Powerline Networking and Switches - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 08:45 PM
Veteran

That depends if the 85 Mbps units actually deliver the full rated speed. RF networking units often advertise the theoretical maximum speed under ideal conditions. Actual speeds can be much lower.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 08:51 PM

So, does it mean if I get the 200 Mbps unit, I'll for sure get 100 Mps which is the limit of ethernet on my router? If so, it makes sense to pay the price?

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 09:05 PM
Veteran

I have heard several people mention that the new D-Link DHP-303 units run a lot cooler than the DHP-301s did - and they seem to offer higher speed than most kits from reviews I've read as well.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 09:21 PM
Veteran

e268, you've got a false assumption there...

Those Powerline speeds are maximum rates (i.e. "up to 200 Mbps"), not guaranteed rates...and it's a theoretical maximum (as in, that's the most they'll do, given optimum environment and circumstances). Neither maximum speed (200Mbps nor 85Mbps) would really be seen.

Myself, I'd go with the 200Mbps. Actually, that's what I've done--the Belkin Powerline AV Starter Kit--and they work great. Powerline setup is generally quite simple, but the Belkin setup was dead simple (nothing to setup on the PC; just plug 'em in, and then press the buttons to reset the encryption).

Another nice feature of the Belkins is that you aren't forced to have the whole unit hanging from the wall plug. Included in the box is two backplates per adaptor:
- backplate to plug straight into the wall socket
- backplate to an extension cord that plugs into the wall

Returning to the topic at hand (speed), here's the blurb on the box about operating range ("Up to300m in wall powerlines") and speed ("Up to 200Mbps"):
Quote:
NOTE: The standard transmission rate--200Mbps--is the ideal physical data rate. Actual data throughput and distance will be lower, depending on interference, network traffic, building materials, and other condictions.
Your 100Mbps router likely won't be limiting the speed of Powerline AV communication to a significant degree, if at all. In addition, 85Mbps wouldn't be seen from 85Mbps units. Combine the two, and the difference in speed should be higher than the 15Mbps apparent at a cursory glance.

I can't guarantee what speed you would get, nor can I say whether the speed difference is worth it to you. Just trying to get the parameters of the question off the maximum numbers since those aren't really seen.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. Hope that helps.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the explanation.
I guess I have to go and get one to try out what speed I can get.

Yammy RXV2400 & CDC815, Celestion DL8 fr Mission 73Ci ctr Sansui rear Velodyne CHT8, Vaio TT180, [email protected]
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-13, 11:31 AM
Veteran

Been looking at HomePlug stuff too but will probably end up fishing a wire. If I go HomePlug, it'll be Linksys as they seem to be the only one with a built-in 4 port switch which is a great idea. Otherwise, I'd have to add a separate switch with more cables and another power adapter.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 10:44 AM

Other than reliability issues, I had problem in using the Powerline Network Adapter to stream media files from a NAS to a Xbox. In most of the time, the setup works fine. However, if someone in the house operates a motor appliance such as vacuum or hair dryer in the same branch circuit of the adapter, the network connection will be interrupted and the playback of the media will stop. I have to re-start the playback of the media. It would not be an issue for internet surfing as the network will be re-established itself. But that was two years ago, I am not sure if newer models have minimized the interruption from motor appliances.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in