Rogers HD Problems - Buffalo again? Please report here. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-01, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Rogers HD Problems - Buffalo again? Please report here.

Edit by 57. Many of you will remember the issues we had with Fox Buffalo for over a year. This was resolved in late 2007 with a firmware update.

It seems that now there are other issues that are affecting more Buffalo channels and perhaps Canadian Simsubs over these channels.

The issues are pixellation, sound dropouts, freezing (STBs), recordings truncated (PVRs), etc.

Please report here

I understand that others are having problems with their reception in HD, particularly ABC. but sometimes FOX as well. Occasionally there is audio loss as well. Rogers has phoned me back to tell me that the problems are solved, but they only get worse.
Has anyone had better experience with satellite HD? It could be a solution for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-01, 05:46 PM

Where are you located? What originating stations are you talkiing about? Please specify time/date of the problems. This is not a general problem system-wide.

Last edited by Cyclism; 2008-03-02 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote.
post #3 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-02, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Rogers HD reception

We are in Brantford and we get the feeds from Buffalo.

post #4 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-02, 03:09 PM

COTU.. Not sure how you know it's not a system-wide problem. Can you explain?

As far as I know, Rogers has admitted that the ABC freeze-ups are a system-wide problem. I'm also quite certain the lack of audio on FOX-HD Thursday night during American Idol (8-9) would have been a systemwide problem. But please, share whatever details you know with us.

I've been tempted to switch to satellite as well. In particular getting a direct TV dish, now that they use MPEG4. There is the hassle of going through a broker or finding a US friend to go through to get it, though.

ExpressVu unfortunately uses MPEG2 still (as far as I know), but they are supposed to switch to MPEG4 at some point. Once they do, I'll be tempted to ditch Rogers.
post #5 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-02, 05:21 PM

Sorry, what I meant was that these problems are not apparent in GTA (Markham). The audio on the CTV version of Idol 8-9 on Thursday was fine, in DD5.1.

Last edited by Cyclism; 2008-03-02 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote.
post #6 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-02, 05:23 PM

If the original tv programming comes from mpeg2, then there is no point to go from one lossy codec (mpeg2) to another lossy codec (mpeg4). Additional codec translation means more lossy loss.
post #7 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COTU View Post
Sorry, what I meant was that these problems are not apparent in GTA (Markham). The audio on the CTV version of Idol 8-9 on Thursday was fine, in DD5.1.
Yes, it was fine on CTV. It was not fine on FOX Buffalo, which was not simsubbed by CTV that night. The comment from the earlier poster was about FOX, not CTV.

Now, Tuesday and Wednesday night, CTV was not in DD5.1, but that's another issue.
post #8 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 08:21 AM
Eug
Veteran

OK, I'm glad the issues aren't just mine. I've been having problems with some American HD channels, like Fox with Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles. This is all new since about a week ago or so. CTV HD has been fine AFAIK. I guess I'll record it today on CTV instead of Fox.

Hopefully they'll get it fixed asap.
post #9 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 02:27 PM
Veteran

I've had PVR'd American Idol show screw up on me twice so far. Both recorded off FOX Buffalo. First time, two weeks ago, it only recorded 26 minutes of the 2hr show and when I played it back it was black and locked up my PVR. Had to reboot.

Second time, last week, it started playing, went black and froze up. Was able to recover without a reboot but I didn't try it again, I just deleted it.

Last week's BB9 had some issues for me as well. Video break ups and stuttering and audio drop outs off the Buffalo HD channel feed. Gave up recording BB9 off HD and started recording off Global SD (what's the point recording that show off an HD channel anyways?). Haven't watched yesterdays episode yet.

I also had some minor problems with last weeks episode of Lost but nothing too bad.

I'm in Scarborough.
post #10 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 08:15 PM

pixelation squares very annoying

I have Rogers High def and lately I seem to be seeing more and more of these little pixel squares flashing across the screen and sometimes momentarilly freezing the image. Whats the story with that? I never saw that on the not high def channels? Am I an isolated case here? Also I want to commet on the HD A&E channel. Am I nuts or is everything they show completely distorted? That is complete BS if I am paying for it and I think I am.
post #11 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-04, 12:06 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
A&E - see: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47501

Regarding the HD problems - they seem to be related to the Buffalo stations, or simsubs over Buffalo channels and there are many reports in various threads in this forum. I guess we need to figure out how to assemble new posts about the issue into one thread. I'll probably rename this thread.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #12 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-04, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post
If the original tv programming comes from mpeg2, then there is no point to go from one lossy codec (mpeg2) to another lossy codec (mpeg4). Additional codec translation means more lossy loss.
Except that ExpressVu takes the original MPEG-2 encoding and re-encodes it using MPEG-2 at a lower bitrate... If they instead re-encode using MPEG-4, it has the potential to look 99.9% as good as the original MPEG-2 signal. Of course, it will never look better than the OTA broadcast, unless they get some special feed from the stations, etc., etc.
post #13 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-04, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Regarding the HD problems - they seem to be related to the Buffalo stations, or simsubs over Buffalo channels... I'll probably rename this thread.
Sounds good. I suspect there are at least two problems:

1) Rogers simsub equipment is faulty or is set up or used improperly, especially for manual override situations (explains FOX-HD Buffalo audio issue for American Idol at least)

2) Rogers' equipment can simply not handle the ABC-HD Buffalo signal properly. Something in the signal or some property of the signal is causing Rogers' equipment to mangle it (explains freeze-ups on ABC-HD Buffalo). It's established that the OTA broadcast does not have these freeze-ups.

As for NBC issues, I haven't experienced any of those, nor have I seen or heard of any issues with CBS (other than complete loss of the audio and constant switching back and forth between CBS's and CTV's video during the final Patriots regular season football game which is explained by my point #1.. Rogers was trying to do a 3-way simsub with only 2-3 days notice and failed miserably).

I think keeping a log of issues related to these channels would be helpful, but we shouldn't even bother listing ABC-HD freeze-ups since every show I've watched in the past 2 months has had them.
post #14 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-04, 06:46 AM

I'm starting to get a lot of HD blips *everywhere* these days. Sunday's taping of Dexter (CTV simsubbed over NBC) had about 15-20 noticable blips throughout. However tonight's Medium (CTV simsubbed over NBC) was fine.

The west coast feeds, on the other hand, are starting to feel a bit more solid than usual... I had no trouble taping Sunday's Fox lineup from Seattle - usually there's SOMETHING wrong with it...
post #15 of 179 (permalink) Old 2008-03-04, 08:32 AM
Eug
Veteran

I was flipping through the channels yesterday (Mar. 3) and came across a completely audio-less Girlicious, but it was audio-less on both the US (can't remember which channel) and Canadian feed (CityTV?).

Considering both feeds had the exact same problem, with no video dropouts, maybe this is a completely different problem. Perhaps some engineer there has the same hatred of these music "reality" shows as I do and "accidentally" turned off the sound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in