Running ethernet cable outside? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-03-28, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Running ethernet cable outside?

Hi everyone,

just had a question I am looking to get some help on;

Can I run ethernet cable (cat5/6) outside underground?

I have tried researching on this and have found different views; both that its okay and also that it is not, because it can be an electrical hazard.

I would run the cable outside and underground in conduit about 50 feet.

So any and all help I can get will be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-03-28, 01:49 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Its done all the time in corporate environments, although fibre is now the way to go.

For home users, the key is using conduit, as you've said you will. That's because the ground shifts over time and even a person walking over buried wire might have an effect. The conduit has to be completely water-tight, and there must be no ethernet cable joints, couplers, or other connections within the conduit. Both ends of the conduit must be above ground (hopefully a foot or two).

You can even purchase a shielded ($$$) run of Cat5e or Cat6, not necessarily for any EMF effects but just for more solidity to the cable.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-03-28, 02:10 PM
Member #1

You might consider running two sets of ethernet cable to be extra cautious. At the very least run some string so if you need to draw a cable through in the future, you can.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-03-29, 12:29 PM
Veteran

You would need to run what is called "flooded" cable.

For all intents and purposes, buried conduit is considered wet.

For 50 ft, I'd do wireless, or HPNA over a twisted pair cable designed to go under ground (which the cable is rather cheap).

The issue of safety comes woth the power to the outbuilding, in the electrical code requires it to have a separate neutral and ground if you are running other metallic path to the building.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-03-29, 02:18 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

PEX plumbing pipe is also a cheap and readily available conduit solution, and its water-tight.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-03-29, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
PEX plumbing pipe is also a cheap and readily available conduit solution, and its water-tight.
The pipe being water tight isn't the issue. Water still gains entry via condensation and open ends. This is why you still need to use direct burial / flooded cable even inside a conduit.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-03-30, 02:06 AM
Veteran

There is no shock hazard as long as there are no high voltage (240/120v) electrical cables in the conduit. Use cable rated for wet locations. It's basically the same as regular CAT5/6 cable with better insulation. Even the regular RG5/6 should be Ok but will not last as long in damp or wet conduit.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-03-30, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

what i want to do is run cat6 and rg6 in the same underground pvc conduit - and ideally using direct burial cat6 - any possible problems with this?

thanks
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-03-30, 11:14 PM

No as long as you are also using direct burial rg6.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-03-31, 10:11 PM

Water will get into the buried conduit no matter what you do.

If it were me running the ethernet, I would install a 2" communication conduit (not plumbing conduit as the 90 degree bends are too tight). The 2" conduit will give you room for future considerations and lots of room to pull the ethernet. The cost of the larger conduit is minimal considering all the work you're going to do to install the conduit.

In the conduit I would install grease filled cat5 cable which will last a long time. The grease filled can be direct buried, but I would still recommend a conduit.

Hope that helps
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-04-04, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks everyone for all your help.

it seems that i have a lot to think about - and do some more reading/research there seems to be many different options as you all have suggested.

thanks again to everyone - your help is appreciated.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-07-17, 08:21 PM
Rookie

Hi
Does anyone know the answer to this?
Is 56 coax the same as cat5 ethernet cable.
I have been from two trusted sources to use these to run from an existing building to a new building.
Thank you
Barry
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-07-17, 10:08 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Coax and twisted pair (Ethernet) are two completely different kinds of cable. Coaxial cable has a centre conductor and a shield. Ethernet uses twisted pairs, usually without shield, but you can get some that have either overall shield or individual pair shields. You can run Ethernet up to 100 metres.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-07-17, 11:21 PM

I get a pretty decent wireless N router if I were you. It cheaper and instead of one connection going to one place you got a network that can be use anywhere in range. You connect the wireless N Router to a directional antenna put some strong security and you are set. But if you really have to lay down some pipe for something else anyway leave yourself a messenger wire so that you could put some Fiber when the price of it get dirt cheap. And for god sake always call the GAS company before digging.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 2011-07-17, 11:33 PM
Rookie

Internet

Thanks James.
So if I want to run an underground internet/ connection from the cable box to another building 120 ft away ethernet cable would be OK? and if I wanted to also have tv what kind of coax should I use? and would the coax carry both signals.Thanks
Barry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in