Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Ignite TV Atlantic Discussions

15K views 64 replies 12 participants last post by  bluedrongo 
#1 · (Edited)
Ignite TV is available in Newfoundland now. I’m getting it installed on Monday. The installation is quite expensive $100 quoted for me and my bill will go up by about $30 but I’m excited ! The PVR is wireless and they now provide a 4 K PVR here. I’ll be getting a new modem as well. Rogers says their eventual plan is to phase out the Coxial cable service.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/05/28/rogers-ignite-tv-newfoundland/

#2 ·
Here's the thread on Ignite in Ontario:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61...284861-rogers-ignite-tv-iptv-discussions.html

There are numerous threads on Ignite on the Rogers forum. Although many people like the features, many people also complain about issues like freezing, poor picture quality during prime time, etc (server inadequacy). Look forward to hearing your comments. Good Luck

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/bd-p/IgniteTV

I would not want to be an early adopter on this.

#5 ·
Hopefully sooner then later for you guys because I would have thought it would launch in Newfoundland and New Brunswick around the same time or not long after, but that’s obviously not the case as of now, I’ll share my experience with it next week.

#6 ·
... The PVR is wireless and they now provide a 4 K PVR here.
You do not get a PVR with Ignite but rather a TV Box that provides the interface to the services. It can playback 4K channels and recordings. The recordings are not stored on the box but rather on a central server (in the cloud). This means that an internet connection is required for playback.

There is minimal activity recently on many of the forums that cover Ignite (Rogers community forum, DSLReports, and Digital Home), a reasonable indication of stability. There was quite a bit of activity a couple of months ago when there were performance issues but this appears to have been resolved.

With a little luck it will be fine for you. Enjoy.

#8 ·
The service providers can already "see" what you're watching and recording since the digital age started and communications became two-way almost 20 years ago. They claim to keep this information to themselves to improve the services for you (i.e. rate shaping more popular programming for better picture quality (higher bitrate) and less popular programming gets a lower bitrate, etc.) Let's not get off topic for this thread though.

As for external hacking, I don't think anyone cares what you're watching. ;)

#9 ·
I was told today that after my install you can choose to swap out some of your channels that you may not be interested in watching for others that qualify. This is known as FLEX. I do like that feature, it’s about time - I mean honestly I’d never watch Cottage Life Channel or a few others.

#10 ·
The amount of FLEX-ability (number of channels) you have depends on the package that you have. Also, you have to choose from a "list" of channels that qualify for FLEX.

Also, you have time limits - every thirty days, etc. From the Rogers site:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/exchange-ignite-tv-channels

For example, the Select package has 13 Flex, while Premier has close to 80. Click View Prices, View Channels in the following link, then choose Flex Channels:

https://www.rogers.com/web/consumer/ignite-bundles/tv-internet

(The info for Atlantic may be slightly different.)

#11 ·
I can't wait for the flex option, I've already analyze the ontario's list, make a spreadsheet and decide on 6 channels i would swap.

The only worrying part with flex is that can potentially force less popular channels to shutdown to lack of subscribers, punishing those who love to watch the less popular channels like I do.

Also an other downside with ignite tv, according to the list of channels, you do loose the fm radio channels.

But it seen that the Atlantic will have access to the multi-cultural channels.

Since I live in a french area, I wonder if the flex list will be a little different to include more french channels. I hope that we will be able to flex Météomédia to The Weather Network.

#12 ·
Flex is next to useless unless without the Premier package. I noticed that Rogers recently increased the price of Premier by $10.

you do loose the fm radio channels.
Almost all FM stations now have their own web streams so it's probably not a worthwhile feature these days. I can get almost any FM station I want, plus lots more, on my choice of internet radio, PC, tablet or smartphone.

#14 ·
Almost all FM stations now have their own web streams so it's probably not a worthwhile feature these days. I can get almost any FM station I want, plus lots more, on my choice of internet radio, PC, tablet or smartphone.
I know that, but I love the idea of just tune to a digit on cable to a fm radio, specially that there no good radio in my area, so I have to use cable or internet. Also what I like the cable option is that my wireless transmitter for my wireless headphones use fm band, so I can use that trick to send audio from my cable box to the alarm radio in my bedroom, I like to listening to a few song and get the morning news before getting out of bed, without having to pickup my phone and turn on wifi and turn on an app...

I know, I'm complicated...

It's no big deal, beside it's gonna take at least a year before I get Ignite TV, I'll probably wait until it's required for everyone. 🙂

#13 · (Edited)
So far I like it and having no problems ! The Internet modem looks a little weird though and it only has two Ethernet ports. It looks like some kind of speaker. You do get apps on the tv box. The tv box is much smaller then the digital boxes. I had to call in to figure out how to power down the TV box, it’s abit of a process for me which is the only thing I find annoying. I do think the channels look much better however quality wise.

#15 ·
I get that. Before Rogers shut off analog FM, I had cable hooked up to an alarm clock radio. There were some US FM stations on cable that I listened to quite frequently. Then Rogers started removing US stations and my favourites disappeared. By the time analog FM was shut down and the stations switched to digital only, most of the US stations were replaced by Rogers owned stations out of the GTA. That whole shift prompted me to subscribe to internet music services and listen to streamed FM radio. That was about 15 years ago and I've rarely listened to OTA FM since. These days I use an internet clock radio and playlists on my own media server for the alarm and streaming radio for everything else. It looks like Rogers is giving up on providing FM on their TV service as well. I won't miss it.

#16 ·
So accessing the Ignite App on my Firestick didn’t work I was able to log in but not stream my channels. They really should put the App for the streaming boxes (like Roku) on it like Bell Fibe has. I flexed a lot of toddler, two news networks, and a sports network for the ones I like it’s still ok under the Popular package.

I don’t know for sure but there are probably ways of getting FM radio stations on Firestick, Roku, or Apple TV which I own them all, I’d have to check though.

#19 · (Edited)
Now that I’ve had Ignite TV in Newfoundland for 2 1/2 weeks I can say it’s a great product for me out here. I haven’t experienced any of the issues that some people in Ontario seem to be having ! It’s much better then the Crappy Nextbox HDPVR in terms of quality and the Internet doesn’t disconnect from my Apple TV constantly anymore with the new modem. It seems smoother somehow. I was nervous at first to get it but glad I did.

I was able to get the install for $50

Two things to take note of: They gave me a new account number and they did double bill me but it’s only a one time thing. It was worth the upgrade.

#25 ·
My mother in law got a flyer from her apartment building about Ignite being available in Fredericton. We're going to look at it this weekend, the advertised price is still highly competitive with Bell and would save her money for what she uses.
@jack021 - what do you mean, you can't port the number back? Wouldn't that break a CRTC regulation if they refuse to release the number?

#26 ·
I'm currently creating a spreadsheet with the data available on Roger's website for the channel lineup for Ignite TV for New-Brunswick (Fredericton), But I notice there's a few channel missing compare to the regular cable lineup.

Also I notice on the list that the OnDemand channel are not listed, are they now on app instead of regular channel digit? I guest the same thing happen with FM radio channels.

And I see that MétéoMédia is Flex in the English market, does that mean that The Weather Network will be Flex in the French market? That would be great if it does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.