Using Laptop to watch Blu-ray from my laptop on the TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Using Laptop to watch Blu-ray from my laptop on the TV

I have an HP laptop with a Blue Ray in it. I watch videos from the laptop on our Toshiba DLP all the time using the HDMI output of the laptop, that works fine.\

When I try watching a Blue Ray though it works for about 10 seconds then I get the following:
"The content is corrected. The content is not allowed to play in the current display mode."

I toggled the laptop's display so only the TV is running but still no luck.

How do I know if my TV is HDCP compliant?

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 02:54 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Any HDMI input on an HDTV is HDCP compliant, however, many laptops limit certain signals on certain outputs. For example, I could watch a commercial DVD on my laptop on it's LCD screen, but was not allowed to do so on an external monitor... You may be encountering a similar issue.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 03:45 PM

That's how it's supposed to work. It's designed that way to prevent piracy.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I can't believe that.
What's the point of having an HDMI output then?

I'm not trying to pirate anything, this laptop came with a blue ray, I bought my first ever (concert) blue ray disk and I can't play it on my big screeen with the big sound?

There's gotta be a way...

(doesn't there?)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 05:53 PM

I googled your error message and the 3rd or 4th hit was this.

Quote:
1. With your computer off connect your HDMI cable from your computer to your HDTV or your HDMI capable receiver that is hooked up by another HDMI cable to your HDTV. Turn on your TV and/or your receiver.
2. Turn on your computer and when it has fully booted go to the start menu and open the windows Control Panel. Click “Additional Options” and then click open the NVIDA Control Panel. (note: your notebook desktop should be mirrored exactly on your TV when you start up your computer)
3. In the NVIDA control panel there is a “Select a Task” window on the far left hand side. Under the heading of “Display” click on the subheading of “Set up multiple displays”
4. Choose the DUAL Display option. Click apply. But do not close the window right away or open QuickPlay. You will soon get a pop up dialogue box that says you have 15 seconds to confirm your choice. Confirm the choice. Now, if you want, go ahead and close the NVIDA Control Panel and/or your windows Control Panel
5. Go to windows start menu and open QuickPlay
6. Physically, using a right click held down with the curser on the top band of the Quickplay program window (I clicked restore down in the upper right hand corner first, to make it easier) use your touch pad to move the QuickPlay off towards the right of your notebook screen onto the TV screen. (maximize the window once it is fully on your TV screen)
7. While you are in QuickPlay go to the info/more settings area if you have not updated to version 3.7 and click update and go through that process. I have a 5-23-08 build date and my system still came with 3.6 and if you go to HP software and driver downloads they are only offering 3.63.
8. Also, if you have not already done so, within QuickPlay click on the info/more settings and in the Audio Output section click/check mark “SPDIF” so that the software knows you want to send the sound through the HDMI connection. Unless of course you don’t want the sound to go through the HDMI connection.
9. Now, you use QuickPlay just like normal and watch your Blu-Ray disk.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 07:46 PM

Do you have to do that on every reboot of the PC? Or does most of the procedure stay set after the setup you show?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-22, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Jake, I saw that one 2, everytime I try installing 3.7 I get an error that it can't find a kernel file, I follow the path and sure nuff it's not there, so I skip it.
Still can't get it working, tried changing the ATI display similar to what you posted and I can't get it to work.

I went through that description, tried it again.
Basically what he's doing is sharing the display over my laptop and my TV, then stretching it to fill only the TV, in other words tricking it into thinking there's only one display, didn't work.

I think toggling to shut off the laptop screen is easier, that didn't work either though.

I'll look into the programs posted above...
........hmmmmm, seems that post was deleted for some reason?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-23, 09:23 AM

ok

"YOU CANNOT PLAY A BD MOVIE WHILE YOUR SYSTEM IS IN DUAL DISPLAY / CLONE / MULTI-DISPLAY MODE!!! HDCP WILL NOT ALLOW IT, HENCE THE MESSAGE.

The post above was close, but not completely on target about the setting changes.

The problem and message stems from the fact that HDCP prevents any system using multiple displays to play back BD content - most pirating operations use more than one display, so some genius figured to make it harder for them. Yeah, right....

To get your system to play, first make sure you've updated QuickPlay to the latest version - do it from within QuickPlay, not from the HP site. Start QP, then click on the Gear icon in the upper right corner, then select "Update".

If you're using an HDMI cable, you'll also need to set your Sound Options, was correct about that.

1. Open Sound Options from the Control Panel.
2. Click on the Digital Output Device icon, then click on the "default" button to switch the HDX output to the HDMI cable. Yours might say SPDIF or HDMI - it's the same regardless of the old label.

That will redirect your sound to the HDMI and your external display. BTW, the best driver for the HDX 9300 IDT is 6.10.5607.0 - all others seem to either have problems or lower the quality.

Make sure your external display is set to detect incoming HDMI signals or you won't get any display on the channel you've selected to send to.

In the NVIDIA Control Panel:

1. On the Display option, under Multiple Displays, switch your Display Mode to "Use only one display".
2. On the "Select Display you want to Use", select your external display.
3. On the "Select Display you want Windows to use as Primary", select your external display, NOT "Laptop Display".

The Video and Television Color settings will affect the outgoing video signal.

Once your desktop is switched to the external display, start QuickPlay and run your BD - you shouldn't have any problem.

"
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-23, 10:03 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherguy View Post
I have an HP laptop with a Blue Ray in it. I watch videos from the laptop on our Toshiba DLP all the time using the HDMI output of the laptop, that works fine.\

When I try watching a Blue Ray though it works for about 10 seconds then I get the following:
"The content is corrected. The content is not allowed to play in the current display mode."
Is it just me, or are the two statements above, from the first post, contradictory?

First you say that it works fine, then you say that it does not work.

I have an ASUS laptop with HDMI out, and I have used it a lot. I use PowerDVD, V7 and V9 (V7 for HD-DVD). The HDMI cable puts a signal to a TV, and I tell it to stretch the desktop across the two displays. I then move the PowerDVD window to the TV, and make it go full screen on the TV.

The only problem I have run into is that the HDMI connector on the laptop seems a bit loose, and somethings the audio does not make a connection. Video plays, but silently. Jiggling the cable at the laptop end fixes it.

One thing I do notice is that when the movie plays, it puts that side of the video output into a different mode. I am not sure this would work if I the second monitor (TV) was a clone of the desktop, since the desktop may not support the video mode.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-23, 10:15 AM

I think the OP was referring to DVDs. DVD playback over HDMI works but BR playback does not.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-23, 11:04 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I think the OP was referring to DVDs. DVD playback over HDMI works but BR playback does not.
That makes sense, on rereading the OP.

If someone can help, great. If not, I would suggest more details would help. As stated earlier, the hardware should be HDCP compliant if it has an HDMI port, so perhaps details on the software in use would help us understand what is happening.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-23, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Timlocke, I don't understand what you're asking.

True Canuck, you're saying basically the same as above.
I thought the same thing, the problem was the signal was going to 2 displays, what the guy above is doing is combining the 2 displays to be one big one and dragging QP to the right display (the HDTV) and dragging the corner to fill the screen.
I tried that, it didn't work.

I also tried toggling the displays so ONLY the TV is active, that didn't work either.
My sound is already congigured for the HDMI cable, no problem there.

RFielder, nothing contradicorty at all.
I said I can watch videos from my laptop on my TV, works fine. I'm talking video files of movies, no problem, everything works great through the HDMI cable.

"When I try watching a Blue Ray though it works for about 10 seconds then I get the following:

In other words I cannot play a BR the same way.

It's an HP Latop running Vista 64 bit, using QuickPlay 3.7 to play it. Like I said earlier, I got an error during the 3.7 install, something to do with a missing Kernel file.

When you explain what you do to get yours working are you playing a BR disk or regular DVD?
MAybe I'll try Power DVD, I don't think I have that one (I'm at work, will check when I get home.

Thanks for the help guys
Will
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-23, 04:40 PM

See if the free trial version of AnyDVD HD works. I'd be curious to know.
http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

Bill
My blog
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 10:02 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherguy View Post
When you explain what you do to get yours working are you playing a BR disk or regular DVD?
MAybe I'll try Power DVD, I don't think I have that one (I'm at work, will check when I get home.
I run AnyDVD HD, and PowerDVD. That seems to be all that is needed.

If playing from an original BD disc, you don't need AnyDVD HD unless there are compliance issues with your hardware, as far as I know.

I tend to rip movies (DVD, BD, HD-DVD) and watch from the .iso file.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
AnyDVD HD solved my problem, watched it last night!

So I'm good to go for 21 days anyhow (it's constant nags to buy are a PITA, will be looking for alternatives) ...

BTW, I posted this same question on a computer forum and ithe thread was locked up cuz they said I was trying to break the copyright rules or something. I wasn't trying to copy it, just wanted to watch it on the big screen with full sound. I PM'd the moderator, he didn't believe me. It's one of those "by the books" kinda forums, no grey areas at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in