My D-Link DR-655 keeps dropping the wireless! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-20, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

My D-Link DR-655 keeps dropping the wireless!

Hi All,

For some reason my D-Link DR-655 keeps dropping my wireless signal. It will happen 5-6 times a day at random times, and it will drop for 15-20 seconds and then re-establish connection.

My laptop is 3 feet away from it, and it drops, as does my wifes laptop (which has an N card) downstairs.

My wireless phones are 5 Ghz, so that's not it...

Can anybody suggest a setting I can play with for stability?

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-21, 05:39 AM

I don't have a direct solution for your issue, but I was able to solve my issues (different than yours) with a recently purchased DIR-655 by upgrading the factory-installed firmware 1.21 to the 1.22beta05 firmware from the D-Link site. Have you considered tried the firmware? Make sure you export your settings using the backup tool, then after the f/w upgrade, make sure you restore your settings, then reboot the router again (after restoring your settings).
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-21, 01:08 PM

Actually, 802.11n uses 5.0GHz and 2.4GHz. I'm not saying that it is neccesarily the cause of your problem, but can't be entirely dismissed.

Do you know if the router is rebooting when it drops the connection? I had an older Dlink that used to reboot itself periodically, although the 655 that I have now has never had that problem. Is your router somewhere warm that it could be overheating or something?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-21, 01:15 PM
Member #1

Most folks around here have had good experiences with the 655. I would try BrownBullHead's idea first (update firmware). I would also enable the router logs to see if they record anything that might indicate the problem.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-21, 06:41 PM

I have had similar dropouts with 655 as well. Additionally I had set the router to '802.11g only' but noticed that my 2 laptops would only show a connection speed of 5 to 11 mbps even when the laptops were 3-4 feet from the router.

My guess is the 'Enable Auto Channel Scan' option does not necessarily pick the channel with the least interference. You can try disabling that option and selecting different channels and see if that resolves the problem. It appears to have resolved my dropouts and now I constantly get 48 to 54 mbps connections.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-23, 01:32 AM

All wireless adapters need to be set up to match the Wireless settings of the Router they're going to connect to. Especially Intel Adapters.

1. Access your Router Admin Panel, then note the Wireless Mode, Standard/Wide Channel, and other settings.

2. Assuming you're using a Vista machine: go to Control Panel, Network/Sharing, Manage Wireless Networks.

3. Click on Adapter Properties.
4. Select the Advanced tab, then check and modify the settings to match your Router:

Check and adjust the following settings:
(those I've not listed are user's option based on Router settings)

802.11n Channel Width - Set to match your Router's Standard Channel.
802.11n Mode - Set to "Enabled" if your Router's Wireless Mode is set to N only or Mixed. Disabled if set to Wireless G or anything else.
Ad Hoc Channel 802.11 b/g - 11
AH Power Management - User choice (Mine is Disabled to prevent the system from shutting it down)
AH Quality of Service (QoS) - WMM Enabled if using QoS setup on Router. Disabled if not.
Roaming Aggressiveness - Highest
Throughput Enhancement - Enabled
Transmit Power - Highest
Wireless Mode - Either 3, 4, 5, or 6 if N mode isn't enabled.
When enabled, it doesn't matter. If Router is set to Mixed, then
choose B/G, B/G/N, etc. If set to Wireless G, the set to G.

Click Apply, then Okay. Restart your system and do a POR on your Router. Remember to keep it unplugged for at least 30 seconds before plugging it back in.

Go to Network and Sharing, then remove any existing profiles. Setup new ones, scan for your SSID and connect to the Router. On the Network and Sharing window, click on Status to the right of the Connection label, then verify that your signal strength & network speed is consistent with the setup.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-26, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

It's actually kind of interesting...

One Laptop that is dropping connection is a Lenovo with a G card and Windows XP. The other is a Dell with Vista and Wireless N. Both drop.

I made an adjustment to the Auto Channel Scan and that appears to have made a difference, though it still happens on occasion.

I may try the beta firmware, but that scares me a little.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

-Mike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-26, 12:20 PM

About once every year, I seem to have to reset the my DIR-655 REV A1, have you tried that before using a beta firmware ? I'm using 1.21 for a while now and all eight wireless devices don't seem to be dropping at all.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-05-01, 01:03 AM

Firmware 1.31 has been released as of April 28. Wirless B (802.11b) has been restored (was removed by a previous firmware update).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in