Whole Home PVR in Rogers Atlantic - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-10, 07:13 PM
Member #1

hippyhay, where are you located? Do you work for Rogers or how did you get it installed so quickly?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-10, 10:47 PM

I called just last night and I am scheduled to have the whole home PVR installed tomorrow. I was expecting to have to wait longer but I think it was just announced yesterday. The CSR rep I talked to didn't even know that this product was released. Did I read earlier in this thread or somewhere else that this is being released in Atlantic Canada first? Seems strange but I'm OK with that.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-11, 07:56 AM
Rookie

I live in Moncton NB and I was the first in NB to have the service. At this time Atlantic Canada is the only provinces that rogers offers the service to.The setup was pretty simply but it took a long time for the guide to work as Rogers sent out an update to their digital boxes around the same time.

post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-11, 08:04 AM
Member #1

hippyhay, can you give us an overview of what you've got and how it works?

post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-11, 08:43 AM
Rookie

I have one DVR which is a motorola dcx 3400m and 3 little motorola dcx 700-m receivers all which have HDMI!!! I was very happy for that.The main 3400m box which I have in my home theatre room, controls all the recording but does not have to be turned on. The one thing I have heard is that the fan always runs on the box and gets loud after a while as it runs 24/7 even when not in use. It's pretty well just a network between the boxes and 3400m is the server. They will install a splitter on the line that runs into your house for your TV that is special and acts as a terminator for the network. I was lucky to have 2 lines run into my house so that I can run my internet and phone off the other line.

The biggest problem I have right now is that the guide is not working. It just shows no data for the listings as well as I thought I would be able to rewind a show to the point I started watching it with out recording it but that does not seem to work.
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-11, 05:04 PM

Quote:
The biggest problem I have right now is that the guide is not working. It just shows no data for the listings as well as I thought I would be able to rewind a show to the point I started watching it with out recording it but that does not seem to work.
The guide is not a widespread issue, myself and two friends have a MOCA home network and our guides are operating correctly currently. It may just be slow to update on your end, which is normal.

As for being able to rewind a show you watched on the 700 without having it set to record in advance, unfortunately, that is not an option.

I've had a 3400 for a few months, and have not experienced any fan related noise issues.
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-11, 05:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordak View Post
As for being able to rewind a show you watched on the 700 without having it set to record in advance, unfortunately, that is not an option.
That is very disappointing!!! I should have went with Bell's Fiber op just for that feature and 30 MB internet!!!!
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 12:03 PM
Rookie

Pause on 700?

Can anyone confirm if you can use the PVR functions on the 700 recievers? Pause, Rewind, Record? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the Rogers folks I've spoken to. Interested in the service, but only if the secondary boxes can do this...
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 01:11 PM
Rookie

Yes you can record and rewind from the 700 services receivers. Its being able to rewind a show or pause live TV that does not seem to be an option.
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 01:37 PM
Member #1

hippyhay, so you can play and record but you can't rewind, ff or pause?

post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 01:52 PM
Rookie

No the 700 acts just like the pvr but controlling the 3400 from the 700.

Most PVR's like the ones bell have you can watch live tv and it starts recording from the time you change the channel. This was you can pause a show and walk away and play and ff until you hit the live broadcasting of the show when you get back to the TV. once you change the channel the recording gets deleted but this does not happen with the 3400 from Rogers unless you manually setup a recording
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 02:04 PM
Rookie

Okay, so it doesn't have a buffer of the live TV feed that you can rewind. I believe Bell TV is 60 Min.

Your comment back to Hugh confused me...so you can pause live TV on the 700s in the same way you can on the 3400? And its just the ability to rewind the buffer that you can't do?
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 02:14 PM
Rookie

You can pause live TV but its not as easy as just hitting the pause button. You have to create a manual recording
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-15, 09:47 PM

Location: Saint John, NB Rogers Digital HD 6416 MK III x2, Samsung LN46A530 HDTV, JVC RX-6030V, XBOX 360
Thumbs down Purchased Equipemnt

Well after being on the phone for over an hour it appears as I can not exchange my current 6416 IIIx2 for the new PVR's. I spoke with a Rogers Plus agent on Saturday who advised me that if my PVR's were less than 2 years old I could swap for the new units for this Whole Home PVR. I did purchase these units from Rogers. I invested in two HD units and 2 SD units and now that new tech stuff is here they more or less told me to get lost. However, if i had rented the very units I have (which i did and then flipped them to purchased units), no problem bring them in or call for the install and they would gladly exchange them for the new units. I guess it really doesn't pay to invest in equipment, what a bummer .

Rogers Digital HD 6416 MK III x2, Samsung LN46A530 HDTV, JVC RX-6030V, XBOX 360 Next Gen, Samsung Blue Ray

Last edited by ve9arb; 2011-08-15 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-08-16, 08:10 AM
Rookie

VE9Arb:

Well, if that's how it is just with them, wait until your contract (if you have one) expires and cancel your service. Although I cannot confirm this, but I heard from a guy I know @ Bell-Aliant who tells me they are apparently pretty flexible right now in providing their PVR systems at little or no cost to Rogers folks who own their gear like you and I. Again, I can't confirm they're actually doing this but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Oh, the ironic thing is I bet that if you do swing a deal w/Bell Aliant and actually cancel Rogers you'll likely find when you call to cancel, their retention department will offer you the new gear too little, too late. So perhaps call them first if you indeed are serious about cancelling. They are much more "reasonable" if it means you're cancelling on them because Bell is offering you any free gear in lieu of theirs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in