Rogers Ontario Digital Cable Programming, Pricing and Packages Discussion - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-05-06, 03:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
While we are on the issue of value, paying $7/mo for Space is not good either. Crave offers STD and lots more (like all the Star Trek series) for $10/mo. It can be subscribed a month at a time and past episodes watched on demand.
Very true - I got it originally for The Last Ship and Doctor Who ... which I didn't see a better way of getting new episodes.

I have Crave already ... only $8.32 a month with the annual subscription (of $99.90) - I think I paid less than that, but that's what the renewal is currently listed at on my account. All the classic Trek is on Netflix too - though there's subtle differences - for example the TOS episodes are high-definition 4:3 on Netflix but 16:9 on Crave.

However, Crave is the only major service I use that's not available on my very stable Roku, and I have to use a relatively flakey Amazon Fire Stick for ... and it was just simpler to PVR ST on Space rather than deal with the Fire Stick - LOL! (the Fire Stick issues, other than being a relatively slow, poor, interface ... seems to be a fatal design flaw involving overheating. Generally if the stick is touching anything, and not suspended in mid-air, it overheats after about 30 minutes ... and you have to wait 5 minutes to cool down ... I see reports on the web, about people drilling holes in the casing to increase air circulation ...)

Probably better price points for my DSL as well - but if I can already watch everything I stream in HD, then it's hard to justify paying more for little benefit (our corporate network is it's own bottleneck that more bandwidth won't overcome).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-05-06, 04:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
What is the Ignite pricing like, with typical discounts?
I pay $67.99 + tax for Ignite 75 as part of my Internet/TV/Home Phone bundle.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #213 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-05-06, 04:11 PM
Veteran

Ah, that sounds interesting. But what do you mean "part of" ... wouldn't that include TV and Home Phone?

post #214 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-05-06, 04:23 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Well, yes. That's what bundle means. The bundle discount is $25.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #215 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-05-06, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
...the Fire Stick issues, other than being a relatively slow, poor, interface ... seems to be a fatal design flaw involving overheating. Generally if the stick is touching anything, and not suspended in mid-air, it overheats after about 30 minutes ... and you have to wait 5 minutes to cool down ... I see reports on the web, about people drilling holes in the casing to increase air circulation ...
This probably does not belong here, but since you mentioned it, I thought it might be useful to share my experience with Fire Stick. Ever since I got it, it has been absolutely fantastic. No overheating, very fast and reliable. Maybe, you've got a lemon; maybe I've got one from a good batch, I don't know, but it has been great so far.

And as for Rogers packages pricing, I had to downgrade a bit to keep the same price. I used to have Ignite 150 and Popular TV, now I'm down to Ignite 75 and Popular TV. The price is about the same as it used to be. Keeping Ignite 150 would have cost me considerably higher, based on the offers I was given. That didn't make much sense to me, so I went with slightly slower speed, and so far it is more than enough.
nfitz likes this.
post #216 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 01:19 AM
Veteran

I was on internet 35 with digital TV for years. Upgraded to internet 75mbps/200GB just over a year ago (for about the same price) and noticed a big difference in web site response times. That might have been partly due to a better modem. They wanted only $5 to go from Internet 75 to internet 150/unlimited when I renewed this year so I took that. There wasn't much difference in response apart from reduced download times for larger files. Not needing to monitor usage when doing a lot of streaming is worth the extra $5.
post #217 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 02:56 AM

I would have kept my 150 mbps, unlimited, but they wanted almost $30 more, compared to what I have now (75 mbps, unlimited and Popular TV). Performance wise, I do not see any significant difference between 75 and 150. Yes, 150 is twice as fast, but in real life, it doesn't mean much (for me anyway).
post #218 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 12:44 PM
Veteran

On Rogers web site, the current difference in price is listed as just $15. Actual cost may be less than that if an offer is available. Gigabit unlimited internet is $35 more than 75Mbps now. Not long ago it was about $75 more. Price points for internet have changed significantly in the past year. It looks like Rogers is matching TPIA prices.
post #219 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 05:05 PM

If you look only into the price difference between internet packages, it is one thing...it is unfortunately a completely different thing when it comes to Internet + Cable TV bundles. They just wouldn't give me 150 in that bundle (with Popular TV), unless I paid another $30-ish (it could have been a bit less, I forgot...but still way too much). I could try renegotiating the deal, but for now I'm happy with 75 mbps.
post #220 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-10-04, 01:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
So the pressure to coax customers to shell out and migrate to Ignite begins. I'm on Digital VIP and have seen several channels removed.
All it's going to do is push me to move away from cable earlier.
post #221 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-10-08, 11:31 AM

Is anyone else frustrated that Rogers didn't make us aware what channels they would be swapping in for Cosmo, IFC and Comedy Gold when they went off the air. I went to switch them out for new flex channels and it took me half an hour on the phone with my Ignite Concierge to figure out they randomly added 3 channels without informing me (BBC Earth, Nature and Cottage Life). If they had just sent an e-mail informing me of this or sent a message asking me to select replacement channels when these went off the air it would've saved me a lot of time and frustration. Eventually I figured this out and swapped in my preferred replacements (A-Side, BTN and GSN) but wouldn't it be nice to be informed!
post #222 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-10-08, 01:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I'm on Digital VIP and have seen several channels removed.
VIP has been deprecated for several years. It part of a general trend to remove popular channels from cheaper packages and push customers to buy more expensive packages. That's especially true for the new Rogers Digital and Ignite packages introduced in the last 2 years. Rogers is not alone in this. All the major BDUs have been doing this for over a decade.
post #223 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-10-08, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgut View Post
Is anyone else frustrated that Rogers didn't make us aware what channels they would be swapping in for Cosmo, IFC and Comedy Gold when they went off the air.
My package (VIP) only includes (included) Cosmo. At the bottom if my August bill it says

"The broadcaster for CosmoTV has decided to stop offering this channel starting October 1, 2019, which means it will no longer be available as part of your TV package. Although this decision is beyond our control, we understand that this change can be frustrating. If you pay a separate monthly service fee for this channel, you will no longer be charged as of this date." No substitution, just one less channel, but no reduction in price.

I never watched that channel and now the IPG says "Channel no longer broadcasting". I only found out just now by lookong through recent bills on line. But you're right, Rogers should proactively inform customers of such changes or removals.
post #224 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-10-08, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
...Rogers should proactively inform customers of such changes or removals.
Is putting the following information in your (August?) bill not proactive enough?

Quote:
The broadcaster for CosmoTV has decided to stop offering this channel starting October 1, 2019, which means it will no longer be available as part of your TV package. Although this decision is beyond our control, we understand that this change can be frustrating. If you pay a separate monthly service fee for this channel, you will no longer be charged as of this date.
To ensure your TV package won't be disrupted, if you subscribe to CosmoTV as part of a Customer Choice Package (Pick 5, 10, 15, 20 or 30) or to the Mix Pack (15, 20, or 30), we will automatically replace it. If you would
like to select something different, we'll be happy to help you choose
from over 50 channels in our Digital Specialty line-up. Feel free to give us a call at 1-888-ROGERS1 and we can make that change for you.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #225 of 257 (permalink) Old 2019-10-08, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Is putting the following information in your (August?) bill not proactive enough?
No, because my bills are paid automatically by per-authorized bank withdrawal and only change each time there's an increase. I never get a notification if there's a new note at the bottom of the bill regarding channel deletions or changes. In order to see if there were any changes I had to go on line and look at my recent bills. If I get an email of a Rogers bill payment and tere's no change in the amount, it doesn't tell me there's a note about channel changes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in