CAT6 compatibility and install tips - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 07:44 PM
Veteran

there is a version of cat6 without the plastic spacer inside, you may want to consider this, as its a little more flexible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2010-11-06, 03:02 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
CAT6 gives you no benefit over CAT5 at 100 Mb/s and even only over longer distances at 1 Gb/s. You can mix 'n match CAT5 patch cables with CAT6. The keystone jacks I've installed came with a small tool.
What distance makes it advantageous?

I am retrofitting my new-to-me house in CAT6 this week, and my longest run is about 250' via an underground conduit to a future woodshop and nearby AirPlay audio drop to a firepit with outdoor speakers.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 04:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
Here is my tip: when running your CAT6 cable run a minimum of two network drops to each location. The additional cost (in cable) is negligible compared to the cost of the whole project if you count your time. Before I moved into my current place I ran a whole lot of network cable, and one of the best decisions was doubling up so every room had at least two network jacks (using keystone plates with multiple jacks).

There are a number of uses you may end up having for the additional cables, for example the HDBaseT standard may go somewhere, and it would need it's own dedicated ethernet cable.
How are you making use of the 2 jacks per room?

I did 2 drops per as well, but find that for the rooms that need more than 1, they also need more than 2, so a switch is needed regardless. I had ideas about sending the signal to one room with a master switch or something, then back down and out. But in the end I preferred just having everything in the utility closet.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2010-11-12, 06:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
How are you making use of the 2 jacks per room?

I did 2 drops per as well, but find that for the rooms that need more than 1, they also need more than 2, so a switch is needed regardless. I had ideas about sending the signal to one room with a master switch or something, then back down and out. But in the end I preferred just having everything in the utility closet.
It depends on the room.

At my main workstation I have two computers and I'm using a Ethernet jack for each computer. At my girlfriend's computer, one drop is for her PC, the other drop is used for a Linksys VoIP ATA. In the master bedroom one drop is for a XBOX 360 (as a Media Center Extender / Netflix box) and the other is for a Sonos Zoneplayer. In my home theater setup in the basement I went with 4 Ethernet jacks since I knew that would be a special case where I would need a lot of network drops, and I'm using all 4 of them (TV, XBOX 360, Sonos ZP, HTPC).

In the rest of the rooms I'm only using one of the two network jacks, and in the guest bedroom neither network jack is being used. The cost difference in cable for the extra drops was nothing because I was buying a 1000ft roll of cat6 anyway.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2010-11-28, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

I have found two rolls of CAT6. One is 23 ga and the other 24ga. They are practically the same price. Any reason to take the larger 23 ga over the 24 ga? I need to see if the keystones have a recommended wire gauge. Or can all CAT6 keystones accommodate both gauges?
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Well I ended up getting a 1000' roll of Bytecc CAT6 (C6E-1000) from Newegg. Total taxes delivery etc was $119.31. Sort of related. I heard on the radio that copper is expected to double in price in the next few years (despite being at an all-time high).

Next up a bucket of keystone jacks and wall plates.

Oh and yeah I will be doubling up the runs for good measure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in