Rogers 2009 New Channels Discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-18, 10:12 AM

Forget about TSN2. We've been waiting for over 1.5 years for RDS HD. Bring the freaking channel already!!!!!!

I can hear Bell calling. Does Rogers really want all those lost customers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-18, 10:39 AM

TSN2/RDSHD

A lot of us would like Rogers to add those channels and a few are threatening to leave if they don't get them soon. Clearly Rogers understands that few will actually follow through on such threats and the impact on their customer base is pretty much zero. They have been threatened re RDS for over a year and a half and re TSN2 for more than 6 months and all we hear about are "negotiations".

For whatever reasons, they refuse to add what would be very popular channels. They may not have an absolute monopoly, but they have a de facto one and they are exercising that power.

I think that it is apparent that they see TSN2 as an unwanted competitor for Sportsnet to whom they already grant a favoured position on the dial. A good argument that channel owners should not also be channel distributors.
post #78 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-18, 08:37 PM

Unhappy Ok the golfers got Golf HD, where is TSN2??

Theis weekend at Nascar, thank god ABC is carrying the Nationwide race from Bristol, but after this TSN will only show these races on TSN2!!
Rogers is still in negotiations with TSN.
This could go on for months!!! We need to petition the CRTC to put on ESPN
and ESPN2 and screw TSN altogether!!!

post #79 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-18, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catski View Post
A lot of us would like Rogers to add those channels and a few are threatening to leave if they don't get them soon. Clearly Rogers understands that few will actually follow through on such threats and the impact on their customer base is pretty much zero. They have been threatened re RDS for over a year and a half and re TSN2 for more than 6 months and all we hear about are "negotiations".

For whatever reasons, they refuse to add what would be very popular channels. They may not have an absolute monopoly, but they have a de facto one and they are exercising that power.

I think that it is apparent that they see TSN2 as an unwanted competitor for Sportsnet to whom they already grant a favoured position on the dial. A good argument that channel owners should not also be channel distributors.
What is the point in "threatening" a company? If you can't get what you want, LEAVE. It's not in the control of ANYONE you speak to on the phone to get TSN2, or RDS HD. If you're heck bent on getting the channels, scoot on over to Bell for a couple of years.. then when you realise how bad they are, your contract is up with them and you can come back to Rogers.. probably get a better price than what you're paying now for the same service, and probably end up with TSN2 (I assume we'll have it in 2 years).
post #80 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-19, 01:07 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
For those wishing to discuss the Golf-HD channel, which is now available on Channel 546, please use the following thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=103914

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #81 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-19, 10:22 AM

rRep, it honestly sounds like Rogers doesn't care about making their customers happy. How hard can it be to offer a channel in HD (RDS HD) that you are already offering in standard definition?

The thing that gets me is that Rogers continually advertises that they are the leader in HD when this is simply not the case. The leader would not take years to add channels that other subscribers offered from the start.
post #82 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-19, 10:51 AM

Not hounding the messenger

Rrep - my point was not to blame the poor CSRs who field all the complaints. We know they can't do anything about it other than pass along the comments to those that can but who frankly don't give a damn.

Rogers is clearly abusing its position of market dominance.

Examples: Sportsnet is included in the basic analog package (TSN is in an optional extra tier); Sportsnet HD is free (TSN HD is extra); digital customers get all 4 Sportsnet channels (but cannot get TSN2 or RDSHD even by paying extra).

Rogers should not be allowed to give such blatant preference to its own channels over others. But they can do it and they are doing it. And the response to its customers is if you don't like it you can leave.

The CRTC should put an end these practices.
post #83 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-19, 10:58 AM

Time's up for Rogers

My patience has run out waiting for RDS-HD on Rogers. My only hesitation in leaving is reports of poor picture quality on this channel with Bell.

Does anyone know how Canadiens games look on RDS-HD with Bell TV, compared to hockey on TSN-HD or CBC-HD with Rogers or Bell? Thanks.
post #84 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-19, 06:02 PM

Starchoice is always an option. RDS HD is part of their basic package.

I haven't watched RDS HD directly but if you watch Habs highlights on TSN Sportscentre on Rogers, the PQ is great.
post #85 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-19, 10:59 PM

One thing I have to ask; there are MANY viewers requesting RDS HD
But wouldnt this channel be just like the various Sportsnet feeds, WGN, and other US stations we have now and always being blacked out when an out of market game is on?

On the west coast teams especially, I live in Toronto area and have NEVER seen a Canuck, Oiler, Flame, or Blackhawk game (despite having the channels) as they are always blacked out

I think RDS will be as much a waste as all Senator and Canadien games would be the same

TSN2 we at least can *see*
post #86 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-19, 11:17 PM

All Habs games are telecast in Toronto on RDS SD.

If they were to be blacked out, they wouldn't be on SD either.
post #87 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-20, 02:14 PM

Location: Scarborough, Rogers Cable, 8642HD, LG 55LW5600, Sony BDVE980W
It's funny how some hockey games on WGN are blacked out, but some aren't. And no bBulls games are blacked out. The NBA rules are very liberal because you sometimes have Raptors/NBA TV aring a game at the same time as a Raptors game on another channel! RDS has national NHL rights, so their games aren't blacked out. I'm still hopeful that Rogers will add the HD version sometime in our lifetimes. I wouldn't mind if they made RIS available too, as a lot of NHL games are broadcast on that channel too (in SD). The biggest problem is the seeming non-responsiveness by Rogers to the requests of its customers.
post #88 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-21, 12:45 AM

I think Rogers' "non-responsiveness" regarding RDS is probably more related to a lack of demand. Just because there is a lot of clamoring for RDS in this forum, doesn't necessarily equate to a lot of demand in Rogers' customer base in most of Ontario. Most anglophones won't want to watch French coverage of sports.

The same argument can't be made for TSN2 though.
post #89 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-21, 02:09 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampagord View Post
I think Rogers' "non-responsiveness" regarding RDS is probably more related to a lack of demand. Just because there is a lot of clamoring for RDS in this forum, doesn't necessarily equate to a lot of demand in Rogers' customer base in most of Ontario. Most anglophones won't want to watch French coverage of sports.

The same argument can't be made for TSN2 though.
The likely reason that neither of these channels is carried is that Rogers is feuding with CTVglobemedia and won't carry either TSN2 or RDS until they come to some sort of agreement.
post #90 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-03-21, 02:38 AM

I too am highly disappointed about the lack of TSN2 (especially with the Toronto Raptors season almost over) but I just noticed that Rogers added "UFC on Demand" on channel 100. If you're a fan of mixed martial arts, you're probably going to like it. I've got more details in this post.
Closed Thread

Tags
new channels , rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in