Lenovo laptop won't turn on - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-04-09, 09:54 PM
Veteran

It's obvious what happened. Lenovo inserted a packet of nanobots that healed the laptop!

My experience with Lenovo laptops not booting that ends up being non hardware is:

A: Unplug it, take out and battery and give it some time to think about what's it's done. It usually reacts well to a good scolding.

B: Go into the bios and reset all defaults. Not sure why but every so often I come across one that won't post and when I reset the bios to defaults and off the the races again.

Regardless of brand anytime you come across a dead motherboard in a out of warranty situation your looking at trashing it unless you can find another busted one for parts or something. It's not unique to Lenovo. Compaq wanted $800 for a motherboard once for a PC that died on me at 13 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-04-09, 10:17 PM

Toshiba and Acer System board for most Models are Under $300 and some Under $200, and Typically IBM parts are over $1000 and usally alot more like 2 or 3 Thousand.
from My experience being in the IT Field the last 9 Years.

6412 Shaw PVR Phase 3, 50" samsung Dlp tv,
Oppo 970Hd Dvd Player,Onkyo SR605 Receiver, JBL 5.1 Speakers,40GB PS3
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-10-06, 01:12 PM
Wax
Rookie

Lenovo laptop won't turn on

Hi BadLag, I saw your posting about a Lenovo not turning on and you thought it may be the ac to dc converter. I bought a Lenovo 3000/n100 laptop 2 years ago type 0768-14u. It will not turn on, no lights at all. The power supply tested good, 20vDC measured on the mother board. IBM said it is the motherboard I am not happy, this thing has never left the desk it is on. Can you let me know if it repairable ?

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-10-06, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I had the same problem. Try unplugging the pc and take out the battery and leave it over night. Then put in the battery and hook up the a/c and try turning it on.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 2009-10-14, 03:30 PM

WAX...On that model that part is not replaceable as it is part of the systemboard.....if you knew someone else with the same model you could put that battery in it as a test to confirm the systemboard is bad.....I have no access to pricing as I work for IBM Canada and never see prices, just order replacement parts to fix the machines I am working on.

I would guess the systemboard is about 300 bucks and 1.5 hrs labour to replace it.

Sony 46XBR3, STR-DE898, PS3 60GB, JBL fronts, Bose rears, Polk sub/center, HK-DVD22, BellTVHD, Harmony1

Last edited by BadLag; 2009-10-14 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added user name

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in