WiFi Antenna for point to point @1.65 miles? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 02:55 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I came across some nice options from a company called Ubiquiti Networks. In particular they have a nice radio called the Bullet.

http://ubnt.ca/home?page=shop.browse&category_id=9
I'm interested to get wifi, and to see your results.

Here are a couple of videos about the Ubiquiti Bullet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXu-dfsIdI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIQwzuet55w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaye View Post
Quick calculations show an antenna 25ft from the ground (easily done with a chimney mount) will clear it
"Just Clearing it" may not be enough. If you haven't already found out about the "Fresnel" effect you might want to look it up. In a nutshell even with directional antennae there is a spread to the signal (like a cone radiating out) - the same with a receiving antenna's sensitivity. The two combined form a lens like pattern (hence "Fresnel") so if the building is in the middle of the path you have to take in to account the width of the fresnel zone at that point along the path. As you are relatively close it's probably not too much of a problem.

As one of my old profs used to say Radio Wave propagation is more of an art than a science. Sometimes things work for no apparent reason and sometimes they don't when logically they should.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Awesome video, the Bullet is bigger than I thought.

I'm still waiting for the 1000mW Bullet to be in stock. They say available after Dec 15 th. Hopefully in four days I'll get to order these units.

Best DYI TV antenna plans - I use the Bi-Quad Indoor TV Antenna

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

The calculation to clear it included the fresnel effect. This being a learning experience, I'm sure I'll be surprised with the results. (hopefully it will be a delightful surprise )

post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 04:50 PM
Veteran

One thing I noticed in the videos is that the Bullet has a shielded ethernet connector. So, if you're installing one of those, you'll be needing shielded, exterior grade ethernet cable. Working with that stuff is real "fun".
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-12-18, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkaye View Post
hmmm, no sense in using these boards if I have signal loss from the connector.

Here is a pic of single board computer with two wifi cards.

Each card has two ultra miniature connectors. The main antenna connector is in the corner if you are using is the one coax connection. I have mini cables that are about 11.5 inches long that break out the ultra miniature connector to an N-connector. If there is significant loss using this method then I'll have to look into a different wifi card - like the USB you mention that doesn't have these type of connectors.

Also, if I decide to go 802.11a at 5.8Ghz does the antenna scale linearly (can I change the dimensions to a fraction of 2.4/5.8 the lengths) or does the physical properties of the antenna change because of the higher frequency and at this point some sort of wave guide is better.
Fyi

Length: 8"
Thickness: 1.32mm cable.
Frequency Max rate: 6GHz
Cable Loss: 7.5dB/m
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-12-18, 10:09 PM
Veteran

Over 2 years ago I setup a 5 km backhaul link from my home to my data center. My first attempt was to use two consumer grade linksys GL radios and 24 dBi grid antennas, believe it or not it worked… we had a good signal but we could not figure out at first why the link would run so slow at only 1 Mbit. As it turned out we discovered that once you go over the 2 km limit the acknowledgment timing gets confused and as a result keeps retransmitting the same packets over and over again slowing the whole thing down to a crawl. The DD_WRT firmware at that time had no working way to adjust this...

I then decided to test some professional WISP radios that would allow me to run a 5km backhaul link with lots of speed. I contacted Tranzeo and they were nice enough to ship me some TR-5a radios and 24 inch microwave dish antennas to test. These radios run on 5.2 GHz to 5.8 GHz. I found the 5.8 end of the band to have too much noise and use the 5.2 frequency. The link has been running now solid for 2 years in every type of weather… and not having to pay Rogers or Bell for Internet is the best part of all along with the awesome speed… 20 Mbit up and down and I’m on a private VLAN with the server room from my home.

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-12-19, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

The antennas look really nice! Over 5km and good speeds, this is giving me the confidence that my crazy plan just might work!

I've read about the distance being a factor in the wifi protocol. One of the reasons I was impressed with the Bullet products is they have a simple UI that can set the distance the antennas are apart and the software will figure out the rest for the timing.

post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-12-19, 11:23 AM

That looks very expensive, how long was the payback from the initial investment there?
Ack timing has always been a feature in Tomato Firmware.
In addition to power levels it is also important to know how the 802.11 protocol uses acknowledge for each received frame. If acknowledge is not received the frame is re-transmitted. By default the maximum distance between transmitter and receiver is 1 mile (1.6 km). On longer distances the delay will force retransmissions.

thanks for the pics
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-12-28, 06:53 PM

Check this out...
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wi...e-wifi-kit.php
It's a kit but you can buy the parts individually as per your needs.
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 2011-12-03, 03:51 AM

tomato

Quote:
Ack timing has always been a feature in Tomato Firmware.
Yea, but tomato firmware still doesn't have client (or repeater) functionality so what do you use on the other end of your link?
(dd-wrt) which has Ack timing adjustment now.
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 2011-12-03, 08:47 AM

I simply do WDS/

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3810281

My pics http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/album.php?albumid=827

That's an old LOOK TV antenna with a 9dbi dipole for local, This has a wrt54gl inside the box running tomato firmware WDS.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 2011-12-03, 11:02 AM

I stand corrected

Thanks gexgeko,
I wondered if anyone still looked at this thread
I'm trying to remember why I abandoned wds as unsuitable to my use...
I'll have to look it up.
Tomato is cool, I put it on one of my routers once to check it out but, alas I was already using dd-wrt, had trouble finding my way around to some of the features and decided to stick with the familiar.
You seem familiar with tomato can you/it force a two antenna router to use only the right (or left) antenna exclusively ?
Hi hkaye (if you still monitor this thread) "nycwireless pebble" wow that was a cool OS did you know its been/being reworked as Voyage linux now. Pebble was the reason I started down the linux path.
Did your link work out or....?
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 2011-12-03, 11:08 AM

Yes U can.

http://192.168.1.2/advanced-wireless.asp

is the default .
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 2011-12-07, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHZ24 View Post
Yea, but tomato firmware still doesn't have client (or repeater) functionality so what do you use on the other end of your link?
(dd-wrt) which has Ack timing adjustment now.
Is this what you're wondering?

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3810281

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in