Need help for a future web site - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-20, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Need help for a future web site

I am in charge of our motorcycle club web page. We've been riding the freebee Angelfire eversince. Now with the diminutive amount of web storage that they offer, it's finally time to go on our own and get a domain and someplace to host our website.

Question is this: Where can we get a fairly cheap host (prefereably canadian) as well as domain name which would be very reasonable? We are non-profit organisation and our main goal is helping the child life unit in Fredericton. Each year, our membership fees are sent to the ward to help buy games, movies and toys for kids during their stay at the hospital.

That point is important to me: by keeping the cost of a web site down, more money can be given to the ward. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Danster

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-20, 04:08 PM
Premium Supporter

For several years now, I've used 10Dollar.ca as a domain name registrar and BlueFur.com (Mini Unix pkg.) for my web hosting. I've been quite satisfied with both providers.

See also the following threads: 1 | 2
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-20, 04:35 PM

Smile have a look also

I have had good results with ipower over the year plus now.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-20, 06:19 PM
Veteran

My domains are with namespro (CAN), hosted with cirtexhosting (US)
They often have coupon codes available (for many sites) so be sure to google around before purchasing anything.
E.g. I got my first year with cirtex at half price.
And namespro occasionally has $1 off a year or other promos going on.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-21, 12:28 PM
Veteran

I went with GoDaddy. Multiple domain registrations (including .ca domains), cheap hosting rates, auto installation of useful applications such as Wordpress (which I use for my own site)...

Their user interface can be a bit of a bitch to navigate at times, but you do manage to find the setting you need to adjust.

The domain registration is $12.99 US/year for .ca domains (there might be a Canadian surcharge though -- can't remember) and $9.99 US/year for .com domains. My hosting package is $6.99 US a month, and you can run multiple Web sites on the same hosting package. I already have three Web sites with them linked to five separate domain names, with an extra two Canadian domain names registered with a Canadian registrar. I'll be transferring those to GoDaddy as well in order to streamline the management process.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-21, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

WOW! Lots of info to go through. I'll check them all and will report back as to which one I'll choose. Thanks guys!

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-22, 03:49 PM

You should also consider how your web site will be built. For example, if you want a site that has a Content Management solution instead of building flat HTML pages, you might want to consider a do-it-all host that will set that up for you.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-22, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Well the main reason to get our own web is to prevent any advertisement like angelfire. Right now on there we have access to 20 megs but each ad they run, gets added to this space. So if I have 10 megs of files on there, 10 days later, they have added 10 megs of their own ads and our website is then over the limit. I then have to go in and delete one by one each htm that was created by angelfire since their frontpage access doesn't always work. Big pain.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-22, 07:03 PM

I second Godaddy. Been with them two years now, and never had a problem.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-22, 07:05 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
... if you want a site that has a Content Management solution instead of building flat HTML pages, you might want to consider a do-it-all host that will set that up for you.
Most, if not all, web-hosting services include free additional apps - which are fairly easy to set up - for content management, blogs, discussion boards, image galleries, etc.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-22, 08:16 PM
Veteran

If you're not using a lot of space, google offers 100mb free and no ads (at least not on the pages I've used...)
AFAIK, it's unlimited bandwidth - I've never had a msg or anything re: exceeding the amount.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-22, 08:24 PM

I took over my hiking club's site that's hosted at startlogic.com. $4 - $6 per month. Seems to be ok. I have no idea where they're based but their legal location is Massachuesetts. Some clubs just set up on Facebook or Myspace which are free.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 03:11 AM

Hostignition.com is Canadian. $20US for a year and lots of bandwidth and capacity. Baremetal is a Victoria BC registrara. Reasonable with email forwarding if desired.
I have a few non-profits and use them. I am also non-profit!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 10:18 AM

Hi Danster,

For hosting give hostgator a look, I have been using them for years. They aren't in Canada, but most webservers are located in the US anyways.
Also, I second a cms, like Drupal. You may need some help setting it up, but after anyone can edit and add pages.

Good luck!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

So much to choose from! I guess you guys are making this easy (or harder depending how you look at it..) for me to pick out the right one. I guess I have my work cut out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in