Rogers Ontario 2014 New Channels Discussion - Page 19 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #271 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-20, 06:28 PM
Veteran

^^^^
In addition to Seattle, I also get one channel each from Boston, Atlanta, NYC, Chicago and LA in HD.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-20, 06:55 PM
Veteran

WSBK, WPIX, WGN, and KTLA (Boston, New York, Chicago, and LA) - aren't available in the SD Timeshifting package. They are part of the much older scheme - originally only available with the Canadian super stations like First Choice (TMN) and SuperChannel. Though I used to get them, I think, in that Rogers HD package I dropped when they moved TSN HD to simple VIP.

WPCH (Atlanta - formerly WTBS) is available in both SD and HD in the VIP package. WPCH HD is at channel 47, so presumably it's part of other cheaper packages too. Not sure when it transitioned from the same status as the other 4.

These days WGN, WPIX, and KTLA are all CW affiliates, and there is CW affiliate WNLO (channel 23 from Buffalo) also carried in SD on basic cable (channel 166). Not sure why this isn't carried in HD yet - as far as I know, WNLO only has an HD signal these days, so rather unsporting of Rogers to only carry it in SD!

Meanwhile WSBK is now a MyNetworkTV affiliate - like WNYO (basic cable channel 167) which like WNLO is also bizarrely available in SD.

I don't find much on any of these channels that I can't find elsewhere on channels I do get. Though there used to be some Chicago and Boston sports stuff - not sure these days.
post #273 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-20, 11:11 PM

If an HD version exists, than any customer that gets the channel should have it, period. I don't get how this isn't the case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

LG 50PJ550 / Samsung HW-D650s
Cisco 9865 PVR

post #274 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-20, 11:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes108 View Post
If an HD version exists, than any customer that gets the channel should have it, period. I don't get how this isn't the case.
Are there any examples of this not happening in any current Rogers packages? I don't get it in the Timeshifting Package, but I thought that was grandfathered, and no longer sold.
post #275 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-21, 12:01 AM

I have the Rogers VIP regular package and don't get any west coast U.S. timeshift channels. Ant not many of the Canadian time shift channels are HD. At one time Rogers had a list of time shift channels on line, but now I have to go searching.
post #276 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-21, 09:07 AM
Veteran

^^^^
In my experience, only Toronto area and Vancouver stations are HD. All the other Canadian stations, from Winnipeg, Calgary, Halifax, etc., are SD.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #277 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-21, 09:38 AM

The West Coast US HD Channels are available as part of the HD Specialty Pack for $9.95 a month.

According to the Rogers site, at least for ABC, CBS and Fox Seattle. I used to get them all (ABC, CBS, Fox & NBC Seattle and more) when I had that Pack on top of my VIP, but since I got a Nextbox 3, I no longer needed the time shifting, so I cancelled the package.

Remember Rogers site is notoriously wrong for channel lineups, for example the above package according to the site gets you TSN2, which I know you don't need that package for.
post #278 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-21, 11:54 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
Remember Rogers site is notoriously wrong for channel lineups, for example the above package according to the site gets you TSN2, which I know you don't need that package for.
Is TSN2 HD officially in the VIP pack now? I thought it was just on free-preview now (for a couple of years?), and they hadn't made an official decision. Though after years that's starting to sound silly.
post #279 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-21, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
Are there any examples of this not happening in any current Rogers packages? I don't get it in the Timeshifting Package, but I thought that was grandfathered, and no longer sold.
I haven't verified these very recently, but last I checked I believe some were: H2, Teletoon, Teletoon retro, G4/techtv (although to be fair I'm not positive the "Canadian version" of tech tv has hd anywhere else).

And any channels that don't exist in HD are pretty sad at this point as well.

Edit: just found this list:

http://www.mcquarrieweb.ca/TVGuideWe...php?BDU=Rogers

Most of those channels are of no consequence to me, so the situation admittedly isn't add dire as I had thought, perhaps. But still, it should all be hd by now anyways, as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

LG 50PJ550 / Samsung HW-D650s
Cisco 9865 PVR
post #280 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-21, 12:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes108 View Post
I haven't verified these very recently, but last I checked I believe some were: H2, Teletoon, Teletoon retro, G4/techtv (although to be fair I'm not positive the "Canadian version" of tech tv has hd anywhere else).
I wasn't thinking of channels that are available in HD but Rogers only carries in SD. I was thinking of channels that Rogers does carry in HD, but some current (as opposed to grandfathered) package only include in SD.
post #281 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-22, 01:44 PM
Rookie

thanks for the link Holmes, yeah it's pretty surprising, I mean the fact that Rogers doesn't carry...
BBC World News
BET
Cartoon Network
CMT
CNBC
MSNBC
FoxNews
G4 Canada
Speed
...in HD is pretty odd. These are all pretty substantial cable channels. Others are more understandable but as far as I know there is NO reason not to have these HD channels. Unless Rogers has given a reason, it's just so odd, Rogers isn't a small time cable company.

I'd love this thread to be more about the new channels being added rather than talking about the ones they don't have...but what new channels?
post #282 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-22, 07:44 PM

Don't bring up Speed.....for the love of God don't bring up Speed....
post #283 of 283 (permalink) Old 2014-12-31, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
This thread is now closed and has been split into 2 threads:

Rogers Ontario Channel Discussion Thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=227306

Rogers Ontario Official Channel Announcement Thread

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=227314

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in