16:9 Internet computer Screen - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Cool 16:9 Internet computer Screen

Just curious!
Why is it that most web sites are not using the full 16:9 display.
Most are centered, a few are on the left....
Up to now, I have only seen Weather Underground with a BEAUTIFUL 16:9 display!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 02:31 PM

because many monitors are still 4:3 with many others at 16:10 . its just easier to code for the worse case. if it fits in 16:9 then the person with the 4:3 display wont see it proporly

it also has to do with resolution. most sites are coded for 1280x1024 or smaller.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Cool

redzone
If it fits in 16:9 then the person with the 4:2 display wont see it properly`.

The Weather Underground site seem to detect what type of screen the user has.
I have seen the same Weather Underground web site on a 4:3 scrren, and it is adapted to that screen...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 04:09 PM

right. thats prob a heck of alot more code then the avg web developer cares to use. lol
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 04:09 PM
Veteran

Most sites are hard coded to a certain width, as opposed to scaling amounts (e.g. width=768 vs width=100%)
By using percents, you can get a full scale for everyone.
But lots of sites are customized or haven't used that option so you get a lot of 'blank space' sites.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

I noticed that the current DHC site is using the full width of the screen for the Digital Forums.
Perhaps Hugh will tell us when, or if, he intends to modify the whole site.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 05:51 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I don't know about you, but when I'm reading, I hate columns that are too wide - it's unnatural and makes fast reading almost impossible.

It may be different for different applications (like watching a video), but for word processing, forums, most internet browsing, etc, I don't want wide. If I had a 16:9 screen, I'd probably rotate it 90 degrees for most of what I do, unless it were a huge screen, where I would put 2 windows side by side. Even on my 19" 4:3 screen, my browser is set at about 1:1. The only application I use regularly where I want wide is spreadsheets and even there, some of my spreadsheets are vertical.

I suppose if the website had several columns, that would be OK because that would achieve the same thing - an easy to read format with a vertical orientation (think newspaper or magazine)

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 06:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerduvernay View Post
I noticed that the current DHC site is using the full width of the screen for the Digital Forums.
I have no problems with forum layouts which adjust the content to fit the screen. If it's too wide, then people are free to adjust the width of their browser window
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 06:19 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The "problem" is that the first post of a thread is narrower than the rest for reading when there is an ad. Also, the list of threads is narrower than the posts themselves. For example, click on "new posts", then read the posts in a thread.

The advantage, as you say, is that you can make most of what you see the width you want.

I really like the clean look of this forum though, so I'm not bitching, just commenting.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 08:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerduvernay View Post
These forums are community-made forums, so they're updated more easily and often (vBulletin is used for tons of other forums on the net, phpBB is the other big forum software used)
Whereas the main page is more of a custom site, less likely to be updated at all (just new content added within the existing framework).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in