TV/8300 causes interference with wireless internet?? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2009-10-21, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Question TV/8300 causes interference with wireless internet??

I thought that an intermittent problem I was having with my wireless internet setup was related to the fact I moved into a 90 year old house with one phone jack... meaning I had a splitter with one line going to a phone and the other to my DSL modem - which then got plugged into my wireless router. I never had trouble with that setup before and so I chalked it up to possible physical "issues" with the construction of the house.

After setting up a new computer last night and getting frustrated all to heck with downloads that were slower that 56k modem speeds, I gave up and headed downstairs to watch tv. I shut off my 27" Citizen CRT television and 8300 (non-HD) PVR and off I went. Down to the first floor, fired up the LCD TV and 8300HD PVR.

About 50 minutes later I returned to my office and was shocked to see that the 80+ megabyte download was long done downloading and so back I went to setting things up again, getting the expected download speeds once again.

Today after work I decided to finish off the job so I fired up the CRT tv and non HD PVR and was once again pulling my hair out wondering why it was I was back to 1993 download speeds again!

Same thing... turned off the TV and PVR and then noticed that the bottleneck was gone again - so I started to "play". I was downloading iTunes from Apple's site and was chugging along at a rate of about 330mbps. I turned the TV and PVR on and watched it steadily fall for 10-15 seconds, the decline never stopping. I turned the TV and PVR off and the download rate started to climb again. On and off, off and on, I repeated to see if I could magically affect the download rate. And I did.

Tried the PVR by itself, no effect. TV by itself, no effect. Both on, download rate declines to a basic crawl and would have basically killed it if I let it languish long enough.

I've been handy with computers (hardware/software) for about 20 years... and am pretty good with cable stuff too... but I'm not a radio frequency or whatever the proper terminology would be for whatever it is with wireless signals. I tried changing 'channels' on my wireless router and that doesn't change anything. My phones are 5.8gig - so that shouldn't mess with the wireless router frequencies.

The TV is on a stand and the PVR is sitting on top of a dresser about 5 feet off the ground. Both are side by side - literally an inch or so apart. They are about 8 feet away from my computer setup... and my computer setup is about 35 feet north and one storey up from my router.

Given all this... and given that with the PVR/TV off, everything is perfect... is anything jumping out at anyone as to what is going on? I think the trial and error has narrowed down the cause. I'd like to know the WHY and if there's any solution.

For what it's worth, the HD-LCD TV and HD PVR being on on the main level, both about 8-10 feet away from the router have no bearing on anything. Wife's down there watching them right now.

Any brilliant thoughts or solutions to this puzzle will be greatly appreciated!!

Mike

The World As I See It
http://bulldog31.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2009-10-22, 12:07 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Sounds like you have some RF interference from the devices you mentioned. Be aware that sometimes the interference can be cumulative with one device "adding" to another, perhaps creating supercrests or supertroughs. I suggest you try additional experimentation. I would think that the TV is more of the problem than the PVR. Some people also have problems with cordless phones (2.4 GHz) - make sure you don't have one of those involved.

Also, check the RF-coax connections and cables you have on the equipment that's supposedly causing the problem. If the RF-coax is poor quality or doesn't have a good connection at all ends, that could be a source of the problem too. Try disconnecting the RF-coax completely and perhaps using different coax cable if you have it available.

See the following post outlining IR interference, which is a similar phenomenon. Perhaps some of the suggestions there will be handy - like moving affected equipment further apart.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

I've moved your thread to what I think is a more appropriate forum where you may get better responses.

Edit - try connecting the coax directly to the TV and use the TV's tuner. This may cause the interference without the 8300 being involved.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2009-10-22, 08:20 AM
Veteran

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see how your PVR & TV are connected. If you can have different cable choices between the two, try a different setup. Also, cables can act as antennas and often those with a ferrite choke at each end can supress interference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in