USB-sized PC for just $25 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2011-07-21, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

USB-sized PC for just $25

http://blogs.canoe.ca/canoetech/what...t-in-a-wallet/

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

British non-profit organization Raspberry Pi Foundation, which is dedicated to the study of computer science and related topics, has developed a basic computer that is the size of a USB key and costs just $25. The micro-computer has an USB port on one end and an HDMI port on the other end. It runs on Linux with a 700MHz ARM11 processor and 128 MB RAM. It can also be plugged into a TV or touch screen and be turned into a fully functional computer.

While some of us live in areas where children have their own mobile phones and even iPads, the Raspberry Pi Foundation’s motivation was to create a pre-configured system that is cheap enough to give to a child to help promote learning, saying “We plan to develop, manufacture and distribute an ultra-low-cost computer for use in teaching computer programming to children. We expect this computer to have many other applications both in the developed and the developing world.”

Full specs include:

700MHz ARM11
128MB of SDRAM
OpenGL ES 2.0
1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
Composite and HDMI video output
USB 2.0
SD/MMC/SDIO memory card slot
General-purpose I/O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 06:30 PM

teeny tiny 'puter

Yeah ,nice device , to bad it's not on the market yet, I'd buy a few......

-= If it's new and shiny, I don't have it =-
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2011-07-23, 10:34 AM
Veteran

I'd maybe wait for Rev 2.

I would want:
More USB ports, including a port to connect to a real PC to access the flash or SD memory as mass storage. SD will be SDHC compliant.

JTAG, for the inevitable bad code.

Must have 5V coaxial jack power input, with low draw standby. The current version apparently has an off board voltage regulator.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2011-10-31, 04:16 PM

I'm just curious to know how many people who cannot afford computers can afford a TV with HDMI inputs. And then there is the cost of the requisite Mouse, Keyboard and USB Hub to plug both with one USB port (admittedly somebody could get an old USB keyboard and mouse from corporate salvage, but a USB hub is going to be tough find without purchasing).

All in all, the sentiment of a cheap PC was good, but by the time you add everything else, it is more economical to buy a cheap netbook or continue with current models of salvaging old PCs and loading it with LINUX.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2011-11-02, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
I'm just curious to know how many people who cannot afford computers can afford a TV with HDMI inputs. And then there is the cost of the requisite Mouse, Keyboard and USB Hub to plug both with one USB port (admittedly somebody could get an old USB keyboard and mouse from corporate salvage, but a USB hub is going to be tough find without purchasing).

All in all, the sentiment of a cheap PC was good, but by the time you add everything else, it is more economical to buy a cheap netbook or continue with current models of salvaging old PCs and loading it with LINUX.
loll You can get a USB hub at the dollar store. Am not kidding and they work. The ultimate use I see for this thing is a small media server for an older HDTV that does not have networking included. You set it up with say that 2TB external drive that you are not using anymore fill it up with all your media. It produce next to no heat, cost almost no juice you can hide it really easily. I can think of a few more way to use a USB key size low power computer running Linux.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 08:57 AM

Another small Loonie sized PC. Called the CuBox. A bit more expensice but has a bit more to offer by way of inputs and power.

http://www.solid-run.com/

DM
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 10:18 AM
Veteran

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has announced that its PC will be shipping in early 2012. It will be the size of a deck of cards, not a USB key as originally planned.

Get Your Tiny PC on: Raspberry Pi Will Be Ready Early in 2012

Populated boards: an update on where we are

However, the tiny PCs are so popular they are being auctioned on eBay and are selling for over £2,050.00. So much for a $25 PC. Happy bidding.

However, you can buy a Raspberry Pi sticker for $1.91.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 10:31 AM

ScaryBob,

They are only auctioning off the first 10 sample boards on ebay.

Remember, RaspberryPi is a charity project developed by two Broadcom employees.

DM
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 10:41 AM
Veteran

I have no doubt that the $25 price point will be met eventually. I just find it ironic that the first few items will be sold for thousands of dollars. I wish Raspberry Pi the best of luck in raising money from the auctions.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 07:06 PM
Veteran

That Raspberry board seems more useful than the USB stick version.

Depending on what it can be used for, I could consider one.

The CC sized model will use a MicroUSB plug, to ensure 5V, since parts of the computer use that directly.

I see no reason for a USB mass-storage host.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-01-05, 11:46 AM

I could find a good use for this, even if its just to hang on the back of the TV. For $25 I'm willing to have a real web browser attached to the TV directly to show zap2it TV listings for our OTA stations. I'm always looking to improve the WAF (wife acceptance factor). Its definitely worth experimenting with. It looks to be a very worthy cause, and I will watch for when they start shipping to Canada (without a huge duty, will need to investigate further).
I hope they consider a Debian build.
Who knows, it might even play back some media.

Last edited by Balun; 2012-01-05 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 10:10 AM
Veteran

Part of the chip is a VPU core which Broadcom owns the rights to.

Supposedly, it uses the same chip as the Roku2.

I would pay maybe $50 for the more realistic credit card sized board, but I am not terribly eager to play with the innards of Linux anymore, so just may buy a retail media player, if that were my goal.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2012-01-06, 02:57 PM

I just read on their raspberrypi dot org / faq , that the $25 version is only USB, but you can supply a wifi usb dongle. The $35 version has the RJ45 network jack. So now the cost is creeping up for me. It would probably exceed $50 by the time you get it from Canada Post. Importing electronics into this country is no fun task, as I found out last year. It doesn't look like they will have any international distributors. It will need to be ordered directly from the UK. Before I look at ordering one, I'm going to try to find out what the import duty will be.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-10-18, 01:38 PM

Pie model B and B plus

I don't usually post on old threads, but here on Linux, they are all old.

Might as well update my own reply from 2012, as things changed, and its outdated.

I have 2 ras-pies now, and its turned into a major hobby.
Great for kids wanting to get into programming and electronics.
These days it's about $100 Canadian to get started.
The pie-2 model B about CAD$50.
Good power supply, with battery backup, wifi dongle, breakout boards etc easily takes up the
the other $50.
Adafruit (google it) is a great web resource, and there are Canadian distributors.
I'm having a ball with these things.
I bought a whole bunch of parts to work with before the Canadian dollar drops out of site.

The B plus runs as a music player that is WIFI controlled from my android phone, or laptop for our car camping weekends.

My primary system runs Debian Jessie.
The pies run a slightly older Debian version.
Many commands will be familiar to Ubuntu users.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2015-10-20, 11:20 AM

I have Jessie on one of my Pi machines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in