Who is more monopolistic Microsoft or Apple? - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Given the delay between Vista and XP shouldn't there have been tons of pent up demand for Vista? Arguably Win7 is really just Vista SP2 - with MS trying to put The name Vista behind them ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 11:59 PM
Veteran

The demand was there but Vista got a really bad rep as being bloated and buggy from the start. Add to that the number of people who only know XP because it's been around so long. They just don't want to learn anything new as long as XP "just works." XP was a huge improvement over Win9x. The advantages to Vista or Win7 over XP are not as apparent. There are also a lot of disadvantages with Vista and Win7 on older hardware, especially with Vista.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #63 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 01:04 AM

Quote:
herefore I have two choices

Buy and use MS Windows and their office software and stay on the 4-5 year hardware/software upgrade treadmill.

break the bank and buy an Apple and an over priced copy of Office and still be on the treadmill.
you should consider my wife's setup. She has an iMac with and external monitor (so she's got two monitors). She runs Windows in Parallels for her MS needs on the external monitor and everything else on the iMac monitor. Two computers in one.

Didn't break the bank. I believe we paid less than $3K for the setup, computer, second monitor and software.

Upgrade the system when you need to. We do it every 3-4 years. We both have 2 computers (4 computers in total) so we stagger the upgrade so we only have to buy a new system once a year to be on top of the game.

Best DYI TV antenna plans - I use the Bi-Quad Indoor TV Antenna

post #64 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 07:40 AM
Veteran

^^^^

Virtual computers are common on Linux too. However, the license on the cheaper versions of Windows prohibits running in a virtual machine.
post #65 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 10:52 AM
Veteran

Virtualbox will do everything the MS product will, has been available for years and it's free. The MS emulator is functionally almost identical to Virtualbox as well. Is this another example of MS using its virtual (pun intended) desktop monopoly to drive a competing product out of business? Probably. BTW, it worked since Sun is now out of business, sold to Oracle, after having MS beating on it's business model and products for decades. Sun won the battle against MS over its Java patents but lost the economic war since MS used it's market share to win in the long term. I also suspect that there was a battle to fight over Virtualbox patents but it's too late now. That's the problem with MS, they want a monopoly over all Windows based technology and will do anything, including breaking the law, to achieve it. MS can afford to license all of the technology they want. They can also afford to purchase competitors such as Netscape or Sun. Instead, they chose to steal competitor's technology, drive them out of business or use FUD (lies and deceit) to gain market advantage. That is the hallmark of a monopoly.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #66 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 10:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHrisCHu View Post
It's especially bad when people like you constantly ignore the facts that MS has used dirty strategies to monopolise the market.
I perfectly got your analogy, no need to repeat it all over. Obviously I need to explain, though, that I was making fun of you, "haters" and "freedom fighters" (I guess I need to put a disclaimer that sarcasm is being used). The pain from the perception that something bad was done to your favourite cause (Linux) in the days of your childhood still lingers, and prevents you from seeing basic facts - that the world has moved on - people outside the geek circles don't care what OS is being used, as long the work gets done, Windows is much better than you think (reading most of the complaints here just makes me laugh), and Linux is for servers.

Quote:
People like you who constantly ignore certain facts are of course going to switch to IE. On the other hand, I tried Silverlight on many different sites with Chrome and have never ever had any issue or glitch. So, what qualifies MS to pop up such an annoying message window? Note that this is not a dialog window where the user can acknowledge it and make it go away in any further occurence (even that is still bad tactics to me). The window pops up every time you initiate Silverlight on a web site and there's no way to disable further pop up in Chrome.
Oh, the pain. All right, guilty as charged - I have never seen this problem, because I just don't have the uncontrolable urge to look for alternatives of IE, so I haven't even tried Chrome (but I promise that as soon as I encounter even the slightest need for that or at least one problem with IE or Firefox I will try it ). I also have gripes of my own, like why there's no flash player for iPhone and the 64-bit IE8 browser, but try to keep the pain inside instead of burning Adobe's (or Apple's or Microsoft's) flags - maybe because I realize that the problem seems big only in my own eyes, and the world, and the above mentioned corporations don't not give much of a damn about that. If I were in your shoes, I'd rather use another browser (non-Microsoft, of course ), that doesn't give me annoying messsages. But I guess, you are too young, and still imagine a perfect world, where everything goes exactly according to the ideas of justice inside your head, and have the energy to fight for it.
Peace.
post #67 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 11:16 AM
Veteran

Thumbs down

What is being ignored here is that Silverlight is an unnecessary product, a solution creating a problem, is not required by the marketplace but is simply a product that MS invented to damage a competitor's product. No other company would get away with this but MS can use it's Windows dominance to force Silverlight on a market place that doesn't need it and doesn't want it. Adobe Flash is the de facto standard for integrating multimedia, graphics, animations and interactivity into browsers but MS decided they want that market. Do I need Silverlight? NO. Do I want another plugin that ties me to using IE instead of competing browsers? NO. Is MS once again trying to use its Windows product to damage competitors and create a monopolistic market share? YES.

Athur, there are lots of problems with IE. The worst of which is that it has been insecure for the last 4 years because MS refuses to fix security holes. You might not have seen them, or wondered where that virus or root kit came from, and not realized it was due to IE.

post #68 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 11:23 AM
Veteran

That's a bit of a misrepresentation don't you think? Every company competing in the same space will introduce products to take away market share from its rivals.
post #69 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 11:23 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
MS can afford to license all of the technology they want. They can also afford to purchase competitors such as Netscape or Sun. Instead, they chose to steal competitor's technology, drive them out of business or use FUD (lies and deceit) to gain market advantage. That is the hallmark of a monopoly.
That is the hallmark of pure evil, not of a monopoly.
post #70 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 11:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Adobe Flash is the de facto standard for integrating multimedia, graphics, animations and interactivity into browsers but MS decided they want that market. Do I need Silverlight? NO.
What if, in this statement, you substitute Adobe Flash with, let's say IE, MS with Google, and Silverlight with Chrome. Would you still stand behind it?
Warning: endorsing another monoplistic proprietary technology like Adobe Flash may discredit all your attempts at pointing finger at others.
post #71 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 11:39 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Athur, there are lots of problems with IE. The worst of which is that it has been insecure for the last 4 years because MS refuses to fix security holes. You might not have seen them, or wondered where that virus or root kit came from, and not realized it was due to IE.
Now, you got me scared. Rootkits and viruses on my machine? Does everyone have them?
post #72 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 11:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Now, you got me scared. Rootkits and viruses on my machine? Does everyone have them?
Sarcasm noted.

post #73 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 11:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
What if, in this statement, you substitute Adobe Flash with, let's say IE, MS with Google, and Silverlight with Chrome. Would you still stand behind it?
The difference is that Adobe created a product that people wanted, filled niche and won market share on it's own merits. The same could be said of Google. Let's face it, Google does not force me to install Chrome to use their search engine, they don't throw it in my face every time I use their site or try to install it on my system without my knowledge (like MS does with Windows update) or to view the web sites of their business partners. MS uses all these tactics. The facts are: Windows is/was forced on people who purchase PCs. IE is/was forced on people who use Windows. MS is trying to force Silverlight on people who use Windows or IE. Silverlight is being leveraged to force people to use IE instead of Firefox. Does Google use these tactics on people who use their search engine? NO.

post #74 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 12:33 PM

Adobe has done a great job of branding and marketing.

I still consider Flash as being a Macromedia product though. When Adobe bought Macromedia there was quite a bit of overlap between all of the products. Adobe kept Flash as their own and tried to expand and keep the browser plugin market viable.

Microsoft seems to think we're in the 90's and still need browser plugins with Silverlight. MS and Adobe can knock themselves out trying to win this market for all I care.

I sure hope HTML5 + CSS + Javascript is where everything will head. The future is browsing on any device whether it be my TV, my phone, tablet or computers not just browsing on my computer. There are plenty of competent browser manufacturers from MS, Apple, Firefox, Opera that can fill all the holes to get this browser tech on every device made that can connect to the Internet.

Best DYI TV antenna plans - I use the Bi-Quad Indoor TV Antenna
post #75 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 12:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaye View Post
Microsoft seems to think we're in the 90's and still need browser plugins with Silverlight. MS and Adobe can knock themselves out trying to win this market for all I care.

I sure hope HTML5 + CSS + Javascript is where everything will head. The future is browsing on any device whether it be my TV, my phone, tablet or computers not just browsing on my computer. There are plenty of competent browser manufacturers from MS, Apple, Firefox, Opera that can fill all the holes to get this browser tech on every device made that can connect to the Internet.
I share that view. I don't see a bright future for Silverlight and Flash. I just do not to put emotions or make decisions based on emotions from the 90's in this highly competitive business.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in