Building a new Computer - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Building a new Computer

I am going to be building a new computer in the next few months here is what I am looking at so far:

Asus Sabertooth P67-B3 motherboard
i5-2500K Intel CPU
Corsair TS750W PSU
Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
NZXT Guardian 921 RB Case
Nvidia GTX460 Video Card
Windows 7 64Bit Professional
Let me know what you think and please offer suggestions to anything else I will need
Thanks
Gumby64
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 01:31 PM
Veteran

Not sure what you are going to do with 16BG of memory. 4 or perhaps 8 is more than enough.

You need a DVD and/or BluRay player. Maybe get an aftermarket CPU cooler too. Oh, and how about a hard drive? WD 2TB perhaps or 2-3 1TB.

Not sure why you need 750W power supply - a bit overkill unless you plan to add another video card and use crossfire or a whack of disks.

650w should do fine.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 01:37 PM

I think the first question is, what do you plan on using the system for? Gaming/Video editing/Internet & email?

Agree with Larry that you are missing some components.

.: Panasonic TH-46PZ800 + DMP-BD35 : Rogers 8642 : Nintendo Wii : Xbox 360 : Harmony One :.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I am getting the 16 GB of Ram as I want to have a fast system.
I also am thinking of a Solid State Drive to run the OS and some hard drives to keep music, video, and files on. I would like to set up Raid5 which I am reading about now.
I will also be getting a Blu-Ray Burner.
I am getting the bigger power supply just in case I use SLI later on, I am going to overclock as well.
As far as the CPU cooler goes, yes just trying to figure out which way I will go, thinking of the H70 right now.
Thanks,
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 03:05 PM
Veteran

More RAM does not necessarily equate to a faster system. I run a i5 with 4 Gig, and rarely (if ever) come close using it all. Just saying you can save a bundle and if you really need to, you can add more memory later.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Good Point, on 32 bit systems 4GB is all it can handle, but with 64 bit the system I am putting together can handle 32GB.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 04:11 PM
Veteran

I am also running 64bit.. its not what the system can handle, it is about what it needs. System performance degrades if there is a lot of paging going on. If there is no paging, adding more memory does nothing. But, hey, if you want to spend another $100 or more on memory, go for it.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Sounds good, I will go with 8GB, does anyone here use liquid cooling as I have been reading about this and just seen that Corsair just released H60.
Have read a few that says the H70 is very loud and was wondering if maybe there was something good.
This system will be used a little for gaming, mostly movies and music.
I know it seems a little overboard for some things, but I want something that can be upgraded easily in a few years.
Thanks Larry
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 05:42 PM

The i5 comes with a cooling fan so you may not need additional cooling unless there is intensive constant cpu usage. Why not build it with the standard fan and then upgrade later if needed.

If you really need intensive processor then spend the extra $100 that you saved on memory and get an i7. It will help future proof. Chances are if you want to upgrade in a few years a new cpu willl require a different mb and memory.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I chose the i5-2500K as opposed to the i7-2600K as what I have read there isn't much difference, especially if I am not gaming.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 06:57 PM
Veteran

I agree with most of what Larry said. 8GB is more than enough RAM. Get a 120GB SSD drive for the O/S. Than add a 2TB drive for storage. 2TB is the sweet spot for value right now. I would avoid NZXT cases. They talk a good case but some of their designs are seriously flawed and build quality is below average as well. Their after sales support is also MIA. There are lots of good case makers out there. Antec, Lian-Li, Silverstone and Thermaltake all make a wide range of good products.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 07:25 PM

Few things since your asking

- RAM: 4GB is fine, 8GB is lots.

More ram makes the system slower, more banks of ram, more addressing to read/write, more time to do that.

- HD: Get an SSD for OS/Game, and a 7200RPM for data.

SSD best for performance, it would take alot of parallel drives to come close. Cost/power/noise would not be worth the return. You would have to be running a serious server to see the benefits I would think. Home user using apps SSD is perfect.

- Case: If overclocking, good air flow. Lots of choices really.

- CPU cooling: OC'ing = need for aftermarket.

Good air cooler is $40-$70ish, google can give you lots of test results.

Water, did that 2 computers ago. Silent and effective, hands down. That being said it's a little more parts/know how/maintenance (not a lot though, but still). If you want to do it, I would say go for it, kinda fun to tinker and works like a hot damn. If you want to put a case in a spot and forget it, go with high end air.

Side note with water, if you go that route, get a case that matches that well. Something like a Corsair Obsidian Series 650D, as an example for a case that I believe can have a rad mounted and has good fans (and a controller built in).

- Video: It's just me (a gamer) but a system this nice, you might find a better card for not a lot more, just a thought

I will PM you a site to check out as well, it should be a great resource considering all these questions you have asked

62MX195, Shaw 6412 HD-PVR, Sony S350, VSX-1018AH-K, LC-42D62U (Computer monitor)
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 07:37 PM

I recommend liquid cooling

I have an H50 liquid cooling for 18 months and am very happy with it. At idle the 4 cores (Q6600) are about 32C and while crunching SETI workunits (100% CPU) the temps go up to 48-52.
I have no issues with noise with the H50...I did have to reverse the front case fan to move air out the front as Corsair recommends the fan/rad at the back of the case take outside air to cool the rad.

If you are overclocking, liquid cooling is the way to go.

Also, the last upgrade I did was a solid state drive for the OS, Win7 64 bit boots to the desktop in 1 minute, great performance improvement.

Good luck with the new build...

Sony 46XBR3, STR-DE898, PS3 60GB, JBL fronts, Bose rears, Polk sub/center, HK-DVD22, BellTVHD, Harmony1

Last edited by BadLag; 2011-03-03 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 08:37 PM
Veteran

I considered SSD on my latest build, but the reality is that I rarely. boot - just awake from sleep which takes 15 seconds or less. I figure down the road when SSD are larger faster and cheaper I'll take another look.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 10:39 PM
Veteran

SSDs help in far more than just boot times.
Not sure why that's the only thing people focus on.

For one, you can multitask without delay.

Try copying files from one area of a hard drive to the other and still try to load programs.
On an SSD there is no delay due to seek time.

There's a whole host of reasons to get an SSD, and boot time shouldn't be one of them, IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in