Using Laptop to watch Blu-ray from my laptop on the TV - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 02:01 PM
Member #1

fisherguy,

The truth is we are a "by the books forum" too and if we thought you were doing something illegal, we'd shut you down!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Okay, well then I guess you're not as strict as the other forum.

Really though, I'm just trying to watch it on the big screen...
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-09-24, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I guess you're not as strict as the other forum
I like to think we know our stuff and apply the rules fairly.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-10-11, 01:11 AM

You definitely have an HDCP issue. Not sure which side it's on. The internal display isn't required to be protected so you should be able to watch protect content on it. The HDMI output and receiver (the TV) both need to be HDCP compliant for you to be able to play protected content on it. I would make sure that both the laptop and TV properly support HDCP.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-10-11, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

It's not an HDCP issue at all, it's the BR copyright thing, we've already figured that out.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-10-12, 02:54 AM

If you can't play protected content via HDMI then it's most likely an HDCP issue. The fact that anything other than protected content plays fine is a key indicator. If installing AnyDVD works all it means is that it's removing the protection. And again another indicator that it's an HDCP thing. The only way the copyright is enforced is through HDCP during playback.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-10-12, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

If it works using AnyDVD to remove the copyright protection that tells me the copyright protection is the only thing preventing me from watching it!
Why are you arguing about this?

Mods, can we lock this thread?
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-10-12, 09:47 AM

fisherguy, HDCP is High Definition Content Protection. You have bypassed HDCP hence why it appears to work. If HDCP wasn't the issue then ANYDVD shouldn't help.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-10-12, 01:38 PM

Not trying to argue only trying to educate. I know a thing or two about the stuff you are trying to do. You are free to believe what you will.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-10-12, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Have I not also bypassed the copyright protection using AnyDVD? Isn't that really what AnyDVD is meant for?

Whatever the case, it works, I'm happy with it...
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-10-12, 02:57 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Yes, but the issue you had was displaying (even from the original), not copying, it was HDCP, which covers both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-10-12, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Earlier in this thread someone said if the laptop has an HDMI output and the TV has an HDMI input there should not be an HDCP issue.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-10-12, 03:25 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
That's not what I said. I said that HDMI ports on TVs are HDCP compliant. That means that they respect HDCP, which is exactly what was done - HDCP prevented you from seeing a signal that you were not supposed to see from a Laptop programmed to not allow certain HDMI signals to an external monitor. By using AnyDVD you've erased HDCP allowing you to see that signal now.

You may not agree with the Laptop's instructions, but the HDMI ports and HDCP behaved exactly as they should, as mentioned in post 2 and 3 of this thread. Several people then supplied you with various "workarounds".

There could also be a problem with the Laptop/firmware/software. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 2009-10-12, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherguy View Post
Earlier in this thread someone said if the laptop has an HDMI output and the TV has an HDMI input there should not be an HDCP issue.
This is not necessarily true. That is the problem. If you post the exact laptop model and the graphics it uses and TV model (is it the one in your sig?) I might be able to help you.

If the laptop and TV both support HDCP, then you should be able to play protected content without a problem and view it on your TV. If the laptop has a BR drive you would *think* it supports HDCP but I've seen stranger things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in