external hard drive problem - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-10-19, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

external hard drive problem

Looking for some suggested fixes before the wife kills me. We have a 250gb WD hard drive (E Book) connected to the laptop, used for storing documents and photos etc. It is no longer being recognised by the laptop, running XP SP3, and the illuminated power button on the front of the drive is blinking. I also noticed a few days ago it was making an odd clicking sound. I have tried unplugging it and restarting (this worked when it had the same issue a few months ago), rebooting the computer and trying other USB ports to no avail. I do have cd backups for most of the data, but there are some recent files I have not got around to yet (hence the reference to the wife and my untimely demise).

Is this the dying gasp of the hard drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-10-19, 11:22 AM
Veteran

It could be the enclosure itself , but then again it could be a bad drive. The fact that your PC doesn't see the drive at all makes me think it is the enclosure. If you have another enclosure, try that first. If you can remove the drive from the enclosure and install it directly in your PC, try that next.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-10-19, 11:35 AM

When you say XP doesn't recognise the drive, are you just referring to a drive letter in Windows Explorer or do you not see the device in device manager? Can you see the drive under Disk Management?

.: Panasonic TH-46PZ800 + DMP-BD35 : Rogers 8642 : Nintendo Wii : Xbox 360 : Harmony One :.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-10-19, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

It does not show up in My Computer as a drive. Sometimes it would show up as F:external drive but could not be accessed, other times it is blank. It usually is recognised as E Book. I can't check on those other suggestions until I get home tonight.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 07:36 AM
Veteran

The "clicking" sound itself is a strong indication the hard drive is dead or dying. See Google search results.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

The drive shows up on device manager and troubleshooting did not help. It slows the computer down when it is connected also. I hooked it up to my work laptop and same problem. It may have a virus, it may be shot. I'll see what the local shop can do (btw, it is way out of warranty so WD will be of no help).
Thanks for the suggestions.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 11:45 AM

What about disk management? (Right-click on "My Computer" and click "Manage") You may get more info regarding the health of your drive, but it does seem to be dying or dead. However it may just have bad sectors on the disk.

Depending on how important the data is to you, there are several recovery methods you could try, but either way you should buy a new drive for backing up your data.

FTK Imager is a free forensics tool that will allow you to get the data off the drive if it is readable at all. Make sure to find instructions online before using it.

http://www.accessdata.com/downloads/...te%202.6.1.zip

If you are able to get the data off using that utility or another, try some repair techniques such as: [drive letter] chkdsk /f

.: Panasonic TH-46PZ800 + DMP-BD35 : Rogers 8642 : Nintendo Wii : Xbox 360 : Harmony One :.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I don't have access to the Disk Management function on my office laptop so I can try that tonight. The work computer tries to access it and eventually recognises it as a drive but gives me a Data Inaccessible due to I/O error message. The local service tech said it would cost about $100 to diagnose and replace the case and USB connection IF that is the problem. With a 5 yr old drive I don't think it is worth the effort and $. I will see what I can do with what you suggested, but I think I will go with 4GB USB drives to back up documents and photos, then put on CD, as we don't need a lot of storage. The plan is to get a Mac in the near future with Time Capsule. Perhaps this will come sooner than later...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-10-22, 07:20 PM

Try putting the drive in the freezer overnight and then try to access your files the next day. Freezing the drive increases the tolerances between the heads and the drive platters as well the motor bearings. This may give you just enough time to be able to back up your data. It's always a good idea to back up any critical data to either another hard drive or to make two copies on DVD.

By the way...whether using a backup software on a PC or time machine on a Mac, if a drive dies, it dies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in