Rogers Ontario 2014 New Channels Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-05, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Rogers Ontario 2014 New Channels Discussion

Please use this thread to discuss new channels on Rogers Ontario. Here's the link to last year's thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=158785

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-07, 04:48 PM

Location: London Ontario, Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, HTPC, PS3, PS4
Is there a reason why I can't get the "free preview" of MLB Network on my rogers package (London Ontario) I tried channel 415 and nothing......

Is it only in select sectors of Ontario?

This is getting beyond ridiculous.....when are they going to launch? its not hard.....should be similar to NFL network which is on 549 HD,

I have been dying to get this station on board, and like you mentioned above, the winter meetings would of been perfect time to bust out with a promo.

Funny thing is, I recently programed my new Harmony Touch Remote and was adding "favorite" stations from there logitech site, and pointed towards Rogers as my cable provider, and located my location (London) and what do I find on channel 415? MLB Network, but when I go to that station its blank.

Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, HTPC, PS3, PS4, Harmony Remote
post #3 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-08, 09:05 AM
Rookie

Wow! I just checked it & it's there! In HD. I am shocked. I am in Midland, which is on the Owen Sound grid, so I would bet that London has it now too.

post #4 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-08, 11:34 AM
Veteran

As mentioned HERE, MLB Network launched today on Channel 415, with Auto Tune enabled. Anyone have an idea what package this will wind up in at the end?
post #5 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-08, 12:14 PM

Location: London Ontario, Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, HTPC, PS3, PS4
Thanks, I just got the email from mlb.com that it is finally launched in Canada today, they must of read my mind.....

Can't wait to get home and check this out, and its in HD too? bonus.

One question, really hope that it is not an extra charge for this station, (example if they group it in the sports specialty package) I always found it odd that NHL Network and now maybe MLB Network are in a package, and NFL Network is seperate and part of the basic TV package or Digital Plus Package, or at least the VIP package from Rogers.

Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, HTPC, PS3, PS4, Harmony Remote
post #6 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-08, 12:58 PM

Yes Just noticed MLB Network now.

Now they have to launch FXX Canada in January

Rogers Digtal Cable,PVR8642HD/PVR8000, VIP ULTIMATE+TMN Playboy, Hustler, Super , WWE 24/7, BELL TV 9241PVRHD,
post #7 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-08, 01:47 PM

It's about time. I wonder if it was added now, so they will have another channel to use to air blue jays games when their is a conflict with their new nhl package and not have give it to someone like tsn or CBC
post #8 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-08, 02:15 PM
Veteran

I doubt it. Rogers has Sportsnet One, Sportsnet Regionals, Sportsnet 360 and Citytv to air games.
post #9 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-08, 02:47 PM
Veteran

Agreed. But now with Rogers owning all NHL rights, they will need a place to shift non-Blue Jays MLB games in March (MLB preseason), April, September (NHL preseason) and October. Of course they can always leave them for MLBEI as well.
post #10 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-08, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many7695 View Post
It's about time. I wonder if it was added now, so they will have another channel to use to air blue jays games when their is a conflict with their new nhl package and not have give it to someone like tsn or CBC
Rogers doesn't own or run MLB Network. They are taking the feed directly from MLB Studios in the US. The have no say over what games air on the network. They are just the first provider in Canada to offer the channel.
post #11 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-08, 09:30 PM
Veteran

Not totally true. Rogers via ownership of the Blue Jays controls the distribution rights to all MLB games. MLB Network shows games and Rogers could force those games to be blacked out. My above reference to shifting games was meant in the context of games that may air on MLB Network and would normally be blacked out (similar to how games on NFL Network are blacked out when Sportsnet has those games) may wind up making it to air during the above noted months. Or at the end of the day Rogers may just not care at all.
post #12 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-09, 03:23 AM

I doubt Rogers would black out games that, MLB requested Rogers to support the Channel to be launched in Canada and being the first network to offer it .

Rogers Digtal Cable,PVR8642HD/PVR8000, VIP ULTIMATE+TMN Playboy, Hustler, Super , WWE 24/7, BELL TV 9241PVRHD,
post #13 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-09, 09:39 AM
Veteran

MLB Network will probably be a lot like NFL Network. No live games will be shown as they don't own national rights in Canada. Alternate programming will likely be shown during live games.

This is why the channel took so long to become available. MLB Network wanted a very high price for carriage on Canadian systems even though there would likely be no live games. They have probably softened their price a little and that is why it has finally made an appearance in Canada.
post #14 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-09, 10:41 AM
Veteran

Maybe Rogers got a better deal because of their clout with MLB and the Blue Jays, and I'm curious if other providers will carry it, or will it be too expensive for them, and become a Rogers exclusive. I'm sure we'll see live games unless Rogers is airing a particular game on one of it's Sportsnet channels. Rogers owns the MLB game rights in Canada and its up to them if MLB Network can air the game in Canada. We can't compare this to the NFL Net situation with live games, it's completely different
post #15 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-01-09, 11:02 AM
Veteran

I don't see why Rogers would want to give away advertising revenue to a channel they do not own. Yes, Rogers sponsored the channel to be available in Canada but that was in return for getting access to MLB Network games on Rogers Sportsnet as well as a few other programs. If there is any live matches on MLB Network in Canada it will probably be very limited.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in