3.5" Drive Enclosure recommendations? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-14, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

3.5" Drive Enclosure recommendations?

Looking for a inexpensive HDD enclosure (3.5"). I already have a Vantec enclosure for an old IDE drive, and it works well and seems well made. I just can't seem to justify to myself to pay $50 + for a new SATA Vantec enclosure when I only paid $105 for a 1TB drive... Any other brands that any of you have used that work well, reliable and that you would recommend? If it's possible, looking for something sub-$30.

Thx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-14, 02:20 PM
Veteran

I wouldnt buy an enclosure that's over 20-25.. there's only so much a small PCB and some wires should cost

since you like the vantec name, this one's only $25:
Vantec NexStar CX NST-300S2-BK 3.5" SATA TO USB2.0 External HDD Enclosure

The only enclosure i own is a 2.5" nspire aluminum one (older, IDE)
It was like $16 at the time, a great deal.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-14, 05:47 PM

I really like the Adaptec ACS-100 Aluminum 3.5 drive enclosures, but unfortunately they only support E-IDE/ATA 3.5" drives....

They only cost me $20 each....

Adaptec also made the ACS-300 for SATA drives, but I think it's been discontinued. If you can pick up one of those on sale, I would get it....

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-16, 12:06 PM

Infonec sells a bare IDE to USB adapter complete with a brick power supply for around 15 bucks. The kit actually has 2 adapters, one for 3.5" IDE desktop drives and another for 2.5" notebook drives. The nice thing with this is that there is no enclosure/housing to fiddle with.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-20, 01:37 PM

Thermaltake N0028USU

I don't know if you plan to have more HDD later on, but if you think it might be a possibility then have a look at the Thermaltake N0028USU HDD dock.

You just dock the HDD either 3.5" or 2.5" SATA and connect via USB to you computer. I got tired of buying enclosures for my hard drives and find this to be a great solution since I just swap the drives on the fly (I have over 10 drives lying around).

*** has this on sale now for ***. I know this is a bit more than what you wanted to spend but it could work out for you in the long run. And I have used it with a 1.5TB HDD with no problem.

Last edited by sleemo; 2009-02-20 at 02:44 PM. Reason: store pricing removed
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-20, 03:30 PM
Veteran

Vantec has a USB only CX enclosure that runs about $25-$30. If you want extra interfaces, such as eSATA or NAS, that will almost always cost more. I picked up the Nexstar for $35 but that was on sale. They are a very well built enclosure and more reliable that the cheap generic brands.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-23, 11:16 PM
Veteran

I picked up one of those USB/IDE adapters mentioned and it works great. If your intention is not to leave this thing connected but is simply for utility of being able to connect a HDD at will the adapter is wonderful. I used it to recover the data off our 2.5 IDE drive out of the laptop
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-24, 05:13 PM

Thermaltake Vion 3.5" is my choice. Mainly because of a fan. Having read a few forums regarding HD enclosures heat seems to be an issue.... earlier HD retirement. The Vion has a fan and eSata/usb connection to the computer. I didn't like (personal) the open concept (dock) because exposure of the HD.
I have a 500gb WD Caviar Black inside with no issues to date. The enclosure and drive are on the floor to capture as much cool air as possible.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-24, 05:40 PM
Veteran

I find that energy saving drives, such as the WD Green series, eliminate heat issues with external drives. Some Hitachi drives are also very energy efficient but do not perform as well as the WD Green. The WD Black is not too bad for energy consumption either. The worst drives I have seen for heat issues are Maxtor, either in a PC or an external case. Despite claims of energy efficiency, Seagate drives also tend to run hot in an external case.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-24, 05:47 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, SA8300HD + 640GB external drive. Samsung LCD LN40A750 1080p 120Hz. Blu-Ray BD-P1500
I have several enclosures, both 2.5" and 3.5", some of which I've been using for many years. None of them has a fan. If the enclosure is well designed and it's a good drive, no fan is needed.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-25, 12:56 PM

I'm sure there are many olde/newer hds that are fine in their enclosures. With the introduction of bigger drives, does heat increase? I agree that manufacturers have started to make drives more energy efficient resulting in less heat/more efficiency. Enclosures are also being designed for better heat dissipation.
Given the choice, I tend to err on the side of caution, that's why I bought an enclosure with a fan. My car has a trans cooler even tho I don't tow a trailer.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-25, 02:16 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, SA8300HD + 640GB external drive. Samsung LCD LN40A750 1080p 120Hz. Blu-Ray BD-P1500
The vast majority of enclosures now are fanless. If this were a problem with large drives, we'd hear of widespread failures. Clearly a well-designed enclosure can work reliably with large drives without a fan.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-25, 04:30 PM

I do agree...to a point Alan Toronto.
There are however too many examples of recent that would dispute the fact of "well designed". How many years did it take for markets to crash? HD enclosures mainstream in the last 2-3 years for the consumer?
Being an ex-farm boy the closer we could keep machinery operating at optimum the less extra maintenance we'd have to do. The closer I can keep a HD to room temp. the better I'll feel . I've a (9.5yr)P3, 512 ram, 80gb(2nd)HD that's running XP. I've always tried to keep the computer as cool as possible.
I'm glad of the fan option, otherwise I'd buy the dock so my HD can breathe.
I'm also glad there is more than one choice available for all of us!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-25, 04:45 PM

Drives are designed to operate safely well above room temperature. So, while room temperature may be your goal, it's entirely unnecessary.

One of my enclosures is over 5 years old, one is 3 or 4 years old, a couple are over a year old. All get heavy use, some of them 24/7. All are fanless and have operated flawlessly. Fans aren't necessary if the enclosure is well designed, as millions of users can attest.

The fact that Seagate has recently had a string of drive failures is not the fault of the enclosures, and there have been Seagate failures even in enclosures with fans.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2009-02-26, 11:47 PM

Here's one of many links regarding HD cooling; www.heatsink-guide.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in