Apple Now World's Largest Tech Company - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 11:48 AM
Veteran

I'm still kicking myself in the rear end for not having bought stock 10 years ago. Your 10 thousand would now be worth 100 thousand.

People who bought M$ at the time have actually lost money over the past 10 years.

As an Apple disciple, and a person who stuck with the platform since the Mac was introduced through thick and thin, this story has a nice, poetic justice tone to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 04:01 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerChip
this story has a nice, poetic justice tone
Justice in another way too: add the de-fanging Microsoft has received over the last few years courtesy of the legal justice and regulatory systems worldwide and we are seeing that it is now a bit more possible for other tech companies like Apple to compete.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 05:19 PM

I don't see Apple's resurgence having anything to do with MSFT's legal woes.

The iPod saved Apple.

They have, to their credit, been able to leverage that into multiple generations, the iPhone, etc. and I would argue that their laptop and desktop sales have been pulled along in the draft. I'm too lazy to look up the actual numbers but I'm pretty sure this is true.

Now that they are all hip and cool, people want to have an Apple product and own Apple stock, hence the price premium.

Android rocks!

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 06:18 PM

I actually was thinking of Thomas Edison today, comparing him to Jobs.

I also thought a great comparison would be comparing Henry Ford to Bill Gates. Ford brought the car to the masses while Gates made it possible for everyone to have a personal computer with first DOS then Windows.

Living in a time to see two big industry tycoons is certainly a treat.

----------

Not that it really matters but the revenue/ net income numbers for AAPL posted in this thread are incorrect.

Best DYI TV antenna plans - I use the Bi-Quad Indoor TV Antenna
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
Thomas Edison?

Their personalities weren't that much different either. Except maybe that Jobs never tried to rip off Wozniak like Edison had done to Tesla (which Edison later regretted).
Except that Jobs did rip off his friend... at least once:
Quote:
While still with HP, Wozniak describes his moonlighting development, with Jobs, of the prototype of the arcade game Breakout for Atari, Inc in only four days. He also describes, without bitterness, how Jobs shortchanged him on the job. Jobs, who worked for Atari Inc., said he would give Wozniak half of "whatever they paid him" for development of the game. Jobs subsequently gave Wozniak $375, saying Atari Inc. paid him $750 for the game. Later Wozniak found out that Atari Inc. actually paid Jobs five thousand dollars for the game.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-27, 07:20 PM
Veteran

I stand corrected.

Jobs, you owe Woz some cash. Pay up!

The comparison between Henry Ford and Bill Gates is pretty good. A personal computer with its complexity can be a bit overwhelming in the hands of the ordinary person, just like the Model T was at the time before all cars adopted today's greatly simplified but entirely functional control layout. The following video starting at 5:08 will better explain what I mean.

In a way, Steve Jobs is creating the standard set of SIMPLE controls that had been missing from all computers since the very beginning, just like the simple controls Cadillac had introduced in their cars, and which were adopted by other manufacturers.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaye View Post
Not that it really matters but the revenue/ net income numbers for AAPL posted in this thread are incorrect.
I just did a copy and paste from marketwatch.com. The numbers are from the last fiscal year end. (Sep/09 for Apple)
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 06:02 AM

As I said, not that it really matters, but if you can read the accounting blah blah they filed in Q1 of 2010 they have a new 'magical' accounting principles. They also have revised the income statements for the past years to reflect these new accounting principles. I have no idea how this all works, but apparently it significantly changes the numbers (as in billions of dollars in changes) they report for revenue/net income.

http://www.apple.com/investor/

You can see the difference the new accounting makes by looking at the quarterly reports on market watch

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing...income/quarter

The numbers for net income almost double. It's not because they sold that much more, but just the way the accounting is now done. It's not that much of a leap to speculate next years annual numbers will almost match microsofts revenue/ net income

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 07:01 AM

The first cars were very much like the first computers!

Thanks for the video, that was a fun watch

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 01:14 PM

I found a good article explaining (well it explains it a lot better than the blah blah in Apple's Q1 report for me ) the accounting changes Apple made and why they had to declare their revenue using subscription accounting.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...g_changes.html

Interesting read. An odd occurrence where a new law was supposed to prevent companies like Enron over inflating their revenue worked in reverse for Apple where they had to 'under report' their revenue.

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 01:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The iPod saved Apple.
I beg to differ.

It's ultimately a computer, the iMac, which saved Apple. The iPod was not a "hot" gadget until its second or third generation. I owned a first gen 5 GB white iPod in 2002 and for the better part of one year, nobody even knew what it was, nor could they relate to why one would need such a product.

By the time the iPod became very popular around 2004, there would have been little or nothing left of Apple had they not been able to cash in on the colourful all-in-one desktop, which sold like hotcakes in schools and inspired the MacBook, Apple's first budget laptop.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 03:15 PM

what saved Apple was the marketing campaign that convinced everyone that paying a premium for a device made them somehow cool, hip, and better than everyone else

they magically found that button that brought out the inner elitist in everyone
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 03:36 PM
Veteran

Macs have always been more expensive than PCs. In fact, during Apple's dark ages (the 90s), the argument that price was the barrier to mass adoption lead to the appearance of Mac clones.

When Steve Jobs returned to the company in 1997, killing the licenses with clone makers was the first thing he did. Then he went to work on Mac OS 8 and the iMac, and people started to take notice again, just like they had in the mid 80s. For about 10 years, Apple had lost its edge. There were cheaper alternatives to their OS and their hardware, and people voted with their wallets.

I felt very different (no better, different) from anyone else around me when I was working on my Mac 15 years ago. I was using it because it just worked. Fifteen years later, I don't feel so different anymore (everybody is jumping on the bandwagon). But I still use Apple technology for the same reason: it works and makes me more productive.

With the iMac and OS 8, Apple regained its edge. Other products such as the iPod, the iPhone, Mac OS 9 and especially X, as well as good marketing and industrial design have allowed Apple to claw its way back from near death.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 04:08 PM

Quote:
what saved Apple was the marketing campaign that convinced everyone that paying a premium for a device made them somehow cool, hip, and better than everyone else
My first Mac was the 'lamp shade' 800Mhz G4. I bought it because it looked cool. And well, I wanted to be cool and have a cool computer.

I pulled it out of the box, plugged it in and was surfing the net in less than 5 minutes. Easiest computer to get on my wifi network ever.

Just starting using the Mac more and more over my other Windows/Linux computers until I was using it 100% of time. I got carried away and started buying cinema displays, ipods, PowerBooks, nothing could stop me from pressing that damn 'Buy it Now' button on apple's website.

So in essence, what you say is partly true, except I always thought I was better than everyone else before I bought my first iMac

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 2010-05-28, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaye View Post
The numbers for net income almost double. It's not because they sold that much more, but just the way the accounting is now done. It's not that much of a leap to speculate next years annual numbers will almost match microsofts revenue/ net income
You're right. I was vaguely aware of the accounting changes but I had no idea how significant they were. Now I AM impressed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in