D-Link DNS-320 and DNS-325 NAS devices - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-01-05, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

D-Link DNS-320 and DNS-325 NAS devices

D-Link today announced the ShareCenter DNS-320 and DNS-325 Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices which will update and replace its popular DNS-323 and DNS-321 storage devices.

Both of the new units feature two drive bays, Gigabit Ethernet, Raid 1 support, a single USB port for connecting a UPS, external storage device or printer, an on-board DLNA media server for media sharing and a simplified interface.

The entry level DNS-320 features an 800 MHz processor while the higher end DNS-325 sports a 1.2GHz processor, photo gallery, Squeezebox support and the company`s miiiCasa technology which the company says makes it easier for home owners to back up and share their media on their home network.

The ShareCenter DNS-320 and DNS-325 will be available in March 2011 for $110 U.S. and $200 U.S. respectively. The company will also sell the ShareCenter DNS-320-1TB and DNS-325-1TB which come pre-installed with a 1TB drive for $200 and $260 respectively.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-01-20, 11:43 PM

Its about time...

I have a couple DNS-323's and they have been great devices. They are however just a little underpowered which keeps the transfer rates from being what it could be.

Both of these new devices look like a step up. The 320 has an 800 mhz processer (323 has a 500 mhz proc) and the 325 has a 1.2 ghz proc. That should bring the transfer speeds up from the previous generation.

I will be looking for reviews to see how the DLNA server performs and whether it can do on the fly transcoding. That could be the deal breaker for me. I am currently streaming video to an Asus O!Play and audio to a couple Squeezebox's from files hosted on the 323's. Should the DLNA work out though I could drop the O!Play box (not that I don't like it but it would be redundant).
There is mention that the 325 will run SqueezeBox Server software as well but it has yet to be seen if the 325 will handle streaming to both Squeezebox's at the same time or be able to handle a DLNA and SBS streaming at the same time.

For anyone who does not have any such external network connected storage it is well worth it to look into it. Backing up your pc and keeping a copy of your digital pictures, movies, music and or disk images for restoring your pc should it crash or die is well worth it in my opinion.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 12:08 AM

Got one...

Its what I expected it to be too.
Writes at up to 30 Mbps, reads at 45 Mbps with two 1.5 TB Seagate Barracudas in Raid 1. Runs at 35 degrees C with the drives working. (not just idling.)

The firmware (now running 1.02) has a new layout. It looks like a GUI with icons for each group of options which are grouped into three categories, Favorites, Applications, and Management. Some people don't care for the look of it but I don't mind it at all.

Applications:
-Download files directly to the NAS.
-Backups can be scheduled both local and remote. A single license for Total Recovery Pro for Windows is included with the software.
-P2P - Torrent downloading and seeding.
-Web file server.
-Amazon S3 backup.

Management:
-Setup Wizard
-Disk Management
-Account Management
-Network Management
-Application Management
-System Management
-Status
Any of these can be moved to the favorites page for quick access.

Along with all this there are "add ons" like a blog server, Squeeze Center, Audio Streamer, AjaXplorer, Photo Center, aMule, and language packs. I am running Squeeze Center and have no issues with it but it is an older version, 7.5.3 to be exact. Installation involved installing the add on, then following a link provided to the tar file and downloading it to Volume 1 of the NAS then restarting the Add On installation.

Other features include FTP Server, NFS Service, AFP Service, Time Machine compatibility, iTunes Server, UPNP/DLNA Server (no transcoding - yet), ISO mounter, and Power settings including a Power Off setting settable by day and time.

Now the bad:
Documentation is thin at best, especially for add ons. Most of the setup tasks are simple enough to figure out but the total lack of documentation for the add-ons is pretty sad. A little Googling and you can figure most of them out but there should be documentation available with the Add On or a least a link to some documentation.
Forget moving drives from your old 323 to this unit. Format is one reason, and the OS is the other. The OS is written from the firmware to a hidden folder on the drive during formating and it appears there are some problems around doing that on existing drives at this point. There are indications you can in theory break your 323 array, move a drive, copy data from the 323 to the 325 then recreate the array. I never cared for theory though...

Conclusion:
The good far outweighs the bad for me.
Shutting down a PC and running Squeeze Center on a 23 Watt device will save a few bucks on electricity.
File transfers are now reasonably fast and I can stream dvd quality video to my O!play and Flac to both Squeezeboxes all at the same time.
The many options available and the lowish price ($180 at Memory Express) and the ability to up the drive size to 3TB per drive once drive prices come back to reasonable will add to the usefulness. As will Dlink if past performance indicates. The usefulness of the 323 was expanded through its lifespan and I expect the 325 to get the same attention.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-16, 12:43 AM
Veteran

I've had my DNS-323 for a few years now and I'm really happy with it. It's been at the center of our backups and serving our HTPC. I will definitely look at D-link's new offerings should my unit ever fails. It's just there, working and I don't have to worry about it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2012-01-28, 06:02 PM

Is it possible to record directly to the nas from wmc?

I currently ave a 2tb drive that is almost full, so would require 4tb in raid just for current. Is it possible they will come out with a four bay version?

Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2012-01-30, 09:50 AM
Veteran

D-Link already has a 4bay version of their NAS.
http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=667

Tags
d-link , nas , storage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in