coax booster - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2012-06-24, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

coax booster

I have two hdpvr Motorola units from Rogers. I am using one upstairs and one downstairs using a splitter and approximately 75 feet of RG9 coaxial cable. I can use one at a time w/o the splitter and get perfect reception on all channels, but when I use the splitter to connect both of them at the same time I lose three or four of the highest numbered HD channels on both boxes. I know that Rogers could fix if for $ but I'm hoping to aovid the monthly fee for the seldom-used second box. It is a good quality splitter. How important would the quality of the short cable lengths attached to the splitter be? Would a coax booster help. Would the boosters used for satellite dishes work for HD cable tv? I seldom would use both at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2012-06-27, 12:13 PM

I tried a signal booster when i was having trouble with certain channels and on demand a while back, made no differance, I too had a good quailty splitter so wound up calling Rogers after all else failed, they replaced the splitter I had and boom, problem solved. Now I had 4 tv's all hooked up but only 3 were on boxes the other was just straight to the tv tuner.

No problems since. I'm not suggesting you call Rogers all I'm saying is sometimes the spliiters you buy don't seem to meet the requirements of Rogers cable in NB.

Hitachi 51 GWX 20B | Sony STRDE845 Receiver | Rogers NB 6208 PVR + 2500 | Proson V6 Speakers | 16 x 22 Basement HT
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2012-06-29, 10:09 AM

The quaility you buy from a store compared to what Rogers has is completely different in terms of the signal loss. When a tech comes he has to balance it out so that the amount coming in which is fairly high stays within certain limits once you start splitting out to your devices, these devices get there required amount of signal to work properly, it isn't really a science but must be done in the correct order for everything to work. (I would go into details but its a bit much) if you really wanted to get an amplifier have a look at Eletrolines products

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in