Who is more monopolistic Microsoft or Apple? - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 10:30 PM

I find it hard to believe that there are few independent recording studios when Sudbury has seven (three that I know have top quality equipment and excellent engineers).

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 11:07 PM

Thumbs down Lower standards does not make great music sorry Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
You're moving the goalposts.
I did not mean to get off the topic of Apple hogging the show with the ubiquitous ipod/iphone itunes gift cards download tunes crap offers in every iWalmart, iLondon Drugs, iSeben Elf (7/11) and iFutureShop come iBestBuy on the iplanet.

Perhaps you are right it is because of this fact that there is no real and tangible link between the artist and the music distribution system anymore. There are no more scouts out there going to concerts with the exception of companies like Naxos. Which is a small but fortunately growing company which targets the demographics of the classical, jazz and concert recording listener. There are also a few left in Europe..
Quote:
First you claimed that a few companies controlled media distribution which is patently not true and attempted to portray some strange tie in between DRM and Macintosh/Garage Band.
The music industry is a shadow of what it once was because of slant towards a least common denominator marketing approach by Sony, Apple and all of what is left of the major players.

I was not trying to tie DRM and the Itunes format itwattle... My point was that the major recording institutions have all been swallowed up by one or two mega corps. And companies like Apple's itunes music store now have to go to them to get content that the greats recorded in the past to have any classical content to distribute at all. They record and create nothing.
Quote:
Heck, I'd wager that pop music has been outselling classical music since early in the last century.
and the little known fact is that many of the great pop musicians that did the work necessary to put the "pop" artists on the charts listen to and study classical music. Sting plays the lute and sings John Dowland, Pastorius studied Bach bass lines to get his great chops (may his memory remain for those who know how great he was!).

The list of great contemporaries that owe a debt to the field of classical music and the titans of the past is too long to list here. But the few that I have met all honour the classical arts and how it keeps craftsmanship alive in the field of music.
Quote:
Not sure how old you are and if you remember the "bad old days" before HMV superstores arrived in Canada. Back then, the only way to properly listen to new classical recordings was to find a store specializing in that type of music. (not found in malls) or to head downtown and visit the chain headquarters. Nowadays, it's a cinch to keep track of what's happening in that genre.....
If you are referring to the "good old days" when I could go down to a record store that would either stock or order Columbia Classics like Le Sacre Du Printemps recorded by Igor in 1960 with the Columbia Symphony....

then yes I remember and despise what has happened to the distribution of classical music. As far as HMV and Itunes store goes they peddle to a completely different clientèle and cannot even be considered by those seeking great recordings.
Quote:
I submit that iTunes has actually lowered the barriers to entry for the reasons I stated in my last post.
I agree and in so doing lowered the standard of music production and classical music recording available to the consumer world wide...my Ipod dock connector on my 1100$ ONKYO 7.1 pushing my good old Kef constructor series speakers remains unused and like my appendix subject to debate as to initial purpose and future utility.

However if audio DVDs in full Dolby 7.1 at 24/192 of Karl Bohm and the Vienna Philharmonic ever become available then I would gladly pay top dollar for the media... And no I do not need to watch the DVD of the Orchestra to appreciate what is happening.

but come on... crap mix down remasters of Beethoven's greatest hits by the worlds Greatest Orchestras which is what Itunes and HMV peddle ...do you seriously think they are even worth the 99 cents per download or 12-15 dollars per disk?
post #123 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-05-31, 11:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricReesor View Post
The music industry is a shadow of what it once was because of slant towards a least common denominator marketing approach by Sony, Apple and all of what is left of the major players.
No, the music industry is a shadow of what it once was because it didn't get off its ass and recognize it distribution channel was undergoing a radical shift and chose to fight back with consumer-hostile protection schemes. I bought my last two "regular" CDs about three or four years ago. I didn't read the fine print and found out when I tried to rip them that both were copy protected. Now, it was easy enough to bypass but why should I have to put up with that crap? The only reason why I started buying music again is because Apple dropped its DRM restrictions.

Quote:
I was not trying to tie DRM and the Itunes format itwattle... My point was that the major recording institutions have all been swallowed up by one or two mega corps. And companies like Apple's itunes music store now have to go to them to get content that the greats recorded in the past to have any classical content to distribute at all. They record and create nothing.
How are the takeovers in the music industry Apple's fault? Once again, iTunes is just a store. I don't recall Sam's or HMV recording and creating anything. You seem to resent the fact that Apple promotes what sells (pop culture). This is hardly a justification for a government investigation. Being a classical musical enthusiast perhaps you can answer a question. Early last year a new classical music webstore opened and got some mention in the mainstream press. When I visited the whole shopping experience was pretty rough and after checking in for a couple weeks I stopped visiting. It's a longshot but do you know the site I'm talking about?

post #124 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-06-01, 07:07 AM
Veteran

Perhaps "studios" was the wrong term. Later in that post, I referred to "lablels" which might be closer to what I meant. A recording studio is only one part of the process and many people can set up their own. It's what comes next that can be the problem. A record company will do more than just record the music. They will do what they can to promote their talent etc. There used to be many companies that would take new talent, record them and then promote them. Now most of those smaller companies, where so many of the artists started have gone.
post #125 of 127 (permalink) Old 2011-04-15, 02:15 PM

I wonder how long until the heading should be Microsoft, Apple or Google?

Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Harmony 670, Rogers HD 8300, 3250HD, Denon AVR-591, Chartwell SL3-5A, Venturer SHD-7000, Samsung 1600 BR.
post #126 of 127 (permalink) Old 2011-04-16, 11:03 AM
Veteran

When Google removes their backdoor that allows non Android store apps, and worse, when they restrict buying content like Apple has.
post #127 of 127 (permalink) Old 2011-04-16, 11:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I wonder how long until the heading should be Microsoft, Apple or Google?
....or Amazon
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in