Rogers 2009 New Channels Discussion - Page 43 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #631 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-10, 05:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
NO, since they obviously had it in 16:9, that's how they should have shown it, even if only up converted from SD. I was able to zoom it to full screen, but why should I have to, considering it's on a HD channel? By doing it the way they did, they limited the resolution.
im talking bout the SD fireplace yule log channel, they should keep it in a 4:3 window, i dont want burn-in on my crt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-10, 05:36 PM
Veteran

Burn-in from the fireplace channel? ;-)

Is burn-in still an issue with CRTs? IIRC, that problem has been resolved. You'd have to leave it on for a very long time for it to be noticable.
post #633 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The HD box is $12.95; the SD box is $4.49. I pass by a local retailer daily who has been selling the HD box for $179. If I bought it last month, it would be paid for by next Christmas in "rental recovery". The boxes are solid state electronics and come with a two year warranty. Why rent?!?

Most signals travel via fibre to cable head-ends already. The capacity issues are in the network architecture: the fibre-coax hybrid delivery system already delivers an incredible amount of data to the back of your TV set. Techniques like switched digital video, already in place by Rogers and others, promise more-or-less infinite capacity. The "in due time" bit is really dependent on specialty channels moving to HD, not the cable provider (satellite, OTOH, does have finite resources).

I dunno. Practically everyone who starred in the first 3D movies are dead -- think Vincent Price in House of Wax or Ray Milland and Grace Kelly in Dial M for Murder -- so it's not going out on a limb to think that if 56 years have passed already, 3D TV is no serious short term threat. Let's concentrate on Space HD and worry about History 3D some other time.

There are far more TV viewers for whom languages other than French are more relevant in Toronto. It's good to see Ottawa has had them first, and that they've arrived here as well. But I wonder whether V HD will really pull as much audience here as a Mandarin, Spanish or Tagalog (Filipino) language channel. Given HD channels use the same capacity as 4 or 5 SD ones, launching 10 new French HD channels in the Toronto market (which Rogers has done recently) means trade-offs.

It looks like WYSIWYG is, at least, a happier camper than before.
What retailer are you talking about that has the HD box for 179 and is that with the new subscriber discount etc?
I'm looking to upgrade my owned SD box for a HD box , but don't want to spend the 249 or even the 199 for it when i've seen it for 149 in the late fall (can't remember where though)

2001 A/V has it now for 149 but with different rebates and one being a 50 dollar new subscriber discount , hey where's the discount for us people that have had digital box's since 1999?? When it was still Shaw.

post #634 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 05:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordow View Post
What retailer are you talking about that has the HD box for 179 and is that with the new subscriber discount etc?
I'm looking to upgrade my owned SD box for a HD box , but don't want to spend the 249 or even the 199 for it when i've seen it for 149 in the late fall (can't remember where though)

2001 A/V has it now for 149 but with different rebates and one being a 50 dollar new subscriber discount , hey where's the discount for us people that have had digital box's since 1999?? When it was still Shaw.
Last year BB and FS had the HD boxes for $99 on Boxing Week sales - which actually begin on Dec 24. So if you can wait 13 days you might get a good deal - but no guarantees.
post #635 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Last year BB and FS had the HD boxes for $99 on Boxing Week sales - which actually begin on Dec 24. So if you can wait 13 days you might get a good deal - but no guarantees.
Was it with all the programming credits do you know? Or just for the box?

I was planning on waiting to see if the price drops over the xmas season , but hoping for a half decent price.
post #636 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 07:20 PM

Fireplace Channel HD!

Woo-Hoo!

They updated it and are now showing a NEW fireplace.

The old one had such fake crackling ever second and it looked like it was at "x2" speed and the white hearth was cold in feeling. This one is totally realistic in looks and sound... especially sound! This channel I can actually sit down and watch... for background.

I disagree on the need to put Christmas music over it. Go buy a dime-a-dozen Christmas CD and pop it in if you want to hear seasonal tunes. I like it juuuuuust the way it is!
post #637 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 07:24 PM

I don't know why in late-2009 there's even an OPTION to buy a SD box (???). If you want to "future-proof" yourself, buy a HD box. You'll still get ALL the channels you did before PLUS access to many, many others HD ones, including FREE HD... even if you have a CRT TV; just ignore or put up w/ the black bars. New channels like V (TQS) don't even have a SD equivalent.

I enjoyed the Treasure/Equator/Oasis/Rush HD free preview, even on my CRT TV. I went over to my brothers house where he was watching on his 42" LCD and it was nice *not* seeing the black bars. Makes me want to buy a HD set when I get the money.
post #638 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 07:41 PM
Veteran

i predict eventually rogers will pull a bell and start offering hd only set top boxes, which will work with standard definition analogue television sets too, they wll be able to watch hd programming, but the box will downconvert the signals to 480i/p all broadcasters will eventually switch to hd channels, its only a matter of time, we're still stuck in the transition phase and due to this, we have to put up with backwards compatibility with older technology untill everything either breaks or becomes obsolete. They did this in Italy, my dad said they switched everything to high definition and digital broadcasts, and unlike canada, they did it realitively fast and a smooth roll out. everyone co-operates, the government gives rebates too and thats a bonus.
post #639 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 09:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
i predict eventually rogers will pull a bell and start offering hd only set top boxes, which will work with standard definition analogue television sets too, they wll be able to watch hd programming, but the box will downconvert the signals to 480i/p all broadcasters will eventually switch to hd channels, its only a matter of time, we're still stuck in the transition phase and due to this, we have to put up with backwards compatibility with older technology untill everything either breaks or becomes obsolete. They did this in Italy, my dad said they switched everything to high definition and digital broadcasts, and unlike canada, they did it realitively fast and a smooth roll out. everyone co-operates, the government gives rebates too and thats a bonus.
The HD terminals can already do this... I have a SA 4250 that is on a normal 4:3 TV which just RCA inputs and downcoverted to 480i. Also, my SA 8300HD is connected to my Slingbox A/V with the same inputs AND also outputs using HDMI to the HD TV in the room. When I remote view my slingbox, its 480i.
post #640 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 09:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7 View Post
Woo-Hoo!

They updated it and are now showing a NEW fireplace.

The old one had such fake crackling ever second and it looked like it was at "x2" speed and the white hearth was cold in feeling. This one is totally realistic in looks and sound... especially sound! This channel I can actually sit down and watch... for background.

I disagree on the need to put Christmas music over it. Go buy a dime-a-dozen Christmas CD and pop it in if you want to hear seasonal tunes. I like it juuuuuust the way it is!
For all the trouble that they are putting into getting this channel going, seems like a waste of time if they are going to take it down in January... hmm...
post #641 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-12, 12:33 AM

The fireplace could warm us up all winter if there is no Christmas tree in the picture. It could last until March then.
post #642 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 03:41 PM

Its a waste of channel # and Bandwith. What the purpose of it! Its stupid!

Rogers Digtal Cable,PVR8642HD/PVR8000, VIP ULTIMATE+TMN Playboy, Hustler, Super , WWE 24/7, BELL TV 9241PVRHD,
post #643 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 06:25 PM

Not everybody has a fireplace so I think it adds a nice touch in the homes or apartment.

You know what they say, if you don't like something, change the channel and don't watch it.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #644 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 06:59 PM

Agreed, I love this channel and have it on quite often while listening to the radio or a few Cds
post #645 of 679 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 10:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Its a waste of channel # and Bandwith. What the purpose of it! Its stupid!
It appears to be a switched channel, so it's only a waste of bandwidth when someone's watching it.

BTW, my cat likes that channel. :-)
Closed Thread

Tags
new channels , rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in