A good wireless router with good interface controls? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-01-29, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

A good wireless router with good interface controls?

I currently use a TEW-432BRP and to say the least it is not very good router. I wish to upgrade to a wireless router with some wired ports as well, that has a good interface that will allow me to have good control over access to internet for all the computers on the network. Something where I can set a timetable of when a certain computer can have access to internet etc.

This router I have now has a simple control for this, but it is either always allow or always deny access, where I would like to allow access over a certain time range.

Tried reading through various reviews of routers, but apart from the confusing talk of speeds and other things, there was no mention of the controls they offered.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-01-29, 03:20 PM
Veteran

I'd look for something that can run Tomato or DD-WRT
They're custom firmwares that give you control over pretty much everything your router can do.

For example, my 'ancient' WRT54G can't do much with the stock firmware, but by adding tomato, it could do a whole bunch of things, including bond two dsl lines together, monitor and keep track of my bandwidth usage, and much more previously unavailable (including advanced port forwarding, and I believe time scheduling - as you're looking for)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-01-29, 03:33 PM

My computer - guru friend just set up a D-link DIR-615 for me. I'm just learning about the settings but it seems capable of doing all of that. Reception seems OK for my difficult house... so far.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-01-29, 05:30 PM

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
......If you please?

May I piggy-back on this thread?.....

I, too, am looking for the same.

Does any of this software run on a Mac? [ Tomato or DD-WRT ]

Thanks,

John
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-01-29, 06:10 PM

The "software" is router firmware. You're replacing the stock Dlink/Cisco/Netgear firmware with an open source community built package like DD-WRT or Tomato. All firmware features are accessed through a browser meaning any PC (Windows/Mac/Linux) can access the firmware settings.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-01-29, 07:08 PM
Veteran

A Linksys WRT610 with DD-WRT installed will do what you want. (These are being rebranded to Linksys E3000.) That's pretty much top of the line with a price to match, though there are some deals if you look for one.

The Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT is a more affordable solution. I've seen the WRT54GL on sale recently as well.

Both are good routers. The 610 does dual band wireless N and is a bit faster than the 54GL, which is wireless G. If you have a fast internet connection, the 610 would be best. The 54GL should be OK with slower speeds and fewer connections.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-01-30, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the replies, will look into snagging one of those WRT54GL's asap.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 11:30 AM

WRT54's are wireless 'g'. That's kind of archaic at this point. Most new laptops and many other appliances are wireless 'n'. Why would you limit yourself in that fashion?

WRT610Nv2 (if you can still find one) is a great bet because it can be converted to an E3000 if you're inclinced. Also look at the WRT310N if you can find one.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Didn't realize about the wireless "n" thing...have since been looking at the DIR-615 which is supported by DD-WRT. Price is right also! Thanks for the heads up JC
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 09:01 PM

Unmodded...

Of course there's the Dlink Dir-655 as well which will do all that and run your wireless on a schedule and has a built in web filter as well. 300 mbps Wireless N too. The only place it falls down slightly is its total throughput but for most home use it shouldn't be a problem. There is a firmware emulator here: http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dir655/

Also note the Securespot product is no longer available.

You should be able to find them on sale over the next month or two as the new generation of routers is due to be released soon.

Last edited by Tedfroop; 2011-02-01 at 09:10 PM. Reason: add link
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-02-02, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I picked up the DIR-615 and installed the DD-WRT firmware on it. Although, probably didn't need the firmware upgrade, for the factory firmware looked like it would have done the trick, but oh well, its pimped out now More functions and features with that firmware that I will ever understand

Wife says she notices how much quicker her pages seem to be loading now, so I guess thats a good thing And hopefully the access setting will keep the kids from being online too late in the night on school nights.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-02-04, 03:39 PM
Rookie

the newest netgear routers advertise DD-WRT on the box. I have the single band wireless (N) with 5 gigabit ports, and I am quite happy with it. I can't remember the model from memory, but it was under $100. Futureshop and Best Buy both carry it, I got mine at BB.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2011-02-07, 07:53 AM

I'm running a Netgear WNDR-3700 with dd-wrt on it and I'm amazed at the tools and settings unlocked on it now. It will take a month of tinkering to get it where I want it to be.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 - Yamaha YSP 2200 - Sony PS3 Slim 250gb - Nintendo Wii - WD TV Live

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in