Who is more monopolistic Microsoft or Apple? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 11:42 AM
Veteran

So, you have a choice of OS-s and software, which allows you to completely bypass your most hated software maker's products. Why do you still have Microsoft stuff on your personal machines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 12:06 PM
Veteran

^^^^
My ThinkPad came with Windows and I never bothered removing it. However, it would have been nice to have been able to buy it without Windows, but thanks to Microsoft's legally proven strong arm tactics, that option is not available with most computer vendors. That ThinkPad, however, is the only computer I've ever owned that came with Windows installed. My computers have generally been "white box", where I could specify what I wanted or refurbs that came with no OS. On my own computers, I ran OS/2 for several years, before switching to Linux. I do have an Asus Eee PC, which I got from my bank, that came with Linux installed.
post #33 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 12:41 PM
Veteran

Yup, every MS hater has a reason or ten for using Windows. Why can't you just put your money where your mouth is? I didn't like Linux, deleted it, and never looked back. I have absolutely NO need for Linux and NO need to go and tell Linux fans that they are geeks who've lost touch with reality. Microsoft users can easily do without your super-duper OS, it's you who can't live without Windows, and yet it's you who passionately continue to insult 95% of the world computer users. I'm so tired of your kind. You are so far from being able to be objective, yet so ready to give opinion and advice.

post #34 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Trust me Notes is a horrible POS. When it crashes it typically requires you to reboot your system. It has all sorts of weird error messages that tell you nothing. Scheduling meetings is a hit or miss proposition, especially if these meetings are repeating.

http://www.ihatelotusnotes.com/

I have been running Linux Mint on a desktop PC and a Netbook. For the most part I like using Linux, but there are some things that can be a struggle, like getting wifi working and video drivers. And there still seems to be lots of things that require editing text files that are much easier in Windows - like permanently mounting a network shared drive. In Windows you click Tools|Map Network Drive. In Linux (at least in Mint) you can mount a drive with the GUI but it disappears upon a reboot. It appears that to make the mount permanent you have to add it to something like the /etc/fstab file and hope that you get lots of funny switches correct. Ugh!
post #35 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I think this Dilbert has now become appropriate:
post #36 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 04:33 PM

Whether or not Apple will find themselves in legal troubles by controlling the platform and market is for lawyers to decide, but, what they are trying to do is create the 'best user experience' they can for their products.

Of course what they consider is the 'best user experience' is debatable, and they are certainly not doing it for altruistic reasons - but to make a profit and as much profit as they can.

I've completely bought into Macs, iPhones, iPads, OSX, and the iTunes music store ecosystem. So far I'm enjoying the experience of the platform and have no major complaints. I have minor ones. But so far Apple has incrementally improved the products over time to make or correct mistakes they've made.

Competition is good. I'm sure Google's Android OS and HP/Dell Windows driven tablets will provide good enough competition to keep Apple on their toes. The day Apple loses their competitive edge or desire to be competitive is the day I'll consider another platform/ecosystem.

It would be a shame for the lawyers to screw stuff up with lawsuits of anti-competitive/monopolistic practices. Hopefully it will never come to that.

Best DYI TV antenna plans - I use the Bi-Quad Indoor TV Antenna
post #37 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 04:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
When it crashes it typically requires you to reboot your system.
I used it mostly on OS/2, the first time I worked at IBM (late 90's). I don't recall any such issues. BTW, I was on the team that built the standard desktops for IBM Canada and provided 3rd level support for them. I don't recall those issues coming up in our weekly meetings either. What I do recall was the vast majority of problems were with Windows (and Windows apps) and with OS/2, once you set up a user, you rarely heard from them again because it just worked.
post #38 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 04:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Whether or not Apple will find themselves in legal troubles
A closed system, by itself, is not illegal. However, their attempts to control what 3rd party apps are available may be heading that way.
post #39 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 05:00 PM

So far the rules they've placed for app submission have been pretty well an even playing field. Small developers to even Google themselves have been denied submission for rule violation of the terms of agreement.

Most rules are spelled out clearly (can't use undocumented library calls). Some are not, and perhaps it's the gray area (such as apps can't be offensive to others) that might get them in trouble. They could get in trouble with the duplicate functionality rule - such as you can't make a email program.

On the other hand, they have made improvements and fine tuned the process of app submission to make it easier to be approved. And competition could relax some of the rules too. I'd rather see competition in the market change stuff for the better than lawsuits trying to change stuff.

post #40 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaye View Post
Whether or not Apple will find themselves in legal troubles by controlling the platform and market is for lawyers to decide, but, what they are trying to do is create the 'best user experience' they can for their products.
The 'best user experience' can be pretty broad and wasn't that pretty much MS's defence of having such a close relationship between IE and the Windows OS. Microsoft could use this same rationale for stating that all Windows apps must be approved by MS.

For the most part I like the Apple experience, but some things are kind of frustrating. Copying some types of files is kind of awkward - like photos (I think you can only sync folders - not drag & drop files) and files that are used by other apps, such as pdfs, can also be awkward and non-intuitive. It would also be nice if we would have the option of also more support for clicking on files in Safari and having those files added to the file list of the supported Apps - i.e to the Kindle app on the iPad.

The other thing I find very frustrating is the rather strict limitation in the types of video files played on the iPad (or its siblings). If I remember correctly you can play .mp4s, .m4vs and .movs but not other types of video files such as AVIs, MKVs, MPEG-2s, etc, even when this is just a slightly different container (MKV) for a codec (H.264) that is supported on the device. With other platforms you can get "other" types of players like VLC that can play almost any type of file.
post #41 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 05:18 PM

On a Mac you just select which photo albums in iPhoto to sync. It's pretty darn easy. You can even select which Mac to sync albums and which Mac to sync other stuff. For example, the iPad is set up to sync apps on my Mac, and photos, bookmarks, music on my wife's mac. The integration between iLife and iTunes is pretty good.

Quote:
The other thing I find very frustrating is the rather strict limitation in the types of video files played on the iPad (or its siblings). If I remember correctly you can play .mp4s, .m4vs and .movs but not other types of video files such as AVIs, MKVs, MPEG-2s, etc, even when this is just a slightly different container (MKV) for a codec (H.264) that is supported on the device. With other platforms you can get "other" types of players like VLC that can play almost any type of file.
Handbrake is a great app to convert file formats. Not sure if it's available for other platforms besides the Mac.

post #42 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Handbrake is available for PCs but converting is timely and a PITA - why can't they just support more video file types? I don't know about the Mac world but in the PC world AVIs and MKVs are about a thousand times more poplar than MP4s or M4Vs. I use SageTV as PVR software and it records files to MPEG-2 or .TS(H.264). I can have SageTV convert these to MP4s but again that is an extra step that takes time.

There is no iPhoto option for Windows. But why can't you just drag one photo onto the iPad to transfer over one photo rather than synching entire albums or folders.
post #43 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 05:58 PM

Have you looked at something like AirStream? Haven't tried it, but apparently you can stream directly to the iPad from your computer and it will convert the files on the fly. A nice option would be to save the stream to the iPad. But as I said, haven't looked into that app or program yet.

post #44 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaye View Post
Have you looked at something like AirStream?
Air Video - I have purchased it and it generally works quite well although there are a couple of minor bugs and sometimes it times out when getting the list of video files in a folder. It also doesn't like folders with hundreds of video files but this the way my Recorded TV folder works. Another similar app is Orb. Both of these require that you run a server app on your home PC/Mac.

The best case scenario for me would be to have a SageTV Placeshifter client available for the iPad. This would allow the streaming of all content on my SageTV server including LiveTV (I have four tuners in my Sage server) and TV shows in the process of recording which Air Video can't currently handle. There are SageTV Placeshifter version of Windows, Mac and Linux but not iPad/iPhone.

The reason that I am looking for all of this is that the iPad makes the ideal portable playback device and it would be great to be able to walk around my house while watching all of this content.
post #45 of 127 (permalink) Old 2010-04-21, 06:38 PM

If Apple could negotiate better prices with the content creators of tv shows I would just get everything from the iTunes store. They make it real easy to find and get content but I find the prices a bit steep for tv episodes.

An all you can eat, on demand library for $30 a month would have me hooked on watching everything from the iTunes store. Or even putting commercials in the content would work for me.

I already get all my new music and rent movies from the iTunes store.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in