Wireless router buying suggestion needed - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 09:03 AM
Rookie

Awesome! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 09:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Most of the high end routers are not worth the price (IMO) and they all perform pretty much the same so I'd go with whatever special/sale you can find.
Actually, there's a whole "high end" that most consumers don't see. The devices in this end include features such as multiple SSID, VLAN support, PoE, roaming etc. However, you're not likely to see these in the local store and most of those features are of benefit to large installations.
post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-08-06, 04:44 PM

D-link DIR 625 or 655

I have read many posts in support of the DIR-655 N router. I am looking for an easy and inexpensive wireless option for my old Toshiba laptop, becuase the new office will be in the basement but I will want to use the computer upstairs sometimes. What are the benefits of the more expensive 655 over the 625? The 655 and the Extreme N USB adapter will run an extra $40. Video streaming and gaming are not an issue, it is just for internet basically.

I will need the USB port to connect an external drive, and both models have this feature. Does this Shareport feature work well?

Thanks.

post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-08-06, 04:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
What are the benefits of the more expensive 655 over the 625? The 655 and the Extreme N USB adapter will run an extra $40. Video streaming and gaming are not an issue, it is just for internet basically.
N will get you nothing. Your connection speed will depend entirely on your internet connection. For some, even 802.11b is good enough. 802.11g is plenty for any internet connection anyone has at home. Remember, you cannot do better than what comes into your home, no matter what WiFi you have.
post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-08-06, 05:14 PM

I run a WRT350N with dd-wrt, runs pretty good. My iperf tests show 90Mbit between a wired host and my laptop. However, if you're just streaming from internet, N will get you nothing as others have mentioned. It will help if you're streaming media from other machines on your network however, especially HD video.
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-08-06, 05:28 PM

Does N not provide better range and signal, especially if the router is in the basement? I will be transferring photos to and from the hard drive attached to the router, but from what you are saying this is small potatoes for a G router. I gather for my modest needs the 655 will be overkill.

Even if I go with N simply to future-proof for little extra cost over G, I will still need the USB port model. BTW, I have looked at the comparable Linksys models and they do not seem to have the USB port.
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-08-06, 05:43 PM

Arguable, the marketing says it does, but in practice the range of N is probably similar or possibly less than G. Wireless is very environment dependent, ie. what other 2.4Ghz devices are nearby like phones, neighbor's wireless networks, concrete walls, etc. Your best bet is to buy a unit from a big box store and try it out. If it doesn't work out return it.
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-08-07, 10:30 PM

I went into FS today to look again at the models available. The salesman told me I might have signal problems trying to run the USB adapter in the laptop through the USB 2.0 PCI card (as I mentioned, it is a 7 yr old Toshiba laptop - archaic but still chugging along). Is this the case? If so, I am back to waiting to replace my system. What I was trying to do was a band-aid solution which would still allow us to use the laptop upstairs for internet access after getting a new main computer.
post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-08-07, 10:42 PM
Veteran

Why would use have signal problems, when you use a PCMCIA (not PCI card on laptops). One thing you can be sure of is store clerks are not allowed to know what they're talking about.
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-08-07, 11:01 PM
Veteran

My only thought would be if he's thinking the slot is USB 1.x and USB 2.0 would be required for most network adapters, I would think.
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-08-08, 12:01 AM
Veteran

He said the computer was 7 years old, so it would likely have a USB 1.1 port and I assumed he meant a PCMCIA USB 2 adapter, which I also use on my 7 year old ThinkPad. While I haven't used that adapter for WiFi (which is built in to my computer) I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Of course there's the question of why he isn't going for a PCMCIA WiFi card. That way, he wouldn't have to worry about USB.
post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-08-08, 12:07 PM

I only have the one card slot which is used for the USB 2.0 adapter, so I must use the USB adapter for the wireless (unless I am missing something). Of course, if I use the slot for a wireless card, I lose USB 2 speed for picture downloads etc. The salesman was implying there would be some type of bottleneck at the motherboard (total BS?)
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-08-08, 01:36 PM
Veteran

Yes, that is total BS.
It depends on your slot type, but type I is ~20MB/s I believe and type II are ~128MB/s, both more than sufficient for your internet needs.

(I think.. it's been years since I've known anyone that uses them )
post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 12:27 PM

Well, after looking at the options I am choosing another route after all. The house we just moved into has Cat-5e ethernet lines running from 2 of the upstairs bedrooms to where we are putting the office. The laptop has an ethernet card, so I will run another ethernet cable from the family room before they drywall the basement and go wired for now. I will get the DIR-655 to connect to the modem in the basement office and link to all the ethernet ports we will use. Then when we upgrade the laptop we will have both wired and wireless options.

Thanks for the input. I always ask here before taking the word of a salesman anyway
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 2009-09-07, 08:29 PM

Wireless N ? Dir 655 Solution

Try this, the D-link link: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?board=129.0 ,read the sticky topic: 300Mbps Connection Requirement. It doesn't have to be Dlink Wireless card, my Laptops connects at 300mbps with no drop. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in