100.0 Mbps on the network.
Though the network is rarely used for file transfers. I would need to do some testing to see if things are working as they should.

post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 09:28 AM
Veteran

Shouldn't it be 1Gbps, assuming that your router, switches, etc support Gigabit?
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 11:31 AM
Veteran

We have a very similar problem with only one of our computers (we have 5 in the house). That computer is wired and once in a while, it will suddenly report that the connection is down. A reboot fixes the issue. And it's only on that computer. But here's the kick... I recently replaced that computer with a new one and restored the image backup of the older machine. The same problem still persists with the new hardware so it's definitely a Windows problem.

I'm on Telus too with a D-Link modem. I'll call them to see if I can get it replaced. There's already a known problem with it in regards to UPnP.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 11:36 AM
Veteran

Are you plugging it into the same port on your router? It could be a flaky port. I would also try changing the ethernet cable and upgrading (or downgrading) the driver for your NIC.

I have been able to temporarily fix similar problems by unplugging and replugging the network cable, a reboot isn't always requried.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 11:39 AM
Veteran

I have tried everything. Changing port, changing cable, using a hub, plugging it on the cable of other working machines, etc. This has been going on for weeks. I have physically moved the computer to another area of the house (i.e. different wiring involved) and it still happens.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 11:58 AM
Veteran

Have you tried buying a NIC card - either PCI or PCIe. You should be able to get one for less than $20.
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 12:05 PM
Veteran

I changed the whole computer and it made no difference. Read my original post. Anyhow, we're repeating what has already been discussed for several pages now. I'm not the only one with this annoyance. I'm getting the Telus router replaced which has known issues.
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Shouldn't it be 1Gbps, assuming that your router, switches, etc support Gigabit?
Its a older router. Only 10 and 100 mbps. Its not even an N router. I plan to upgrade one day but since the modem replacement fixed the issue I will wait a while as the router works just fine.

MarcP
I am very confident that the D-link modem is the culprit. When you get your replacement let us know if your issue is fixed. Telus told me 5-10 business days to ship. I had it in 3.

post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 01:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
I changed the whole computer and it made no difference. Read my original post. Anyhow, we're repeating what has already been discussed for several pages now. I'm not the only one with this annoyance. I'm getting the Telus router replaced which has known issues.
I did read your post above and noted that you restored your Windows disk image. Therefore you may rentroduced a software problem as well if it is something like a bad driver. A new NIC with a different chipset and driver may work better.

Hopefully it is your modem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in