Worth getting computer with Intel 2nd Gen Core Processors - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-01-29, 08:30 PM

I've had my Sandy build up for almost 2 weeks.

Running an Asus P8P67 Deluxe with the i7-2600k @ 4GHz. Still working on going higher on the OC, but not really sure I need to as anything I throw at it gets chewed up in a heart beat. I love gaming on this new machine (Radeon 6950 helps!), it's been a while since I've been interested in PC gaming, but this new build definitely has got me into it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 04:42 PM
Veteran

Intel Identifies Chipset Design Error, Implementing Solution

Looks like you might want to hold off. There is a design flaw with the SATA controller on the P67 chipset. Intel to write off $300 million for recall. Apparently the problems are only with Sandy Bridge Core i5 and Core i7 cpus shipped since Jan 9th.

Intel Identifies Chipset Design Error, Implementing Solution
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Thanks, I read that earlier in the day. Laptop is now being used in place of the old desktop so I will probably wait another month until the new chipsets are available.

Definitely going Sandy Bridge though.

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 05:06 PM
GDX

This chipset problem is very unusual: while logic errors are common and can usually be fixed through firmware updates, this is a problem with the physical process they used to build the chipset.

Anandtech has some additional background on the problem: see http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/i...-begins-recall

Two key points:
  • Intel expects that over three years approximately 5-15% of the mobos will experience the problem
  • The SATA 6Gbps ports are not affected
I'm not sure about other mobo manufacturers, but at for at least some of the ASUS P8P67 lineup they also include a Marvell SATA controller that would presumably be unaffected by the problem.

It will be interesting to see how the recall is managed. While Intel does sell their own mobo lineup, I would imagine that most sold to date are from ASUS, Gigabyte, etc--and they're the ones that would in theory do the recall.

While the recall will cost Intel some serious $, I imagine an equivalent issue is that they will have to stop chipset shipments until the problem is solved. That means in theory it will be impossible to build a Sandy Bridge system for another month or so.

In the short term I think I'll just switch to the 6Gpbs ports for my SSD and hard drive, and I may move the Blu-ray burner to one of the Marvell SATA ports.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 06:02 PM
Veteran

Imagine that Steve Jobs were the CEO of Intel.

"Just use the 6Gbps ports. Not a big deal."

post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 12:18 AM

And to think I just got my Asus P8P67 Deluxe and 2600K up and running.

Question, the SATA6 connections, Intel or Marvell are designed primarily for data drives so what is the impact of using them for an optical drive - Blu-ray or DVD?
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 01:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Question, the SATA6 connections, Intel or Marvell are designed primarily for data drives so what is the impact of using them for an optical drive - Blu-ray or DVD?
That's fine. The SATA controller doesn't care if its connected to a SSD, optical drive, or spinning rust.
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 07:32 AM

I just swapped my HDD and optical drive from the 3G SATA connectors to 6G connectors. However I have read that we can probably leave any optical device on the 3G connectors for now.

But now I am trying to decide if I really want to dismantle my system and RMA the motherboard, or just keep it and continue using the 6G SATA ports.

I doubt I will ever need more than just the two SATA ports and I still have the two Marvel 6G SATA connectors on my ASUS P8P67 Pro.
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Anandtech article was interesting. Makes me think that I should just wait for the Z68 Chipset

post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 12:26 PM

So I have a couple options, leave my optical drive on the 3G port until it fails and then move it over to one of the Marvell 6G ports. Only issue there is the reported slow transfer times however I don't use the optical disk all that much... or just RMA the board down the road at a convenient time.

Hugh, you mention waiting for the Z68 Chipset. Will that only be available with the 2011 pinout? Those CPUs are likely going to be quite a bit more expensive although the performance gains will likely make it worthwhile if you haven't started down the upgrade path in a couple years.
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

hdtvi, I`m no expert on that topic. I just know the z68 is preferable for me because it allows me to use a discrete graphics card and get the benefits of quicksync.

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 06:01 PM
GDX

hdtvi, the Z68 chipset will be for socket 1155, so it will be compatible with the Sandy Bridge CPUs that are currently on the market (or at least were on the market--it seems most have been pulled pending the chipset fix).

Socket 2011 will replace the current socket 1366, so that means high end CPUs. I believe the chipset for socket 2011 will be the X68.

Intel really should have released the H67, P67 and Z68 chipsets at the same time so that they could have covered the entry level, mainstream, and enthusiast portions of the market from the outset. However, considering the problems with H67 and P67 maybe the Z68 delay turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 11:38 PM

Dissappointed by this considering it's been 3 years since my last PC, but luckily I was already using the Sata 3 ports for my HDDs and the Sata 2 ports for my opticals.

Thing is I just ordered an SSD, so I'll have to shift one of the HDDs to the Marvell controller on my P8P67 Deluxe. Guess we'll have to see what Asus' response is to this whole Intel issue.

Maybe we'll be able to swap out the board for their Z68 product line when it comes out for a nominal fee, to which I would switch to.

BTW, Hugh, just wondering why you mentioned discrete graphics on the Z68, there's nothing stopping you from using discrete graphics on the P67 series boards.
post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 11:57 PM

Hugh, as Eluder mentioned, discrete graphics are available (required) with P67 (only H67 makes use of the GPU built into SB CPUs) but I am curious about your other reason - quicksync. What is it?

After a little research it seems the Z68 chipset will be of interest to the enthusiast overclockers among us.
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-02-02, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quicksync is Intel's hardware transcoding technology and its a huge reason for wanting SandyBridge. It's not available when you have a discrete GPU with the current chipsets.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in