Frustrations with ROGERS Atlantic - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-02, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Yes, a very tiny group of people using Cox Cable, in the northwest of the U.S. use the MS S/W, and seem to have no major issues. (To be fair, there will always be minor issues, no matter what S/W is used.) I do find it odd it's such a small market, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-02, 03:49 PM

As a friendly reminder, please let's keep this thread clean. No need to put swear words up the ying yang as it doesn't help anything with ROGERS inactivity in giving us a dual tuner. Trust me, I have an arms length of the words I'd like to yell at them!!!

On that note, I do understand how ridiculous the explanations that come out of the CSR's when you call them. I find that very odd that there are no 6200's in the province. Is this a repeat of the sidecar 200 when we had to wait 3 months before getting the 6207's? Does this mean they don't have 6200's in hopes of getting us another machine that has the dual tuners inside?

Right now, I have 2 6208. One is in my theatre and the other in the living room. I don't know what software/hardware/firmware revision combo the theatre one has but it sure is buggy it seems. It doesn't fast forward or rewind like the "old" one that is in the living room. It doesn't seem to record as much HD programs as well. 7 1 hour HDNET programs and this thing is full. I'm thinking of buying one and installing a bigger drive....oh the pain when you're addicted to TV....

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #18 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-03, 09:22 AM

I don't believe the Microsoft solution has anywhere near the functionality of MCE, I believe it would be closer to what we have on our boxes currently. My biggest gripe about Microsoft in general is their monopolistic business practices and how that provides less choice for the consumer. However, their cable software may actually be better than what we have now from Rogers. I suspect that when the cablecos do get to offering networked cable boxes, the Microsoft solution would be the most limited.

As for them being out of 6200s, maybe they are expecting to get a lot of 6208s once the 2 years are up? I know a few people who have them, but don't even use the PVR functionality at all. I doubt they'd pay $24/month for a feature they don't use.

post #19 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-05, 02:37 AM

Location: Saint John, NB Rogers Digital HD 6416 MK III x2, Samsung LN46A530 HDTV, JVC RX-6030V, XBOX 360
Unhappy

I had to have a new cable line installed today in my apartment. Been having a few problems and the tech thinks that I may have had a break in the line so to be sure they ran a new line. Any way I was asking some questions about our NB cable system. He tells me that all major areas of NB (SJ, F'ton, Moncton etc.) are indeed as of right now 860 Mhz! So then I ask about the corner box and the addition of HD channels. His response is this:

"As far as the 6412 it is now outdated and has been replaced with moto's newest box. SJ did have a warehouse full of the corner boxes ready to go (but...wait hold on for this one...) Rogers has decided at this time to focus it's money and resorces on Home Phone. And in the comming months Rogers is releasing Video Home Phone. As for a D/T box it could be later this year or sometime next year."

It sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Then I asked about why our channel line up is not the same as our counter parts in Ontario including HD selection. His answer was:

"At this time Roger Atlantic is getting its channels from Ontario VIA Satellite and not hard-wired from ontario and therefore until that has been fixed we are probably at max cap. for the time being"

Sounds like another load of BS. So what are your thoughts on this info?

I think that he is blowing smoke up my/our waz-zoo's. I also asked him how long has he been in NB doing tech work and he said apx 6 years. Sounds like a rookie eh? I asked someone about the Satellite and he said it sounded like bull cookies. All I know is that the folks in the maritimes are getting the big shaft and we should be paying lower prices not the same prices like in the land of rogers until we can have the same setup as them.

Rogers Digital HD 6416 MK III x2, Samsung LN46A530 HDTV, JVC RX-6030V, XBOX 360 Next Gen, Samsung Blue Ray
post #20 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-05, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

"Home phone"?! Oy vay, are their priorities outta wack. My sympathies from way down here in Comcastic-ville.
post #21 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-05, 06:26 PM

Umm.. Rogers trumpeted the press release announcing the fibre link between the maritimes and Ontario over a year and a half ago.. So.. umm.. would our link to Ontario be that fibre.. and not ... satellite?

I actually don't know the answer to that.

As for those who suggested I purchase a 6200 at FS or TSbCC.. I'm not paying to rent one now.. so I doubt I'll purchase one. There's a whole history here where I had the 6208 for a year and Rogers took away my monthly credit for it.. I complained.. and they explained.. (again 14 months after I had received the box for free each month) That I was never eligible for the HD PVR, just a basic PVR. I pointed out that in NB, the ONLY PVR they have is HD.. and that I would be thrilled with a straight up HD cable box, no PVR on the same plan.

They told me they had none. Three times.

Finally they relented to allow my current HD-PVR credit to continue to the expiration date.

You see? THere's a whole history.

When my 'freebie' ends in July.. I'll revisit my thinking then.

Thanks for the suggestion tho!

J
post #22 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 12:36 PM

I gave up waiting and jumped ship to Expressvu. (I used to sell hotdogs in the corner room). I signed a 2 year contact in March of 2006. I thought for sure that by this time (2007) things would have moved forward. Much to my surprise things are still the same. Well actually I think they've worsened (No more HD channels).

I feel for you who are still waiting.....

PS The other side (Expressvu) is pretty good. There's issues and problems but at least most everyone is affected the same. Unlike Rogers deliberately giving less to NB subscribers.

Last edited by habskilla; 2007-04-09 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling
post #23 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-21, 01:31 PM

Cool Wishing I could switch to BEV

Long time Rogers client. Down to just cable, changed internet to another ISP (cheaper). Their product is OK, but their hardware is behind the times.

I've had the 6208 since it came out and I'm on my 4th box. Which is why I don't buy, I rent. And reason I don't switch to Bell. Too expensive to buy and HD equipment too flaky. Our corner box is 3 years old. Where have they re-invested? Seem to be concentrating on On Demand. Good, but not my cup of tea. For HD, give me the network prime time shows or sports.

Their latest drive to get everyone to add Home Phone to their bundle scheme has me looking to change. Enough. I know we're getting more channels, but it's like saying, to get regular cable TV, you have to subscribe to two specialty packages. Can't do without my HDPVR, and again, Bell is a less attractive option. Crap.

I'm kinda disappointed this Rogers NB forum got to the bottom of the menu. A far cry from when we we're one of the most active forums. A new box would stir things up.

VIP5662W/2202,SamUN55KS8000F/46C6300,BDK8500/C5500,Denon3805,ParadigmMon9,CC370,MiniMon,PS1000/HWK650,HarmUlt1,WDLiveTVs
post #24 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 08:13 AM

Exclamation New info to make your heart pump faster!!!

Here is what I got from Brent, the manager at the Source at the Regent Mall. According to his source (no pun) that distributes his ROGERS receivers for him to sell, the dual tuner is coming in less than a month. Yes I know we (or actually I have told you guys) have been told this story many a times. However, this time, he told me of something that I knew that I suspected he might not of known: the software issue. It turns out that there was a miscommunication (how can that be, ROGERS being a communication expert???!!) between MOTOROLA and ROGERS about who has to supply the software. There are actually beta testers in Fredericton that are using the machine as we speak (or type).

I was going to check out the PVR at $299 which is now $249 but they can't sell them until dual comes out.. .

Anyway, like always, if this turns out to be true, we'll finally be able to have the ingamous machine but be forewarned.....I have been burnt too many times to jump with over excitement over this news so I'll take it with a BIG grain of salt. It sure would be nice though...

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #25 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Yay! I'll warm up the sushi, and get a cake shaped like the corner box ready. (Mmm, chocolate IC chips anyone?)
post #26 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 03:41 PM

Let's not book any suite at the RITZ just yet. We've heard these promises many times before so I'd say we'll have to wait and see as we get closer to the end of May.

Oh, another thing that was mentionned was that Bell and Starchoice we're starting to be the number one reason people were jumping ship. The offer of a dual tuner was (is) getting to affect ROGERS customers...imagine that .

post #27 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 06:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Oh, another thing that was mentionned was that Bell and Starchoice we're starting to be the number one reason people were jumping ship. The offer of a dual tuner was (is) getting to affect ROGERS customers...imagine that
Hmmm.....

I seem to have called/spouted off something like this a few years ago in the 6412 thread...

I guess the big questions for me are:
  • Do us lucky dogs with the rental for free for life get a new 6412 for free in place of the 6208?
  • Will the guide/software for the 6200/6208 change too?

Here is the scary one...
  • If there is new software for the 6200 and 6208, will it stomp all over the firewire???

Here is for hoping that only good things happen with the new box, if it indeed comes in the next month...

I wonder if the rental rate on the 6208 will go down?
post #28 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 09:58 PM

Hey que3jxp regarding your question:

Quote:
Do us lucky dogs with the rental for free for life get a new 6412 for free in place of the 6208?
I'm on this same deal - and the way they got me to switch over from the start was that there was a dual-tuner included (some poorly trained 3rd party supplier sold me on the ON equipment instead of the NB equipment). When I got the equipment and ther wasn't a dual-tuner, I fought with them and got it in writing (in e-mail) that they would upgrade me to the 6412 when it came out for free (which 2 years ago was in a month or two - ha!). Hopefully the same will apply to everyone though!
post #29 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-22, 10:16 PM
Veteran

Ya, I knew I was in for a single tuner although at first, before speaking with the sales dude, I thought the deal was going to net me a dual.

Needless to say, the sales dude assured me that I would be in line for a free upgrade, but now that it has been 3 years, I am not holding my breath...
post #30 of 247 (permalink) Old 2007-04-23, 09:29 AM

I have no idea if that deal will be honored...knowing their track record, I'd say not.

Something must be going on today...I have seen more ROGERS trucks on the road than usuall. I saw some working on the feed from Fredericton to Oromocto this morning. Upgrades for something good?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in