Atlantic Canada: AMCHD situation - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Atlantic Canada: AMCHD situation

Is anyone else fed up with the way we are being treated by Rogers for AMCHD and other channels? They made the big announcement in early March that Rogers customers would have AMCHD by April 1. When only Ontario got it they said Atlantic Canada would be getting it "soon". Not a word since then. And they don't even bother to post AMCHD episodes like Mad Men on ROD in a timely manner (the last one posted is three episodes ago).

I tried calling in and was referred to management levels who could tell me absolutely NOTHING on what the status is. It seems that Rogers has an inpenetrable wall even for their own employees. Nobody could tell me anything. They are treating us with utter contempt! On their community forums, their mods we telling us "soon" but now only silence. What an outfit, it's like we don't even exist.

I urge you guys to call and make a fuss. Post to the communtiy forum. They need to hear from us.

What an outfit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 07:53 AM
Rookie

I am not defending them because I agree that they could care less about customers out here but I think they are stonewalling everyone because they cannot deliver any more HD content until there is major capital invested in their infrastructure. I assume they just want to avoid any further "bad press" just by remaining silent about their internal issues delivering services in NB and NL. If they were to officially admit their technical shortcomings it would likely cause more damage than (in the grand scheme of things) a few peeved customers inquiring about their ridiculous HD line up compared to ON.

What an outfit is right. I am still not prepared to jump to FibreOP because of their channel packaging makes the sub cost much more than what I am paying w/Rogers for what my wife watches. Right now, AMC HD is the big sore point for me too. Realistically, if it wasn't for my wife and kids and what they watch I would dump TV altogether and go strictly online content.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 05:29 PM

Woodsie, I used to say the same thing. After being with FibreOp for a while, you don't miss the channels ROGERS has that FO doesn't. In the past few months, the gap has become very slim. Plus you have no caps for internet and after a few months, you can ask why you have to pay this much when ROGERS offers this or that. By saying so to the FO CSR, I now have all TMN networks in HD, AMC HD , TCM HD , Superchannels HD, Hollywood Suite, Timeshifting, the Ulitmate Digital package, 175/30 internet, phone and few things here and there for $210 a month. NO CONTRACTS.

When I left ROGERS, I had 10/1 internet service with 86 GB limit, just about every channel under the moon, TMN HD but not all were in HD, no AMC HD, no TCM HD, no Hollywood Suite, home phone, one cell phone for $276 a month plus any overage on the internet to a max of $50. I went over each month so it was always over $300+ a month. Got fed up, members on here told me to come to the other side and never looked back since. Did I mention NO CAPS WHATSOEVER?

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Danster, great that you have replied. I remember you talking about leaving, and was wondering what your experience was. Is AMCHD part of the standard HD package or do you pay extra? What channels do you not get that Rogers provides? Any other downside to switching?

I'm under contract right now for another 18 months but I may try and get out of it after this AMC fiasco. What about the PVR Bell provides... Does it have the same problems that the Rogers ones have? Thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 08:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster View Post
Woodsie, I used to say the same thing. After being with FibreOp for a while, you don't miss the channels ROGERS has that FO doesn't. In the past few months, the gap has become very slim. Plus you have no caps for internet and after a few months, you can ask why you have to pay this much when ROGERS offers this or that. By saying so to the FO CSR, I now have all TMN networks in HD, AMC HD , TCM HD , Superchannels HD, Hollywood Suite, Timeshifting, the Ulitmate Digital package, 175/30 internet, phone and few things here and there for $210 a month. NO CONTRACTS.

When I left ROGERS, I had 10/1 internet service with 86 GB limit, just about every channel under the moon, TMN HD but not all were in HD, no AMC HD, no TCM HD, no Hollywood Suite, home phone, one cell phone for $276 a month plus any overage on the internet to a max of $50. I went over each month so it was always over $300+ a month. Got fed up, members on here told me to come to the other side and never looked back since. Did I mention NO CAPS WHATSOEVER?
Hey Dan,

Glad you like it over there. Rogers doesn't have contracts anymore but I got a 25% off cable for a year guarantee 3 weeks ago so I can leave anytime. I don't have Rogers internet as I have had FibreOp internet 50/30 (formerly 20/15) for awhile and love it. I did not however get any counter offer from Bell Aliant to come down on their standard pricing even when I mentioned it would cost me $20.00 more per month to bundle w/them. You see, some of the channels we need are "Lifetime", "FoxNews" and "Food Network" and a 3rd digital terminal all of which, we need to purchase in addition to "FibreOP Best" for an extra $20.00 /month which takes us up to $220.00/month which is about $20.00 more than our existing Rogers and BA bills combined. Unless they can match what I pay monthly after the first 3 mos, I will stay put. AMC HD isn't worth the extra $20.00 bucks for me.

It's a bit of a shame you have to switch before they get reasonable. Maybe someone from BA is out there reading this and is willing to bargain.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-06-06, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Danster, great that you have replied. I remember you talking about leaving, and was wondering what your experience was. Is AMCHD part of the standard HD package or do you pay extra? What channels do you not get that Rogers provides? Any other downside to switching?

I'm under contract right now for another 18 months but I may try and get out of it after this AMC fiasco. What about the PVR Bell provides... Does it have the same problems that the Rogers ones have? Thanks.
Oh so many question!!!

AMC HD for me, is included in my movie pack. Like woodsie said, the bundles to get such or such a channel, sucks BIG time. However, it doesn't take long that you forget about what you are missing and move on. Having said that, few weeks ago they made Discovery in HD which was one of the channels I missed originally.

In our house, the movies are the magic word. That is why we have all the movie channels, Superchannel and Hollywood Suite. I also love boxing so I have it on HBO Canada and Superchannel for the boxing on Showtime networks.

I download a lot of British show not available here in Canada from the newsgroups (other site, not FO) like Britains Got Talent just to name one.

The PVRs are good but if you have them connected on cable instead of cat5, the remote pvr's are kinda slow compared to the main one which is on cat5 here in our home.

Do I miss ROGERS ?Not one bit. I am happy other members told me to take the leap and I never looked back.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 07:58 AM
Rookie

One more question Dan: Are they still broadcasting in simulated DD 5.1 surround or is now in true DD 5.1? I remember early on w/FO that was an issue.

Thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 05:35 PM

I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like real 5.1 surround to me. I guess it all depends on the show we are watching. Most movies I have watched had good sound effects matching what was going on on the screen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in