More RAM or faster processor? HDD or SSD? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 07:47 PM
Veteran

Looks like a great build, and is pretty close to what I'd do if I were building a new system myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will check out the quieter cases, its amazing how pricey they can get.
My current tower sits right beside me it has 3 fans on the case as well as CPU fan, GPU fan and PSU fan.
Ive been told its on the louder side, but I do not even notice it. Maybe I have tuned it out, or the music cancels it out.

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-01-18, 01:49 AM

One suggestion for the PSU, if your not set on that Anitec one I'd highly recommend a Corsair TX750W, I did a lot of research and was very impressed with this unit. Really liked the 140mm fan, single 60amp rail. The one you listed with undoubtedly do just a well but for the same price, (or less I found), you could go with the corsair.

Great build!

Epson EX71, Tosh HD-A2, Denon AVR590, Athena P4100, Infinity P362,C250,P162. RCA L42WD22, Pio VSX1016, Athena LS50

post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-01-18, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will make the PSU change to the corsair.
I read the review, I did not understand a lot of it as I do not know a lot about electricity. But did like the cable management over the Antec.
Amazing there was a 10 page review on a PSU, I never would of guessed.

post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 07:06 AM

For reviews on PSUs and other hardware, HardwareCanucks is a great site.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/conte...ower_supplies/
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the review site, some very detailed and informative reviews on there.

post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 03:52 PM

I built a fairly similar computer a few months back:

- Intel Core i5-750
- Asus P7P55D-Pro motherboard
- 2gb ram (single stick for now, waiting for 4gb sticks)
- ASUS Nvidia 8400 GS "Silent" w/512 gb ram (waiting for cheaper vid card)
- 1.5 Tb HDD
- 550w Ultra power supply
- NMedia HTPC case (had major QC issues with this case)

I'm running Win 7 64-bit Home Premium, and Ubuntu 64-bit 9.10 on it, having some issues with Ubuntu not being able to run a custom resolution to compensate for overscan on my TV, other than that it's a great system.

Max memory usage so far has been roughly 1.2-1.3 Gb and that's with my average use (copying, converting videos, music, running game emulators, etc.). I did a mild overclock on the system considering I'm using the stock cooling fan, and it's running 100% stable at about 7% OC, just under 3.0 Ghz if I remember correctly. Did quite well in Everest benchmarks... I'm plenty happy with the i5-750 for a budget processor!
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

I do not plan to over clock, it worries me. No idea what I am doing and do not want to risk damage to the components.

Interesting though why one is able to over clock, why do manufactures just set the chips at the fastest possible speed.

post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 07:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by talljak View Post
I do not plan to over clock, it worries me. No idea what I am doing and do not want to risk damage to the components.

Interesting though why one is able to over clock, why do manufactures just set the chips at the fastest possible speed.
It is just due to usual production tolerence levels. The chip manufacturers are certain that their chips can operate without errors up to certain voltages and temps. While most chips are fine at much higher voltages, some will fail. The manufacturers obviously want as few failures as possible so there is no sense in them pushing the limits.
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Asus motherboard included overclocking software, just let it run and it'll run your system faster and faster until it becomes unstable, then steps it back a notch. I've never overclocked before this... But without overclocking it's still bloody fast!
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

I figure mine will also be speedy enough with out messing around with over clocking

post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-02-18, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Update:
Well I finally went ahead and ordered my custom system, after many lengthy reviews being read and all the input you all had I am confident I will have a nice fast PC that will last me an other 5+ years with tons of upgrade options.

Thanks again to everyone, I will post a review here once I get the call that its ready for pick up

post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-02-18, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Update:
Well I finally went ahead and ordered my custom system, after many lengthy reviews being read and all the input you all had I am confident I will have a nice fast PC that will last me an other 5+ years with tons of upgrade options.

Thanks again to everyone, I will post a review here once I get the call that its ready for pick up
What did you end up buying? I've been so spoiled by the i5-750 now that I get angry using other computers... I know there's faster chips out there (a handful) but for an $800 computer it's got excellent bang for the buck.
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-02-19, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

• Antec Nine Hundred II Gamer Case
  • Corsair HX 650W Modular Power Supply
  • Intel Core i7 Processor 860 2.80GHz w/ 8MB Cache
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
  • Asus P7P55D PRO w/ Dual DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E, CrossFireX / SLI
  • LG Super-Multi 22x DVD Writer
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64
  • Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm SATA II w/ 32MB Cache
  • Patriot Extreme Performance Viper II Series DDR3 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3-12800 Low Latency Dual Channel Kit
  • XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
  • ANTEC 120mm Blue LED Fan

post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 06:15 PM
Veteran

Thumbs up

Nice system.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in