Who is more monopolistic Microsoft or Apple? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I may be paranoid but I prefer having the content that I want on my hardware so that I can totally control it. You never know when it will disappear on when the pricing model will change. Try explaining that Apple has decided to change their policy on old TV shows to your 4 year old daughter who just wants to watch a specific episode of Dora!

I have taped hundreds of kids shows - they have no DRM and I can use them as I see fit. I can watch them on a PC (or one of the 5 SageTV extenders in my house that connect to my server) or I can burn to DVD, copy to a laptop, convert to MP4 and upload to my iPad or stream over the net to any PC via SageTV Placeshifter or Air Video.

And much of what I watch is sports that isn't available on iTunes. Particularly rather esoteric (for North American tastes) stuff like rugby from Europe, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa that is available on Setanta sports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 07:02 PM

I doubt Apple will remove the content I purchased from my computer when they explicitly said I would own it - when I purchased it.

Best DYI TV antenna plans - I use the Bi-Quad Indoor TV Antenna
post #48 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
Yup, every MS hater has a reason or ten for using Windows. Why can't you just put your money where your mouth is? I didn't like Linux, deleted it, and never looked back. I have absolutely NO need for Linux and NO need to go and tell Linux fans that they are geeks who've lost touch with reality. Microsoft users can easily do without your super-duper OS, it's you who can't live without Windows, and yet it's you who passionately continue to insult 95% of the world computer users. I'm so tired of your kind. You are so far from being able to be objective, yet so ready to give opinion and advice.
This is exactly the problem people don't understand why people don't like MS. See my automotive industry analogy on post #25.

Here's one analogy of why MS haters can't lose MS. We all know internal combustion engine dominates the automotive industry up-to-date. Compare to electric motor, internal combustion engine is crap in terms of efficiency in converting chemical energy into kinetic energy, in terms of noise and heat generated, in terms of flexibility for use, in terms of maintenance level required, in terms of emission. Everything about electric motor beats internal combustion engine hands down. Despite decades after decades and huge amount of effort pouring into refining the internal combustion engine to up its efficiency by a few percent, an electric motor can easily double its efficiency. So why are we still using internal combustion engines? It's not about how good it is. It's because of monopolising market share which makes refueling facilities favor the internal combution engine.

post #49 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 01:40 AM

I think people in general like stuff that is familiar.

I have Macs and I'm quite familiar with how they work and enjoy using them. I also have a XP laptop that it's only purpose is to update itself (I have Windows update set to automatic and never use the laptop). My wife has Parallels running XP on her Mac just so she can use her accounting software that she is familiar with. She uses Office for the Mac because she is familiar with it.

When I was in Florida I tried to set my father-in-law's laptop to share the Internet connection wirelessly so I could surf for free on my iPhone and avoid the roaming charges. On a Mac I know where the checkbox is to turn on sharing. I had no idea where it is on Windows 7. I just gave up trying to figure out how to do it. Laziness probably cost me $100.

My servers on the net are all Linux. I ssh'd into them all the time and configure stuff. I never got comfortable with using a GUI for this stuff so I edit text files from the command line.

And I'm sure other people have different opinions based on what they are familiar with.

---------

So where am I heading with this? It's 2010 and there are plenty of alternative solutions. There is no need to hate a platform or even argue which one is best. They are all different and have their advantages and disadvantages. Find your combination that gives you the most enjoyment. Technology is quite marvellous and magical nowadays. Just 15 years ago it wouldn't even be possible for a bunch of Canadians from coast to coast to get together and even talk about this stuff electronically and instantly.

post #50 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 11:18 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHrisCHu View Post
So why are we still using internal combustion engines? It's not about how good it is. It's because of monopolising market share which makes refueling facilities favor the internal combution engine.
Yes, what a wonderful world we would be living in, if that bad, bad bad fuel-eating Earth-destroying Microsoft just rolled up and died, died, died, clearing the way for the sent from the future electric motor like, Earth-friendly, good, good, good Linux. The free "Crysis" in 3D and the free OpenOffice Mind Reading Edition would be running on every desktop, and the CPUs would not need to be anything newer than i386, because of the heavenly efficiency of Linux.
Now I fully understand why you people hate Microsoft.
post #51 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaye View Post
I doubt Apple will remove the content I purchased from my computer when they explicitly said I would own it - when I purchased it.
It wasn't Apple but there is the infamous Kindle 1984 story. I am worried about biz models where you may only be licensing the content for a fixed period of time. I also far prefer non-DRMed content to DRMed content. If Apple ends up losing the battle you may not be able to play iTunes purchased content on other devices in the future - say the AndroidPad that turns out to be the iPad killer.

The other potential issue is obsolence of the media that you purchased - will you have to rebuy "Star Wars" in the future because formats will have changed? Will they give you credit to "trade-in" you 2009 iTunes purchase of the movie in mp4 (or m4v) format when you buy the SuperHD 4320p version in 2018?

I have purcahsed Led Zeppelin IV at least three times - the LP back in the 70s, a cassette in the 80s and a CD in the 90s. I don't want to also have to do this with other content.
post #52 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 05:06 PM

I'm sure if any of these scenarios ever arise two things will happen

1) Lawyers will be tripping over themselves trying to file class action lawsuits
2) A creative 14 year old from Sweden will publish a software program to convert my Apple media to some other format.

post #53 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 07:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
A monopoly and an anti-trust violation are different things, but some people in this thread are trying to use the terms interchangeably.
Microsoft committed anti-trust trust violations in an attempt to become a monopoly. They almost succeeded as well. That's where the lines blur.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #54 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 08:50 PM

I do not like Apple's insistence of total control over every aspect of almost every one of their products. Right down to preventing their customers from replacing the battery in a device they own. At least, for the moment, third party companies are still permitted to write software for the OS-X platform. But how much longer will companies like Adobe continue to release Mac versions of their software if Apple continues their draconian policies with their other products? Imagine if every program written for Windows had to be approved by Microsoft before being released on the market?

And for the Linux fans out there...how many people do you think would continue to write and release software if there was no money in it? Profit drives progress, no profit no reason to release new versions of software and progress comes to a dead halt.

For Wayne, I've already bought a number of movies on three different formats...VHS, DVD and now Blu-ray. You could even make that 4 or 5 formats for those who started with Beta and tried Laser Disc along the way. And I'm sure that before I'm done I'll have spent money for a 3D version of at least a couple of movies I now own on both DVD and Blu when I inevitably move to that level.

That's life, that's progress. Embrace it or remain in the past. We all have the ability to choose what kind of computer we prefer to use and what technology we wish to spend our money on. No one is holding a gun to our heads.
post #55 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
Yes, what a wonderful world we would be living in, if that bad, bad bad fuel-eating Earth-destroying Microsoft just rolled up and died, died, died, clearing the way for the sent from the future electric motor like, Earth-friendly, good, good, good Linux. The free "Crysis" in 3D and the free OpenOffice Mind Reading Edition would be running on every desktop, and the CPUs would not need to be anything newer than i386, because of the heavenly efficiency of Linux.
Now I fully understand why you people hate Microsoft.
You still don't get the point or you just argue for the sake of argument. My point is not about the (in)efficiency aspect of MS (although that is indeed another issue). This thread is about monopoly. My point is about how monopoly keeps a bad product in the market and why bad-product hater hates the bad product, in response to your question. There are lots of people who praise electric cars. Unfortunately, because internal combustion engines monopolise the market, there're no recharging facilities or no plan to improve recharging facilities to make electric cars feasible (not today at least). That doesn't make internal combustion engine a good product. There are lots of people who like Linux and know it has a better architecture to begin with. Unfortunately, MS has monopolised the market in the beginning and therefore prevents a good architecture to take off while promoting a bad product to grow. It's especially bad when people like you constantly ignore the facts that MS has used dirty strategies to monopolise the market.

Now back to the topic of who is more monopolistic. Note that there's a huge difference between the following two:

1). Apple dominates (not monopolises) the MP3 scene with iTunes
2). MS monopolises (not dominates) the web browser scene with IE

For 1), if you don't like Apple or iTunes you don't have to use them to buy MP3s online and play them on your MP3 players.

For 2), many people are "forced" to use IE in some way because of dirty strategies used by MS. For example, MS creates Silverlight and gets its way into some big sites (perhaps somehow using MS's big market share which I applaud or using some dirty tactics which I won't applaud). Now here is the bad part. Silverlight is designed to check for the browser and pops up an annoying message window every time you run Silverlight on Google Chrome suggesting the browser may not be compatible. People like you who constantly ignore certain facts are of course going to switch to IE. On the other hand, I tried Silverlight on many different sites with Chrome and have never ever had any issue or glitch. So, what qualifies MS to pop up such an annoying message window? Note that this is not a dialog window where the user can acknowledge it and make it go away in any further occurence (even that is still bad tactics to me). The window pops up every time you initiate Silverlight on a web site and there's no way to disable further pop up in Chrome.

Now who is dominating? Who is monopolising? See the difference?
post #56 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 10:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
no profit no reason to release new versions of software and progress comes to a dead halt
Actually, many companies are making money with Linux, even without selling the software.
post #57 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 10:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Silverlight is designed to check for the browser and pops up an annoying message window
This is precicely the method used to keep people from running Windows on DR-DOS. If DR-DOS was found, Windows gave a bogus error message. It is anti-competitive behaviour, plain & simple.
post #58 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 10:09 PM

Not exactly that simple if you use computers to do your work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcham View Post
That's life, that's progress. Embrace it or remain in the past. We all have the ability to choose what kind of computer we prefer to use and what technology we wish to spend our money on. No one is holding a gun to our heads.
Here is the kicker for years I have been forced to use Windows software at home. My wifes work dictates that she is always up to date and fluent in the latest and greatest MS Office ware so she can train her staff. Therefore I have two choices
  1. Buy and use MS Windows and their office software and stay on the 4-5 year hardware/software upgrade treadmill.
  2. break the bank and buy an Apple and an over priced copy of Office and still be on the treadmill.

If there were Linux releases (which I would gladly buy!) of both Internet Explorer and MS Office available in stores then I would praise Microsoft to the heavens...as it stands they are a non competitive company that abuses their monopoly position to force consumers and office workers to buy their products and their OS!
It has turned out that many of us poor suckers are forced into this because of this digital monopoly.

Consider the social consequences of how the digital revolution toward a single software monopoly is effecting people
  1. social (digital divide) either you use the technology or you do not work at a job that pays any decent amount,
  2. environmental... off shore land files stuffed with junk we throw out ....(recycle in new speak... forgetting the original reuse and recycle jargon from the 60's) This electronic junk usually winds up in the third world (read: low cost labour) recycling depots some of which use extensive child labour!

How things have turned out since Microsoft ate IBM for breakfast are way out of proportion to the return that individuals receive for paying one software company for the privilege of doing business and digital work.
post #59 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricReesor View Post
[*]Buy and use MS Windows and their office software and stay on the 4-5 year hardware/software upgrade treadmill.
I think 4-5 years is no longer accurate, at least when it comes to software. My company uses Win XP Pro, which is now 9 years old, and Office 2003, which is 7 years old. I would bet that those are still the most widely used OS and Office version in use today in the corporate world. Like many companies we are probably a year or so away from moving to Win7 and Office 2010. So replace 4-5 years with 8-10 years so the cost is much less than what you indicate as you could argue that it is being amortized over a much longer period.
post #60 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 11:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
My company uses Win XP Pro, which is now 9 years old, and Office 2003, which is 7 years old.
Windows XP is an anomaly on the software landscape that was created by the US antitrust lawsuit. That delayed Vista until restrictions on Windows software ended and caused MS to overreach in its goals for Vista. How long was Vista available? About 3 years, a time line much closer to the MS goal for consumer upgrades. Support for Vista will stop 5 years after its release, even before extended support for XP ends. Vista was a huge failure because XP was so entrenched and most PC hardware was not ready to run it. Even MS is trying to make Vista prematurely obsolete so that Win7 is the new standard. Then MS will start making consumers pay for regular Windows upgrades. They are also making big businesses adopt an annual maintenance program that basically makes them pay regardless of the version of Windows they use. MS is also closing loopholes that let consumers use business versions of Windows XP instead of buying retail versions. MS never intended to support XP as long as it did but was forced to due to legal and market forces. If they had their way, a new version of Windows would have been released around 2005.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in