How to set up a router for time-restricted access? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How to set up a router for time-restricted access?

A friend wants to lock up his home network so that only he and his wife can use it all the time. He would like to allow the kids access only for a few hours a day.

I told him the way to accomplish the hardware side would be to encrypt the current router's wireless, and to add another wireless router and let the kids use that network. However, I have no idea how to set a router up for time of use restrictions. Is this possible? Physically unplugging the router is not an option.

LMK your thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 10:50 PM
Veteran

Mine seems to allow it. Can be done with one router.
Sounds like it'd be dependent on the router's firmware.
First, I can set it to block range of IP's from using a service, say http, that would probably be good enough to kill the kids 'eh?
But you could add others like ftp, etc. if ya really needed to,

Then I can set that Block to a schedule, like never, everyday, or choose specific days of the week.
Then ya set a start hour/min, end hour/min to block.
You'd just wanna be clever in your choice of IP's to block, making sure your own PC
gets the same IP address everytime it gets an IP from the router, outside the range
of what your blocking.

Mine's a Netgear WGR614 V7. An otherwise pretty crappy router mind you.
Find myself restarting it more often than I'd like.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 01:12 AM
Veteran

There are basically two ways to do this on a single router. Access can be restricted using MAC addresses or IP addresses. This information is usually available in the router software and on the PC using network status software. I would restrict using MAC addresses by allowing only the PCs that are to be given full access but restricting all others. MAC addresses can be spoofed but not as easily as IP addresses. If it is not possible to use MAC address restrictions, the same thing can be done by assigning static DHCP IP addresses and filtering based on those. It will also be necessary to change the default router password. Note that any teenager with moderate technical skills will find a way around these sooner or later. It will keep most younger children off the internet. If the above methods don't work, it might be possible to provide better enforcement by using two routers that have separate security keys. That will be harder to break. In some cases, it may be necessary to provide physical restrictions by keeping the routers and modem in a locked closet.

Quote:
I told him the way to accomplish the hardware side would be to encrypt the current router's wireless
Using strong encryption is a given, if only to keep the neighbour's kids off your network.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 01:15 AM
Veteran

You can try Norton Online Family. It's free and you can put curfew restrictions with a master password to override. That what I've been using for a year or two. You can set it so each child has their own individual time limit or site restrictions.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 07:37 AM
Veteran

Configuring my router to block access to particular MACs at particular times is easy (well, not that easy, as I'd have to get a new router -- the one I have is not this configurable). What's difficult is finding out which of my neighbors is "belkin54" and politely asking him to put at least a password on his router.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 08:01 AM
Member #1

In the administration pages of my D-Link router there are options for access control which work in tandem with schedules.

I use the schedule to turn off wireless between midnight and 6am every night.

On all of the family computers, I have separate log ons for everyone. Once everyone has separate ids, you can implement parental controls which can limit and log activity. I would recommend using the existing Windows features rather than adding extra software which adds an extra layer of complexity.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks, hugh. I also use a D Link, so I will check out my router's options and report back to my friend.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 01:11 PM
Member #1

Personally, I think the way to go is separate log ons in Windows but to each his own.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 01:21 PM

Perhaps the friend of the OP wants to shut down the ports during certain hours on non-windows devices such as an XBOX 360 or PS3.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 01:33 PM
Member #1

That`s true. Guess I`m too PC centric.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 01:02 AM

Smile -- comment

lots of ways to do all of this...

some are simple and some are hard...

Replacement firmware such as DDWRT provide the best options for over all restriction of access over power related issues.

honestly in my opinion, here is your best security lock... yes kill the power.. use a simple 8$ timer from the hardware store.

kids are pretty smart, and even smarter when it comes to computers sometimes.

so don't think they can not find a way to wiggle around the situation...

i can see some issues with gateways ect but chances are you might already have another old router around.. put the kids on that one, and put a simple timer on it...

honestly using a physical electrical timer is a good idea... you can't hack something if its got no physical power connection.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 01:06 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraykj View Post
honestly using a physical electrical timer is a good idea... you can't hack something if its got no physical power connection.
Unplug from timer, remove timer, plug into outlet.

Bypassed in 10 seconds.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 01:10 AM

-- comment

installable software in some instances provides little in the way of preventing access to a computer.

most any computer can be booted by a CD or DVD or Memory Stick with any free downloadable version of Linux and it will bypass any software on the system. it will also open up a locked windows system regardless of passwords.

so norton and all that other 'crap' thats supposed to do something, kinda goes out the window.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
Unplug from timer, remove timer, plug into outlet.

Bypassed in 10 seconds.
would require physical access to gateway.

gateway can be put into locked box to prevent tampering. simple plastic toolboxes do the job well.. you do not need to rewire the house to stick a router behind a locked door..

many ways to achieve the objective.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 08:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraykj View Post
would require physical access to gateway.
Which would cut off the internet access to everyone in the house. The OP asked to just restrict the hours to some.

Quote:
most any computer can be booted by a CD or DVD or Memory Stick with any free downloadable version of Linux and it will bypass any software on the system.
Change the boot order to disallow CD/USB booting and password protect the CMOS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in